Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stupid offers on a private sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

RobAMerc wrote: »
    What makes you think its a big car?
    I was offered 16.5k for it as a trade in and the BMW dealer rang me offering to buy it cash for 14.5k - how often does that happen if it wasn't a rare desirable car ? and what does he think he could have sold it for if he was willing to buy it for 14.5k.

I realise there is a lot of people stuck for money, but 14.5k is not a reasonable offer on something priced at 16,250. If you don't think it's worth 16,250 don't offer anything, go find something else!

I have bought and sold a lot of cars privately through the years, people come to see stuff, offer 500 less than asking with the expectation of getting it for 250 off, not 2k off !

Why didn't you take the 16.5K trade in? You are buying another car, right?

Sounds to me like you want someone to meet your asking price for a cash sale, so that you can make a low-ball cash offer for your next car.

It's called having your cake, and eating it too :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have bought and sold a lot of cars privately through the years, people come to see stuff, offer 500 less than asking with the expectation of getting it for 250 off, not 2k off !

im afraid those days are gone OP.
    14.5k on a 16k car is a great offer imho.

last year i bought an E90 for over 3k off the list price by playing hard ball and walking away onky for the dealer to call me back inside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

14,5k offer from dealer was not bad. You would sell it with less hassel then private seller too. As dealer would look at what he needs, then in 5 secs tell: yes or no.

If you expecting to get same price as dealer offered you as trade in... Well good luck... We all know dealer will tell you higher price that he gives you for you car, while at the same time he bumps up the price on his own car he sells to you...

Offer of 8k is silly, offer of 1.5k less im cash, then you asking is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think we need to be careful about pigeon-holing what is, and isn't a fair offer. So far in the thread we've a carte-blanche about 14.5k being a fair offer on a 16k odd car - but would that also hold true if that car was by far the cheapest car like for like on the Internet for sale?

I just think the mindset of 'whatever the price is, offer 3k less' doesn't always apply, and has the potential to screw up a lot of sales for people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think we need to be careful about pigeon-holing what is, and isn't a fair offer. So far in the thread we've a carte-blanche about 14.5k being a fair offer on a 16k odd car - but would that also hold true if that car was by far the cheapest car like for like on the Internet for sale?

I just think the mindset of 'whatever the price is, offer 3k less' doesn't always apply, and has the potential to screw up a lot of sales for people out there.

Well yeah, but if dealer offering same car for 16k too, which one you would go see first, if youbwould be an average Irish Joe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well yeah, but that's not the point I made.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

I sold an 06 Accord a few weeks ago. The guy came and looked at the well priced and good condition car.

I said to him that it was well priced and that I could only give him 50 quid off as it was well priced. He agreed and bought the car.

Happy days all around. I sold it and he got it at a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

So are we gonna find out what kind of BMW this is? I'm curious to know which model the BMW garage is interested in. I'm guessing not mine...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yep, right now we're diagnosing the problem without seeing the patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

kceire wrote: »
    im afraid those days are gone OP.
    14.5k on a 16k car is a great offer imho.

last year i bought an E90 for over 3k off the list price by playing hard ball and walking away onky for the dealer to call me back inside :D

would totally agree with kceire here. it's a buyers market and offers are always gonna be way below what u think its worth. sometimes both sides will meet somewhere in the middle. as it stands its about 10% off which is defo fair imo

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think people are saying it's a reasonable offer, not a 'stupid offer' as the OP is making out. Whether it is fair or not is another thing, but generally private sellers overprice by 15-20% imo, until their car has been on sale for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

This thread made me lol so much.

Thanks RobAMerc for the delusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've seen plenty of threads on Adverts where someone offers maybe 80% of the asking price, the seller laughs and tells them to feck off, then weeks or maybe months later the car still hasn't sold and the seller has lowered the asking price to below the offer he scoffed at.

The problem is that people see a realistic offer on an over priced car and then think they should apply the same percentage discount to a keenly priced car. I sold my wifes car for €3,400 last year, it was advertised at what at the time was a competitive price of €3,700, I could have sold 10 of them if I had them, given the level of interest by phone.
    The adverts add is
    http://touch.adverts.ie/car/other-cars/other-cars/2004-nissan-micra-1-0-5-door-metalic-gold/214012
    I don't know if that guy ever got his second car, but to get a good deal, you either move quickly on a keenly priced motor or bide your time with an overpriced one. Making silly offers on keenly priced cars will leave you disappointed every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads - I'm not going to tell ye what the car is as I think I might as well keep the suspense. And I'm delighted you guys are so well able to tell me the value of the car without even knowing what car it is, what condition its in etc. I'm even being called delusional when you don't know what the fupp I am selling :D

As for 14.5k being a stupid offer, the way I look at it is if a dealer is willing to pay that much for it cash then its got to be worth more to a private buyer ( those this not make sense to anyone else here ?)

I'm on car 36 or 37 at this stage, I've only bought about 5 of these via dealers, I never expected not to haggle with serious buyers, but I never sold a car for less than 5% off what I advertised it for.

