Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stupid offers on a private sale

Options
1235»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Jeez, Motors really is going to f*ck lately. Must say my expectations have dropped on some of the more seasoned posters here :rolleyes:

They're chancing their arm, better by text then if you actually met him and showed him the car if that's all he wants to part with :) When I was selling an old W124 I drove into Galway to meet a lad (was living in Roscam) one night at 10pm ish, he had a good look at it and testdrive. Was happy enough with it, offered me €450, I was asking €700. He didn't want to haggle at all, €450 take or leave, I said no bother so, thanks but no thanks. He then starts blowing on about how €450 is a lot of money and he's working all week to earn it bla bla bla. He was getting quite p1ssed off, raising his voice, was thinking he was losing it a bit. It was funny but then I was thinking this lad is a nutter so told him to get f***** with his €450 and off he went muttering away (not in English so dunno what he was saying, I reckon it was not nice anyway).

I got the €700 for that yoke about 3 weeks after that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

RoverJames wrote: »
    They're chancing their arm, better by text then if you actually met him and showed him the car if that's all he wants to part with :) When I was selling an old W124 I drove into Galway to meet a lad (was living in Roscam) one night at 10pm ish, he had a good look at it and testdrive. Was happy enough with it, offered me €450, I was asking €700. He didn't want to haggle at all, €450 take or leave, I said no bother so, thanks but no thanks. He then starts blowing on about how €450 is a lot of money and he's working all week to earn it bla bla bla. He was getting quite p1ssed off, raising his voice, was thinking he was losing it a bit. It was funny but then I was thinking this lad is a nutter so told him to get f***** with his €450 and off he went muttering away (not in English so dunno what he was saying, I reckon it was not nice anyway).

I got the €700 for that yoke about 3 weeks after that :)

seems there's some right ignorant 'buyers' out there. did you have to drive far to meet them?

i just googled his number and he's selling 3 other cars and a car transporter and a transit and all photos around 10 minutes from my house, he seems a bit of a driveway dealer. i've bargained him up to 400 lol. if he gives me another tenner its gone!

andyseadog wrote: »
    seems there's some right ignorant 'buyers' out there. did you have to drive far to meet them?

Just 10 mins or so, but he had no intention of parting with anywhere near €700. Sure a trip into Eyre Square on student night was never a bad ordeal :P All part of the fun, although I was reckoning he was going to slap me. Tracksuit pants and hooded leather jacket was his attire :cool:

All the other folk who ever viewed anything I was selling were salt of the Earth types.

If you are happy with €410, you can't complain about a €350 offer though. Always bargain in €20 at first when selling cheapies, he offers €350, your add says €570 so you say €550. Bit late now though. For a 97 Ka without a test €400 odd isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

RobAMerc wrote: »
    has anyone else tried selling a car privately recently?

were you plagued by stupid offers?

I am trying to sell a car @ 16250.
    So far I have been offered - sight unseen 14,500 by a BMW dealer ( its a BMW), 13,500 by someone who expected me to meet him 50miles away to show it to him, luckily I made it clear I needed to know if he was willing to pay the asking price before I travelled - he admitted he was thinking 13,500 :mad: and most ridiculously a guy offered me 8k and his 98 Mitsubishi.

I've also had 2 more serious offers via txt of 14k sight unseen.
    how do people think that 8k or even 13.5 k is a valid offer on something asking 16k plus

OK, after all these pages........and bear with me on this......

You accepted an offer in the end, that was within 1k of what the low-ball offer (13.5k), was. So, actually, he wasn't as far out with his offer price, as you were with your (acceptable) asking price.........which only leads me to believe that, you were asking a price you didn't actually expect to get, really. Otherwise you would have told the dealer to go and......whatever, as well.

And for some reason, you think 50 miles is too far (and only €10-worth of diesel to find out.....). For the same reason that you didn't expect to get asking price, unseen, why would a buyer offer asking price.......unseen. If you'd spent the €10-er on diesel, he might have been blown away by your spec, and you'd have had a sale. How much more is hard to know, but I think if we're honest here we'll all agree that a buyer always offers below his max budget.

This sort of reasoning makes me laugh. 'We' (petrolheads) give out about prices all the time, and then think nothing of hopping on Ryanair/Stena to save a few hundred sometimes ('to get the spec we really want.......' )........but you wouldn't go 50 miles ? What if your spec blew him away, and he came up.......€1500 ??

On a general note though, there's another reason for loo-lah low-ball offers. Every now and then, one of them works. It's happened to me. I've turned down offers for stuff that some time later I would have been happy to accept. It's called Circumstances. Oh, and 20/20 hindsight and all that.

You putting in your ad that you are just 'bored' comes out (rightly or wrongly) as 'I have loads of money' - and this is like a red rag to a bull as well. Using different language - even if the message was the same - would have possibly rendered 10 pages ..........moot.

Just my 0.02, is all.

Oh, and, re: houses: I build and sell them, and I regularly get 50% offers for my work. Sure they're mad, but I only need 1 good buyer - you need to look past all the flakes, and concentrate on the target.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What is the OP's problem? Offered over 85% of the asking price as an opening gambit and he's ****ing whinging about it? Nothing wrong with that offer. Maybe if he wanted to be taken seriously, he should have made a proper ad! 3 pics, none of the interior??!! Pretty much poverty spec car he's dressing up to be some sort of 'catch'? Who specs a 3 series with an auto box and leaves off the leather?! Claiming to have upgraded alloys when they are standard M Sports? Reg number also *suggests* it may be an import - prospective buyers may be justifiably worried that it has "lost" a few miles on the boat over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

RobAMerc wrote: »
    How bout I start txting you offering 400k and send a couple more
    wondering why you haven't got back to me or set up a meeting where you'd have to go through considerable hassle to meet me only for me to offer 600k when your house isn't far off the market value at 800k ?

would you get p*ssed off at that ?
    or to rant even more, how bout you go to blow off some steam on the housing forum to be told your house isn't worth 800k even though no one on it knows your house by some housing enthusiasts ? :D

Had plenty of stupid offers on my previous house.
    You get the rough with the smooth, there will be people who are not serious or don't have the money.
    It is a bit strange though that people text offers without having seen the car, but when it comes to selling you just have to stick to your guns and you will get your price if it reasonable.
    You can never get rid of people just browsing.
    If you get really annoyed at people buying stuff off you, the only solution is not to sell stuff.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

prospective buyers may be justifiably worried that it has "lost" a few miles on the boat over.
    Yeah, because someone who knows enough to suspect it may be an import, won't spend €20 getting a HPI report on a car costing €16,000.

Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

andyseadog wrote: »
    sorry this isin't in the current flow of conversation, but its in keeping with the thread title.

some of you may have seen my cheapy ka thats for sale.

up for 570.

just got a text offering 350.

i know i've been clear in the advert what it does and doesn't need. but how do people feel justified to offer so little immediately without even viewing the car.

Reply back telling him
    "Thanks for your offer of €650, it is acceptable. When can you collect the car?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

this has become the most tedious thread i have seen i na long time and should be locked , blocked, or finished immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

dharn wrote: »
    this has become the most tedious thread i have seen i na long time and should be locked , blocked, or finished immediately

Indeed - which brings me to an idea I had.......there's a 'thanks' icon on each post, to speed up ....acquiesance........if we had a 'no thank's icon, as a sign of disapproval, or contrary view, we could cut this thread - and quite a few others - to half the length :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

galwaytt wrote: »
    Indeed - which brings me to an idea I had.......there's a 'thanks' icon on each post, to speed up ....acquiesance........if we had a 'no thank's icon, as a sign of disapproval, or contrary view, we could cut this thread - and quite a few others - to half the length :D

I have a global "no thanks" button, which I'm exercising right now.

Thread closed before people start crossing the line with "banter" and get themselves infracted/banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement