Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Naphiel wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the game focus on blocking and punishing more than combos?

The game is more on punishing with combos:p Combos play a huge part which is the reason they give you a breaker with 2 bars. It can be a life saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I haven't really experimented with any serious combos since I've been playing story mode and it changes character every 3 or so fights.

I'll look into it soon, otherwise I'll get my ass kicked when I try play against anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

God if I have to play against one more noob using smoke/scorpion I'll crack up...seems they can't play without a teleport character..
    anyway Cage's the man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I swear a man just appeared on the bottom right of my screen for a second. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I swear a man just appeared on the bottom right of my screen for a second. :pac:
    Nah, you're just seeing things. Maybe you should check if the heating's on in your house. Hallucinations are known to occur if you get too toasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Dan "toasty" Forden. He did that in MK2. Connect with an uppercut and his face would appear and shout toasty. They brought that back for nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Only ever rented Armageddon when I was younger.

Got this friday just based on hype and reviews. Having ridiculous amounts of fun with it. Finished the story mode, cheap bosses and tag matches n all, and I'm working my way through Arcade tower with everyone.

I love games that have easter eggs and secrets and random stuff you dont notice for months. Same goes for collectables everywhere and plenty of gamemodes I'll probably barely use. This game has everything I want in a fighting game!

Very pleased, cant wait to take it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

ShaneU wrote: »
    The last challenge is ridiculous, does it get any easier after
    kintaro?
    Yeah, mileena next then a bit of a health regen of shao khan

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

There was some great high level play over the weekend at the power up 2011 tourney (vids are prob in a link through the usual sites). Some Tom Brady/Bradley guy was giving really good information breaking down each match on screen, was a welcome change from SSF4 streams that just talk about justin wong.
    Sc@recrow wrote: »
    God if I have to play against one more noob using smoke/scorpion I'll crack up...seems they can't play without a teleport character..
    anyway Cage's the man :D

Very little of this happened at the tourney, those who tried got raped :D It was cool to see how to punish those moves properly too doin 30-40% damage. Still waiting for good netcode to play online tho, its just not fun at the moment.

Oh and Doom i think Sub Zero is the guy for you, very Guile-ish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

So I watched a wee video a few weeks ago about an arcade fight stick for this game. I think it came as a extra special edition. Has anyone got it, and is it good? More importantly, can it be purchased seperate from a copy of the game. I find the thumbstick on the 360 controller to be giving me a pain in the as with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

deathrider wrote: »
    So I watched a wee video a few weeks ago about an arcade fight stick for this game. I think it came as a extra special edition. Has anyone got it, and is it good? More importantly, can it be purchased seperate from a copy of the game. I find the thumbstick on the 360 controller to be giving me a pain in the as with this one.
    Tournament edition wasn't released in ireland AFAIK. It's a beast of a thing for a fight stick compared to others

Tournament edition wasn't released in ireland AFAIK. It's a beast of a thing for a fight stick compared to others

Aw, major disappointment that. I might go hunting and see if they can be bought online and delivered here. I'd love to get my hands on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The xbox dpad actually works really well in this. I've never used the thumbstick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

So I watched a wee video a few weeks ago about an arcade fight stick for this game. I think it came as a extra special edition. Has anyone got it, and is it good?

Silver Steez got one I believe. He better be bringing it over to my gaf for the next casuals session too!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Online match making for ranked match is horrible :( plus matches are oh so laggy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    Online match making for ranked match is horrible :( plus matches are oh so laggy

Yeah I'm done with online excpet for private matches. Spent 35 minutes trying to get any kind of online game yesterday but failed.

If you want private games, pm me! Really looking forward to playing this at casuals. Settled on using my xbox controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yeah waiting round for ranked matches can take ages. Have to say if you join a room that says europe or a european country, games seem grand and there is no waiting as you can either join king of the hills or just challenge someone individually.

Private matches work perfect for me aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Challenge Tower 251 - Grrrrrr :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

Only noticed this thread today, sitting in work. I picked this up about two weeks ago and I'm playing it every free minute I get. I liked MK vs DC but the whole 3D fighting system was old and dead. I absolutely LOVE what they've done with this one, bringing it back to the 2D style really brings the nostalgia back for me anyway.

The story mode was phenomenal, and I'm currently just under a third the way up the Challenge Tower (REALLY not looking forward to the higher up challenges). Haven't brought it online yet because PSN is down (Bought it on PS3 because I don't like the Xbox controller for fighting games) but from what I've heard about laggy games I'll probably leave the online except for private matches.

