Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stupid offers on a private sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

RoverJames wrote: »
    :)

get a girlfriend mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thank you, I don't give a flying what anyone else thinks this is worth,

Good luck with sale so

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Where's the rare car then???? The BMW pictured is not rare and i don't believe for 1 minute a dealer offer you 14.5k. Of course you are going to get silly offers because you have a silly price on it. Lucky i'm not viewing it, i want change from 10k for your "RARE" but not so rare car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

From browsing the private ads on Donedeal, most are priced in the 12k-15k bracket. I really don't think the guy offering you 14,500 was being unreasonable in any way, based on that pricing.

I wouldnt know, because I've never owned a 2006 320d tourer, or sold one privately, so accordingly I've kept my mouth shut on the price speculation.

Well if you don't know perhaps slating folks who reckon it's overpriced may not be the smartest thing to do, especially when you use the ass and elbow line ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I am currently in the market for a house. What I believe are reasonable prices to pay are nowhere near what I am seeing houses being advertised at, but I am not going around making appointments to see houses and then making offers at no where near the vendors expected price or txting offers out of the blue am I ?
    Again I have no expectation to make the asking - I also have no expectation to sell it for even 10% off asking, that's not the way I do business.

Yes.
    It is.
    In business you pitch a sale at whatever price.
    This price will always be a bit higher than what you expect to get.
    The buyer then views the item(s) for sale and makes an offer.
    This offer will be a bit lower than what you expect.
    Or quite a bit lower, actually.
    You will then reject the offer and make a counter offer, coming down from your price just a little bit and the haggling starts.
    It's a battle of wits and wills that has been taken place ever since people first traded anything, it's been going on for thousands of years.
    My wife is world class at it, she has haggled over our two houses (and saved us a fortune), the furniture, appliances and everything else.
    She has made Arabs in markets nearly cry.
    Of course you wouldn't haggle over a pack of gum and a paper in your local shop, but once you buy larger items, everywhere is fair game.
    But you don't have to haggle, btw my house is yours for E800k.
    No silly offers, please!

get a girlfriend mate ;)

Lol :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Well if you don't know perhaps slating folks who reckon it's overpriced may not be the smartest thing to do, especially when you use the ass and elbow line ;)

The difference between me and certain posters here is, I didn't pretend to know the value of the car, I admitted I didn't know it.

The keyboard warriors seemed to know the exact value of the car without.........knowing what the car was!!!! Amazing

Where's the rare car then???? The BMW pictured is not rare and i don't believe for 1 minute a dealer offer you 14.5k. Of course you are going to get silly offers because you have a silly price on it. Lucky i'm not viewing it, i want change from 10k for your "RARE" but not so rare car.

how many diesel, touring auto msports car you find for sale in the country then ? maybe 3?

you are also calling me a liar now based on what ? - seriously boards has really turned to sh1t, I'm being called a liar and having totally non related posts being quoted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If the price is right in the first place you won't have this problem. As I mentioned above, price the car based on the current market value.

I wouldnt know, because I've never owned a 2006 320d tourer, or sold one privately, so accordingly I've kept my mouth shut on the price speculation.
    So you..

A: Believe the OP wouldn't have this problem if the car is priced relative to it's market value
    B: Have no idea what the market value is for this particular car and...
    C: Still think the OP was right to hold out for a better offer.

And yet you lecture others on not knowing their arse from their elbow?

Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

btw my house is yours for E800k.
    I don't believe there ever was a Merc E-Class 800 Kompressor :pac:

I'll get my cost

The keyboard warriors seemed to know the exact value of the car without.........knowing what the car was!!!! Amazing

As you are not a keyboard warrier I take it you'll proceed to detail who you are referring to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

We may be being a bit tough on the OP. He's hardly committing the crime of the century.

I'm not sure I've done it right, but I think I've calculated the OMSP of the car as being 14,483 euro. If I've done it right, then that offer you got was bang on the money.

blah blah

But you don't have to haggle, btw my house is yours for E800k.
    No silly offers, please!

How bout I start txting you offering 400k and send a couple more
    wondering why you haven't got back to me or set up a meeting where you'd have to go through considerable hassle to meet me only for me to offer 600k when your house isn't far off the market value at 800k ?

would you get p*ssed off at that ?
    or to rant even more, how bout you go to blow off some steam on the housing forum to be told your house isn't worth 800k even though no one on it knows your house by some housing enthusiasts ? :D

So you..

A: Believe the OP wouldn't have this problem if the car is priced relative to it's market value
    B: Have no idea what the market value is for this particular car and...
    C: Still think the OP was right to hold out for a better offer.

And yet you lecture others on not knowing their arse from their elbow?

Interesting.

A is correct, yes.

B is somewhat right. I know well what the trade value of the car is.

C If the OP feels that any offer isn't reasonable to him, he's right not to accept it. That was my point all along. Folks here seem insulted to find the OP not accepting the first offer he gets just because it's a tough trading enviroment at the minute.

I think I'm well within my rights to "lecture" certain people here about not knowing their arse from their elbow.

As you are not a keyboard warrier I take it you'll proceed to detail who you are referring to :)

I think it's fairly obvious who I'm referring to.

B is somewhat right. I know well what the trade value of the car is.

What's the trade value :)
    Assuming average miles.

I think it's fairly obvious who I'm referring to.

You?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 s14 silvia

Its only worth what someone with cash is willing to pay ;)

ottostreet wrote: »
    We may be being a bit tough on the OP. He's hardly committing the crime of the century.

I'm not sure I've done it right, but I think I've calculated the OMSP of the car as being 14,483 euro. If I've done it right, then that offer you got was bang on the money.

btw - I never said all the offers were way out, my point was I was getting all sorts of sh1t, in txts and emails, the reason I added the dealer offer was to point out the car isn't unreasonably priced at 16,250. there aint many of that spec.

• Advertisement

What's the trade value :)
    Assuming average miles.

Average mileage to me could be anywhere between 50,000 and 150,000 so that's a bit vague.

Recently sold a 2006 320d SE Manual Touring with 200k on the clock for 10500. That mileage is on the high side of average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Actually, I can easily see a dealer buying this for €14,500, valeting it, tacking on a BMW warranty and selling it easily enough for €17.5-€19k.

Average mileage to me could be anywhere between 50,000 and 150,000 so that's a bit vague.

71,600 miles let's say :)

71,600 miles let's say :)

11 grand, maybe 11250 at a push would be my opinion. To the trade of course.

Thank you :)
    I thought it would be higher :pac: (ass and elbow thing again :cool: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I must have hit a nerve :P
    That yoke is no more rare or desirable than what I'll be leaving down the toilet tomorrow :pac:
    I apologise if I hit a nerve though, I'll say no more as I don't want to get on the wrong side of Rambo http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71131615#post71131615 :pac:

Attack the post, not the poster. That's your only warning.

No problem. Just remember though, that that figure is my own opinion. It could go for more, or less.

so you think you are vindicated because someone else on boards tells you that the value in the trade of the car with your guestimate of the mileage is 5k less than I am asking for? Sure I could have told you that, my point was the number of offers well off asking to include ridiculous trades -you are the one who took off telling me what its worth like your opinion mattered some how.

I'm no longer going to take part in this thread - its clear the forum has been infiltrated by trolls with little interest or knowledge in the subject

so you think you are vindicated because someone else on boards tells you that the value in the trade of the car with your guestimate of the mileage is 5k less than I am asking for?

I only thanked the chap, I didn't make further reference to your asking price :)

The thread is more suited for ranting and raving than in here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

sorry this isin't in the current flow of conversation, but its in keeping with the thread title.

some of you may have seen my cheapy ka thats for sale.

up for 570.

just got a text offering 350.

i know i've been clear in the advert what it does and doesn't need. but how do people feel justified to offer so little immediately without even viewing the car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement