Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

When I say a little stuttery its not the easiest to notice, my GF doesnt noitce it but I do! its like the framerate is a tiny bit off

I am yet to install that additional 2 GB. But more importantly, do you have any issues with the aspect ratio with MediaLink and Plex. I am watching normal 16:9 or whatever usually movies are, and everything is getting stretched vertically a bit. I can't seem to find any settings in Plex to change this, and once in MediaLink, LG's quick menu etc is not coming up either..?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

Got my cheque today :)

Same here, already lodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

tandcapply wrote: »
    Same here, already lodged.
    Me 3, lodged and spent within an hour of receipt :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Which HDMI video cards are ye using?

I installed an Asus GT 610 which works fine on CentOS with a slightly older Nvidia driver, but the fan is too loud and I can't find a way of slowing it down. I even bought a hardware fan controller but it's not compatible, and I'm not going to hack at it -- I've had enough arsing around with the box now, just want to get a new card installed and get motoring, get the old box shut down.

The fanless version of the 610 doesn't fit, the cooling fins are too big and I have a TV card in the other slot. So what can I swap it out with that's fanless or has a fan that can be controlled? Has to run under linux, Nvidia ideally, price not really a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

rovoagho wrote: »
    Which HDMI video cards are ye using?

I installed an Asus GT 610 which works fine on CentOS with a slightly older Nvidia driver, but the fan is too loud and I can't find a way of slowing it down. I even bought a hardware fan controller but it's not compatible, and I'm not going to hack at it -- I've had enough arsing around with the box now, just want to get a new card installed and get motoring, get the old box shut down.

I'm running a 5450 in mine. I can't remember the brand, but it's fanless, and it fits nicely. I needed the proprietary drivers the get audio passthrough on the HDMI in Ubuntu, but apart from that it's fine. It's just for 1080p, though. You wouldn't get much gaming performance from it.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Zero interest in gaming, XBMC is the primary factor WRT the vid card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Same as myself, so. It's a nice quiet little card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have a Sapphire 5054HD in mine, but I'm running it as a headless server so I'd be happy to let it go. PM me if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

stimpson wrote: »
    I have a Sapphire 5054HD in mine, but I'm running it as a headless server so I'd be happy to let it go. PM me if you're interested.

Same in mine and using XBMC/VLC with no issues.

You mean 5450? If so, sure, send on what you want for it.

• Advertisement

You mean 5450? If so, sure, send on what you want for it.

Doh. Yeah 5450. PM on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭seklly

Is this offer still available? A lot of pages in this thread!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

seklly wrote: »

Cashback offer expired yesterday.

You would have needed to have an invoice date from 1st - 30th Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

seklly wrote: »

No but it'll be back in about a year when they release the next model :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Installed ubuntu desktop on it, happy days.

Added the hardware raid 1 but for some reason ubuntu doesn't recognise it. I still see the 2 separate hard disks in mount manager.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks.
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Installed ubuntu desktop on it, happy days.

Added the hardware raid 1 but for some reason ubuntu doesn't recognise it. I still see the 2 separate hard disks in mount manager.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks.
    Gary

Yes... Use the Linux software RAID. The onboard raid is not really a raid controller. It has no battery backup or anything like that. In the event of a failure your chances of a recovery are far greater with standard Linux software raid than some proprietary onboard implementation.

gerryk wrote: »
    Yes... Use the Linux software RAID. The onboard raid is not really a raid controller. It has no battery backup or anything like that. In the event of a failure your chances of a recovery are far greater with standard Linux software raid than some proprietary onboard implementation.

Oh right. I thought I'd save on processing by going hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Oh right. I thought I'd save on processing by going hardware?

Understandably, but it's just mirroring. There's almost no processing happening.

Not anymore. You don't really have an option anyway, as the previous poster said, the onboard raid isn't actually raid. Google fakeraid for more info.

I use Greyhole, so data can be recovered without long waits for rebuilding on big disks. I only use hardware raid on business servers now.

Not anymore. You don't really have an option anyway, as the previous poster said, the onboard raid isn't actually raid. Google fakeraid for more info.

I use Greyhole, so data can be recovered without long waits for rebuilding on big disks. I only use hardware raid on business servers now.

Thanks for that guys heres the link. Probably not going back to windows or dual booting so will go software I'd say.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto

Any quick guide to setting up raid 1?

• Advertisement

Dunno about Ubuntu. In CentOS it's available via the installer. It's possible but very messy to do on a live system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ebuyer have the N54L in again for £177 atm.

http://www.ebuyer.com/430446

cashback available, but I think it's only with an MS OS.

Parcel Motel is your friend for postage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey Guys,

Can cash back still be gotten on these in Ireland? I can only find the UK cashback offer pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭blabley

Hey Guys,

Can cash back still be gotten on these in Ireland? I can only find the UK cashback offer pdf
    Old Generation or new Gen8?
    Check out http://www.hp.com/ie/essnpromotions...

Did you buy before dec 31st?

If not mail promotions@out-bound.co.uk and ask them for a claim form. Seems to be running in the UK at the moment so should be on here too. They can be a bit slow about getting the Irish forms updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RParker123

This is a long thread to try and read......

Is this hp proliant server still available?
    Is this a NAS?
    Is this a good option to run Plex on or should I go with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Another question: Can I use the UK form to claim the cashback?
    Can I buy from the UK and claim back using the Irish form (if they are doing it at the moment)?

RParker123 wrote: »
    This is a long thread to try and read......

Is this hp proliant server still available?
    Is this a NAS?
    Is this a good option to run Plex on or should I go with something else.

the N54L can still be bought. Ebyuyer have them for £180 + £10 delivery to NI (plus €3.50 Parcel motel). Misco.ie have it for €220 (dont know how much delivery is, also check they are an approved partner for cashback)

It is not a NAS exactly, but a NAS is network attached storage, which this can be set up to do. I have 4TB of hard drives in mine that I can access from any device on my network. I am running Ubuntu and using samba to achieve the NAS part. Its big advantage over a NAS is the additional stuff it can do, its a fully working PC so you can pretty much install any applications you like. I have a web server running on mine, a torrent client, sickbeard etc

I run Plex on mine (N40L, slower processor) and it is working great for me. I dont know if it is doing any transcoding or whatever but the now TV box and my phone work perfectly with it.

12 element wrote: »
    Another question: Can I use the UK form to claim the cashback?
    Can I buy from the UK and claim back using the Irish form (if they are doing it at the moment)?

Yeah I was able to last year anyways.

Did you buy before dec 31st?

If not mail promotions@out-bound.co.uk and ask them for a claim form. Seems to be running in the UK at the moment so should be on here too. They can be a bit slow about getting the Irish forms updated.

No I havent bought it yet.

Thanks, I mailed them this morning. I'll post back when they reply.

EDIT:

Got a reply:
    Hi Brian,

For some reason the claim form has not been updated but it has been extended in Ireland. Please just complete the December form, that will be fine.

Kind Regards,

Alison B
    Programmes Administrator

I snipped her second name so not to be posting it on the internet! But if anyone needs a copy of the email just let me know and I'll forward it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is there any issue running a 4tb drive in one of these?

Advertisement