What's everyone's favourite character? I haven't found mine yet as I find all of the characters are really well balanced (Well, Shao Kahn is still cheap as f**k but at least he's not playable in player v player). I have been using all of the ninja's a lot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Is there going be wii version of Mortal Kombat 9 in about a year time

like they did with Mortal Kombat Armageddon in
    June 15, 2007 on Wii

previous Mortal Kombat Armageddon was October 17, 2006 on xbox

previous Mortal Kombat Armageddon was October 27, 2006 on PS2

Challenge Tower 251 - Grrrrrr :mad:

Strangely enough I breezed through 251. I was dreading it, because I heard the Gamestop guys saying it was rough stuff, but I got through it in a few tries. The really odd thing there is the fact that I was stuck on 250 for aaaaaaaaaaaages before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    Is there going be wii version of Mortal Kombat 9 in about a year time

like they did with Mortal Kombat Armageddon in
    June 15, 2007 on Wii

previous Mortal Kombat Armageddon was October 17, 2006 on xbox

previous Mortal Kombat Armageddon was October 27, 2006 on PS2

Its extremely unlikely this will get a Wii port, it would have to be drastically down scaled. 99% of hardcore games from 3rd party developers don't do well on the Wii, and whilst Nintendo has gotten rid of most of its kiddy image, they are still the company who censored the original Mortal Kombat (and this one is WAY more violent).

What's everyone's favourite character? I haven't found mine yet as I find all of the characters are really well balanced (Well, Shao Kahn is still cheap as f**k but at least he's not playable in player v player). I have been using all of the ninja's a lot though.

Am still messing about with this game, it's gotten a reprieve after I got a few good online games lately and started to toy more with combos.

At the moment I'm using Cage, and playing around with sub zero who is actually really versatile and good for being tricky. That ice decoy thing is fantastic for defence. I plan to get to grips with raiden and smoke soon too. Cage is excellent, but I haven't made my mind up yet on the whole "parry x-ray" thing, whereas with sub zero you really have to respect him with full meter. His freeze shenanigans give him so many option select combos into his x-ray for big damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Scorchio MK7

Loving this Game. I used to play MK all the time back in my Childhood and this is almost the perfect next gen upgrade.

Ive been maining Smoke since he was my Fav in UMK3. Got the PS3 version though and im dying for a bit of online play, AI is grand and all but it still has a hint of old skool cheap MK AI so you can never tell how well your really playing.

Also any idea if there will be much of a scene in Ireland for this? Judging by looking at the Forums it seems to have its fans and could be pretty big. Would be nice to have something different from the Capcom and Arc games at tournaments :p.

I'm not sure if was it just a fluke but I found online to be significantly better last night. I had a number of lagless sets, and it was great to finally hit my juggle combos and set-ups against a human :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Also any idea if there will be much of a scene in Ireland for this? Judging by looking at the Forums it seems to have its fans and could be pretty big. Would be nice to have something different from the Capcom and Arc games at tournaments :p.

There will be a MK scene in Ireland if people like you who play the game get out there and make one.

The only reason there's an SF scene is because a couple of people decided they wanted to run tournaments.

In fact I think it'd be very easy for MK to get a scene relatively as you'd have the support infrastructure there for SF already (we have places to play tournaments, equipment for recording, etc, and we've already made all the mistakes that would face MK).

The game will die off though if everyone just sits in their bedroom playing story mode. It'll be fun while it lasts though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I was playing online yesterday and it was lag free for most games. Its strange. On some games I had four green lights with lag and others I had 4 green lights and it was perfect. Maybe its the meter system being too generous on connection speeds. As with all fighting games it makes a world of difference without lag. I am only playing with UK and Irish if I can help it.

Heres a suggestion...how about we try to maintain a room for us boarsies so we can all meet up in the same area.

For example, if we have a room called "zzzboardszzz", it would be at the bottom of the screen so we know if it's there, it's a boardsie looking for games. Obviously we would need two in there from the start but it would be savage to have a dozen of us in there for a night of decapitation, evisceration and baby making (no I will not be making any babies in the usual sense)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Heres a suggestion...how about we try to maintain a room for us boarsies so we can all meet up in the same area.

For example, if we have a room called "zzzboardszzz", it would be at the bottom of the screen so we know if it's there, it's a boardsie looking for games. Obviously we would need two in there from the start but it would be savage to have a dozen of us in there for a night of decapitation, evisceration and baby making (no I will not be making any babies in the usual sense)!

Great idea. I will look out for that. I will be on XBL today from about 4 to 6 to test it out if anyone is interested? My tag is Plumpynuter.

Advertisement