I'm glad I started this thread now as if the boards motors form is a sample of the muppetry thats now in the market I think I'll just find something to trade it against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

stock-photo-the-stages-of-grief-denial-anger-bargaining-depression-acceptance-concept-explained-with-60673117.jpg

Stage 2, go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

320d

Is this it?

even if it isn't...that car is a bit of a dealer, so probably not a 'lady owner'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The people ringing offering don't know what you've been offered by a dealer. Don't take it so personally.

Would expect offers about the 14500. Got offers of 12000 on car I sold before christmas for about 14500. (Was advertising 15200 at the time.)

Everyone buying thinks they're gonna get a great bargain cus of the way the country is.

No need to be gettin snooty with people when you don't even tell them what car it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I never sold a car for less than 5% off what I advertised it for.

Things are very different from what they were a few years ago. If you reckon the car will make €16k in a private sale (you might very well be right if the dealer offers you €14.5k cash), you should advertise it at €17-17.5k. Much better chance of getting the €16k offer you are hoping for / expecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I don't actually really care that much, I'm just really having fun trying to figure out what car it is online.

Assuming you have told us the right price RobAMerc...if that is your real name... *squints with suspicion*

lads - I'm not going to tell ye what the car is as I think I might as well keep the suspense. And I'm delighted you guys are so well able to tell me the value of the car without even knowing what car it is, what condition its in etc. I'm even being called delusional when you don't know what the fupp I am selling :D

As for 14.5k being a stupid offer, the way I look at it is if a dealer is willing to pay that much for it cash then its got to be worth more to a private buyer ( those this not make sense to anyone else here ?)

I'm on car 36 or 37 at this stage, I've only bought about 5 of these via dealers, I never expected not to haggle with serious buyers, but I never sold a car for less than 5% off what I advertised it for.

I'm glad I started this thread now as if the boards motors form is a sample of the muppetry thats now in the market I think I'll just find something to trade it against.

Muppetry, see below :pac:
    has anyone else tried selling a car privately recently?

were you plagued by stupid offers?

I am trying to sell a car @ 16250.
    So far I have been offered - sight unseen 14,500 by a BMW dealer ( its a BMW), 13,500 by someone who expected me to meet him 50miles away to show it to him, luckily I made it clear I needed to know if he was willing to pay the asking price before I travelled - he admitted he was thinking 13,500 :mad: and most ridiculously a guy offered me 8k and his 98 Mitsubishi.

I've also had 2 more serious offers via txt of 14k sight unseen.
    how do people think that 8k or even 13.5 k is a valid offer on something asking 16k plus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Why not reveal the car? whats the big secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Merch wrote: »
    Why not reveal the car? whats the big secret?

Somebody might call and offer the full amount therefore making this thread a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Are you for real? Who are you to say what a reasonable offer is? Just refuse if your not happy with it. You have no god given right to any price for the car. And 14.5k is a perfectly reasonable first offer on a 16,250 priced car. Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Somebody might call and offer the full amount therefore making this thread a waste of time

Not asking for link, asking for model and spec. But op is calling posters puppets without giving details for anyone to make an informed decision. And as I stated before dealer may be looking for that car for a customer hence offering close to asking it might be a zero profit deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

johnos1984 wrote: »

Fair enough,

Then why say this? they start a thread, withold the information, for whatever reason, but then for all purposes criticise other posters for making a guess at the value after they have intentionally kept secret?????

listermint wrote: »
    Not asking for link, asking for model and spec. But op is calling posters puppets without giving details for anyone to make an informed decision. And as I stated before dealer may be looking for that car for a customer hence offering close to asking it might be a zero profit deal.

I think OP realises that if he gives us info about the car we will find it on Donedeal or the like so he may as well give the link.

I don't understand the need for the thread.

Either OP wants advice on what a reasonable offer is or just wants to rant about people calling making offers. I reckon the ad has been updated with the line "NO MORE RIDICULOUS OFFERS"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OP

either I'm a bad detective or....
    this is your car OP but says that is sold
    I based the detective work on the description of the car

Rare m-sport 6 speed auto diesel estate. 2 previous owners, 5k miles on new tyres, nct 03/12, 15k to next service, tax 04/12. Black Alcantara interior, climate control, upgraded alloys. Nice car in great condition. May p/x Cayenne, CLS, XC90 with cash

I am selling this because I am bored and looking for something new. I am not strapped for cash. I am not interested in doing a deal to include 8k a pot belly pig and a sterile goat thanks. - no more dreamers pls.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1916211

you mentioned something in your original post that possibly gave you away

and most ridiculously a guy offered me 8k and his 98 Mitsubishi.

did I solve the mystery!!!

did I solve the mystery!!!

I reckon so.

Listed as sold one hour ago about the same time the OP posted and hence why he had no need to reveal the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ring him and say is that you OP:D

• Advertisement

lol €16250 for a 2006 320d tourer, no mention of mileage. What class of a **** (insert expletive of choice) dealer offered €14oddK for that :D

Full?id=5384900

http://photos.donedeal.ie/photos/Full?id=5384899

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement