Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stupid offers on a private sale

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Seriously what the big effing deal about telling us the make model?? Is it because youve already led us down a path with the 'rare desirable ' car bit or that people weren't rowing in behind you agreeing that an offer of 10% below asking was 'stupid'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Somebody might call and offer the full amount therefore making this thread a waste of time

haha - would have been well worth the thread then no ?
    listermint wrote: »
    But op is calling posters puppets without giving details for anyone to make an informed decision.

I am not posting a link because what you think the car is worth is irrelevant - if people think the car is overpriced they should skip it and move on, not start txting and mailing the owner repeatedly with offers 2.5k below the asking price. or should they ?
    I don't understand the need for the thread.

Either OP wants advice on what a reasonable offer is or just wants to rant about people calling making offers. I reckon the ad has been updated with the line "NO MORE RIDICULOUS OFFERS"

yes - admittedly the thread is a rant, as explained before I don't feel people should be offering silly prices for cars. My point about the dealer offer wasn't that it was a silly offer, it was to show that the car was reasonably priced as no dealer would be offering to buy a car out of the blue if they couldn't make significant money on it imo.

I am currently in the market for a house. What I believe are reasonable prices to pay are nowhere near what I am seeing houses being advertised at, but I am not going around making appointments to see houses and then making offers at no where near the vendors expected price or txting offers out of the blue am I ?
    Again I have no expectation to make the asking - I also have no expectation to sell it for even 10% off asking, that's not the way I do business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

OP

either I'm a bad detective or....
    this is your car OP but says that is sold
    I based the detective work on the description of the car

Rare m-sport 6 speed auto diesel estate. 2 previous owners, 5k miles on new tyres, nct 03/12, 15k to next service, tax 04/12. Black Alcantara interior, climate control, upgraded alloys. Nice car in great condition. May p/x Cayenne, CLS, XC90 with cash

I am selling this because I am bored and looking for something new. I am not strapped for cash. I am not interested in doing a deal to include 8k a pot belly pig and a sterile goat thanks. - no more dreamers pls.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1916211

you mentioned something in your original post that possibly gave you away

and most ridiculously a guy offered me 8k and his 98 Mitsubishi.

did I solve the mystery!!!

lol, well done. How'd you find it once it was marked sold? i was using google as well as cached pages, and still didnt come across that one.

So how much did you get RobAMerc?

RoverJames wrote: »
    lol €16250 for a 2006 320d tourer, no mention of mileage. What class of a **** (insert expletive of choice) dealer offered €14oddK for that :D

Full?id=5384900

http://photos.donedeal.ie/photos/Full?id=5384899

14.5k and its a well know ex bmw dealer in south county Dublin.

and in fairness James they wouldn't need to do a whole lot of homework to know a sh1t load more about cars and their value than you do.

God almighty, where did I put my popcorn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

RobAMerc wrote: »

and in fairness James they wouldn't need to do a whole lot of homework to know a sh1t load more about cars and their value than you do.

I thought you said above you wouldn't sell it for less than 10% of the asking price?

I make it if you sold it for 14.5k thats 11.7% off the asking price

I thought you said above you wouldn't sell it for less than 10% of the asking price?

no no - I didn't sell it for 14.5k I was offered it by the dealer cash money, I removed the add because I was sick of stupid offers - hence starting this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

no no - I didn't sell it for 14.5k I was offered it by the dealer cash money, I removed the add because I was sick of stupid offers - hence starting this thread.

What did you get for it then 10-11k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

is it really sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

whats the difference of selling it to the dealer or johnny on the street for 14.5k, its the same amount no matter who it comes from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Take it and run

So your trying to sell an unadvertised car and you created this thread to rant?

I'm really confused now.

Your being hostile to everyone, your not willing to advertise the car now and now you seem to be confused about what your doing.

I must have hit a nerve :P
    That yoke is no more rare or desirable than what I'll be leaving down the toilet tomorrow :pac:
    I apologise if I hit a nerve though, I'll say no more as I don't want to get on the wrong side of Rambo http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71131615#post71131615 :pac:

Tigger wrote: »
    is it really sold?

Nope, he said he'll have to try and trade it in, he had to mark it as sold incase the timewasters increased over the course of the night :)

Boards Motors Forum...a dangerous place to be sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You're all annoying me now

Don't get personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

whistles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Lads, in fairness I kinda see where RobAMerc is coming from. I think that there's a lot of keyboard warriors in this thread, who don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to pricing cars.

Yes, it is a much tougher market to sell a car in these days, but with the shortage of decent used cars out there, pricing has firmed up, and I think that the OP was right to hold out for a better offer. The fact that a BMW dealer is buying stock from Donedeal says alot about that.

If I advertised my car for 16250 (and that price was in and around the market value) I wouldn't entertain any offer below 15k. I don't think I'd sell the car for less than 15500 either. There seems to be an element of people out there who think that because you are selling a car you must be A) Broke, B) Desperate to sell to keep your home C) All of the above, and as such make stupid offers. Nobody seems to realise that some people actually sell their car to get a newer, better one.

I must have hit a nerve :P
    That yoke is no more rare or desirable than what I'll be leaving down the toilet tomorrow :pac:
    I apologise if I hit a nerve though, I'll say no more as I don't want to get on the wrong side of Rambo http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71131615#post71131615 :pac:
    Nope, he said he'll have to try and trade it in, he had to mark it as sold incase the timewasters increased over the course of the night :)

seriously lads - is this why no genuine motoring enthusiasts are left on motors ? I mean spending your Sunday night searching the web for an ad of a car that the seller decided to pull because of a litany of silly offers?

sad, very very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lads, in fairness I kinda see where RobAMerc is coming from. I think that there's a lot of keyboard warriors in this thread, who don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to pricing cars.

Yes, it is a much tougher market to sell a car in these days, but with the shortage of decent used cars out there, pricing has firmed up, and I think that the OP was right to hold out for a better offer. The fact that a BMW dealer is buying stock from Donedeal says alot about that.

If I advertised my car for 16250 (and that price was in and around the market value) I wouldn't entertain any offer below 15k. I don't think I'd sell the car for less than 15500 either. There seems to be an element of people out there who think that because you are selling a car you must be A) Broke, B) Desperate to sell to keep your home C) All of the above, and as such make stupid offers. Nobody seems to realise that some people actually sell their car to get a newer, better one.
    If no one's offering the asking price then what are you going to do? Keep the car forever?

Some folk have to face facts and realise a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

So you reckon as a private sale a 2006 320d tourer is going to go for..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

scanlone wrote: »

Have one in for 13000ish

But thats not the same rare desirable colour:D

The OP never said the car was rare or desirable, from what I can see.

ottostreet wrote: »
    The OP never said the car was rare or desirable, from what I can see.

It did in the first post unless its been removed

There's a premium on black these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If no one's offering the asking price then what are you going to do? Keep the car forever?

Some folk have to face facts and realise a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If the price is right in the first place you won't have this problem. As I mentioned above, price the car based on the current market value.
    So you reckon as a private sale a 2006 320d tourer is going to go for..............

I wouldnt know, because I've never owned a 2006 320d tourer, or sold one privately, so accordingly I've kept my mouth shut on the price speculation.

What makes you think its a big car?
    I was offered 16.5k for it as a trade in and the BMW dealer rang me offering to buy it cash for 14.5k - how often does that happen if it wasn't a rare desirable car ?

:)

thank you, I don't give a flying what anyone else thinks this is worth, my point is I wouldn't ring anyone anyone offering what I thought it was worth or whatever I found in the bottom of my pocket. If the car was something I was after and at a price I thought was reasonable I'd try do a deal if not I would leave well enough alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

What makes you think its a big car?
    I was offered 16.5k for it as a trade in and the BMW dealer rang me offering to buy it cash for 14.5k - how often does that happen if it wasn't a rare desirable car ? and what does he think he could have sold it for if he was willing to buy it for 14.5k.
    his words not mine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement