Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

Been playing scorpion and when I first got the game I was pissed because in the move list they didn't have the fire flip kick he had in the ps2 games.Then I played storymode and I saw the CPU do it.... then I saw this gameplay at around 18 seconds he does it? did they remove it or can you do it and what is the move command?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3cS9ktERc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Getting stuck into the story now - Fighting as Smoke, he's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

VizardAnto wrote: »
    Been playing scorpion and when I first got the game I was pissed because in the move list they didn't have the fire flip kick he had in the ps2 games.Then I played storymode and I saw the CPU do it.... then I saw this gameplay at around 18 seconds he does it? did they remove it or can you do it and what is the move command?

Thats an old trailer, the games being changed a lot since. The demo on ps3 had combos that ye cant do now. That combo at 18 seconds isn't in it but something similar is. Forward Y back X Forward B is the input iirc. The flip kick comes out as the last part of the combo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

The Hound wrote: »
    Forward Y back X Forward B is the input iirc.
    I really dislike the way MK's Move Lists are making everyone use this notation. I have to translate all the inputs to my stick config every time I read a combo anywhere.
    I've noticed a few places have started using 1,2,3 and 4 in place of FP,BP,FK and BK (X,Y,A and B)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Considering the move list changes depending on what buttons you've set and a standard button config hasn't been accepted yet, it is for the best that notation uses either the correct terms for the moves, 1, 2, 3, 4 or A, B, C, D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Use 1, 2, 3, 4, B (for block).

Unless you want to alienate anyone who uses non-standard controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

What are peoples' opinions on the game? I have played a MK game since MKII on the Sega Megadrive, which I loved. I'm really tempted to get it but I also want Portal 2.

Is it similar in any way to other fighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

story mode is great, really well made.
    think im on jades chapter

i wish they had subzeros mk3 constume

Naphiel wrote: »
    What are peoples' opinions on the game? I have played a MK game since MKII on the Sega Megadrive, which I loved. I'm really tempted to get it but I also want Portal 2.

Is it similar in any way to other fighters?

If you like the originals, you'll love it :) The story mode is really fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The second part of Gametrailers' retrospective is up (looks at the 3D games):

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/part-ii-mortal-kombat/713237

And if you missed Placebo's post about the first part:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/part-i-mortal-kombat/712953

• Advertisement

I dont like the idea of explaing the button layout like that. so Forward 2back 4 forward 1+3 doesnt seem right. If ppl are you using that way explanation of button config then I'll adapt eay enough but I dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Placebo wrote: »
    i wish they had subzeros mk3 constume
    Ugh, no

Mr. K wrote: »
    The second part of Gametrailers' retrospective is up (looks at the 3D games):

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/part-ii-mortal-kombat/713237

And if you missed Placebo's post about the first part:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/part-i-mortal-kombat/712953

damn those 3D games did well, i remember hating them.
    Didnt midway go bankrupt at some stage too?

happy to see this new one back to its old roots.
    shocking how good it is when u look at the previous 3d versions

ShaneU wrote: »
    Ugh, no

why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The Hound wrote: »
    I dont like the idea of explaing the button layout like that. so Forward 2back 4 forward 1+3 doesnt seem right. If ppl are you using that way explanation of button config then I'll adapt eay enough but I dont like it.

Using the buttons on the pad doesn't make any sense cause people use different configs and the game is on two separate platforms though. So you gotta use 1234 or ABCD (1234 seems to have been taken as the standard so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Online is a joke.I can't get a game..when i do it's laggy as well.
    The thing is it never looks laggy,it's just all the inputs are delayed.I don't know what net code they have used but they disguise it well.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Using the buttons on the pad doesn't make any sense cause people use different configs and the game is on two separate platforms though. So you gotta use 1234 or ABCD (1234 seems to have been taken as the standard so far).
    Ye I dont mind, like I could adapt to any really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

VizardAnto wrote: »

I did his fire kick flip in the storymode , dunno how i did but it was awesome ;), its defiently in the game dont worry bout it .

Online is a joke.I can't get a game..when i do it's laggy as well.
    The thing is it never looks laggy,it's just all the inputs are delayed.I don't know what net code they have used but they disguise it well.

GGPO :pac:
    have u tried against a local paddy comrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Ahh is it.
    Maybe i'm just playing yanks all the time so.It just really annoyed the crap out of me earlier.
    game or two farz to test out the theory?

It's not GGPO is it? Never heard anything about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Placebo wrote: »
    GGPO :pac:
    have u tried against a local paddy comrade ?
    Shup farz, GGPO isn't that laggy for non-3S games.

It's not laggy for 3s either, just buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey a quick question. Just messing about with Kabal and managed a few combos around the 8-11 hit mark. Some of them go into an xray but in the damage it only will say "10 hit 33% damage" where as if you do kabals xray on its own it does 34% damage.

So are you better off not wasting an xray in a combo?

Anyone know any good sites that list good combos? I dont have a clue what all this 1,2,3 craic means either :confused:

joe123 wrote: »
    I dont have a clue what all this 1,2,3 craic means either :confused:

Me either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Hey a quick question. Just messing about with Kabal and managed a few combos around the 8-11 hit mark. Some of them go into an xray but in the damage it only will say "10 hit 33% damage" where as if you do kabals xray on its own it does 34% damage.

The damage is scaled if you combo into it. The shorter the combo the higher damage on the xray will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

bush wrote: »
    The damage is scaled if you combo into it. The shorter the combo the higher damage on the xray will be.

So whats the point in putting the effort into a long combo when a launcher and xray will do more damage?

66e67667245b401da47aa25.png
    LOL, its not GGPO, u got me , i troll i troll
    I've never had a fun match in GGPO, i had more fun and intense matches with Ramza and co before GGPO. It is very buggy, but thats the down fall of their algorithm. Will check out local MK soon Dave, im just pressing random buttons, also im using a controller.
    So whats the point in putting the effort into a long combo when a launcher and xray will do more damage?
    Its the same in SF4 as well?
    You can combo into an xray, hit confirm? rather than winging it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Because its gauranteed to hit if you combo into it instead of throwing it out random and hoping it hits. Keep the combo short if you want to land the xray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I dont have a clue what all this 1,2,3 craic means either :confused:

Yar, for max damage an X-Ray needs to be used by itself - however this is obviously very unsafe as it can be blocked and thus waste your whole meter. Every hit in a combo reduces the damage of the following hit, so linking into an X-Ray off a very short combo (ideally a single hit) is your best bet, though it will take a percentage or two off the X-Ray attack itself.
    Hit confirming was mentioned above. This just means hitting the opponent with a safe attack first (ie, a move that's fast enough that you're able to return to a block state faster than your opponent can attack you). If that attack hits, then follow with a more powerful combo or X-Ray. If that first safe attack doesn't land properly, the combo can be broken off safely.

The 1,2,3 craic is just notation for the different punches and kicks. Since the buttons on the PS3 and Xbox are different, and some people might be remapping their controls around we cant just use "Square, Triangle, Circle, X" or "A, B, X, Y" when listing out combos.

The numbers translate to this:
    1 - Front Punch (Square or X by default)
    2 - Back Punch (Triangle or Y by default)
    3 - Front Kick (X or A by default)
    4 - Back Kick (Circle or B by default)

So for example, Scorpion's spear would be written as "back, back+1" or "b,b+1"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

That 'focus' thing the bosses do is annoying as all hell. Getting hammered (literally) by Shaokahn at the moment and I might as well be idle as trying to land any combos.

Wait, scratch that. I just discovered the low fireball loop. I do love it when I beat AI at being cheap.

Advertisement