Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Any good tutorials on a decent ubuntu set up, going to make the switch!

Windows 2008 server doing my head in with SMB share etc.

// Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Any good tutorials on a decent ubuntu set up, going to make the switch!

Windows 2008 server doing my head in with SMB share etc.

// Gary

What are you planning on using it for?

sharing media to 3 apple tvs, managing media using sickbeard and couch potato, the usual stuff and anything cool that people here are up to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

This might help -> http://lefoxdufue.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/install-sabnzbd-sickbeard-transmission-on-ubuntu-12-04/

I don't use the above, so can't advise. I have a CentOS 6.2 install, running Asterisk (PIAF), Zoneminder, PLEX and rtorrent. I am in the process of developing a home-automation/occupancy awareness framework that I will use to control heat/lighting, and determine identities of occupants (MAC sniffing, BT sniffing, IMEI sniffing etc.)

gerryk wrote: »
    This might help -> http://lefoxdufue.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/install-sabnzbd-sickbeard-transmission-on-ubuntu-12-04/

I don't use the above, so can't advise. I have a CentOS 6.2 install, running Asterisk (PIAF), Zoneminder, PLEX and rtorrent. I am in the process of developing a home-automation/occupancy awareness framework that I will use to control heat/lighting, and determine identities of occupants (MAC sniffing, BT sniffing, IMEI sniffing etc.)

Feicin hell you're going all out with it.

Is there a thread going with what the owners of these are doing with them?

Also selling Ram I bought yesterday, made no difference to speed etc. and need the money for another HD.

http://www.adverts.ie/memory/2x4gb-ddr3-pc3-10600-1333mhz/3951981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thinking about picking up the Gen8 or the N54L, I take it the Gen8 has way more grunt than the N54L.

I'd be streaming media (transcoding mkv,ts files etc.) to multiple devices i.e Raspberry Pi, PS3, Smart TV and tablets etc. Would like to setup Sickbeard CP etc. Any reason besides price to avoid the Gen8?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Thinking about picking up the Gen8 or the N54L, I take it the Gen8 has way more grunt than the N54L.

I'd be streaming media (transcoding mkv,ts files etc.) to multiple devices i.e Raspberry Pi, PS3, Smart TV and tablets etc. Would like to setup Sickbeard CP etc. Any reason besides price to avoid the Gen8?

Looks like a nice piece of kit. I don't think you can run the custom firmware to enable hot swapping drives etc., but you will get plenty of grunt. It's a fair bit pricer than the N54L with cashback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hey,

I installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials and want to use it to stream media to my Smart LG TV that uses a thing called Medialink. This is effectively a Plex client.

However having major issues getting my TV to connect to the Server via Plex.

Anyone else come across issues with this type of setup?

Just for reference my TV can see the server and attempts a connection but then it kicks out, I have tried it from my laptop to the TV and works fine, so thinks it a Plex issues with Windows Server.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Kingkong wrote: »
    Hey,

I installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials and want to use it to stream media to my Smart LG TV that uses a thing called Medialink. This is effectively a Plex client.

Just for reference my TV can see the server and attempts a connection but then it kicks out, I have tried it from my laptop to the TV and works fine, so thinks it a Plex issues with Windows Server.

Any ideas?

have you tried disabling windows firewall or any other firewall?

Hey,

Any ideas?

Assuming media link is just a DLNA client, I'm thinking compatibility issues. Not every vendor follows the DLNA spec properly. Do you have a real plex client you can try, like on a laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

stimpson wrote: »
    Assuming media link is just a DLNA client, I'm thinking compatibility issues. Not every vendor follows the DLNA spec properly. Do you have a real plex client you can try, like on a laptop?

going by where he mentions that he tried plex on his laptop to the tv and it worked fine it unlikily to be a compatibility issue

dunworth1 wrote: »
    going by where he mentions that he tried plex on his laptop to the tv and it worked fine it unlikily to be a compatibility issue

Doh. Missed that part. My point still stands - incompatibility between media link and Plex.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, Firewall is disable and Upmp is on on the UPC Router.

Still not connecting, I have read up on it and unistalled the Bonjour service as this might be causing a problem but still noe working.

So tempted at this stage to ditch Windows Server and go to Unbuntu/ Free NAS.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, Firewall is disable and Upmp is on on the UPC Router.

Still not connecting, I have read up on it and unistalled the Bonjour service as this might be causing a problem but still noe working.

So tempted at this stage to ditch Windows Server and go to Unbuntu/ Free NAS.

+1 on this one, giving up windows server, it's complete overkill for what we're looking for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I just use Windows 7 and Serviio. It can be a bit slow/delayed for a client to connect to Serviio (sometimes upto 2-3 mins), but other than that it's fine. I've been through loads of different DNLA server software and found'em frustrating with having to constantly restart services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

+1 on this one, giving up windows server, it's complete overkill for what we're looking for.

Has anyone got a good alternative in the Linux world that would allow automated backups of laptops/PCs that would give dated backups and easy restore options?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Or just Windows 7. Solid flexible OS. Using it on my HTPC box.

Edit - Dravokivich beat me to it :)

Panrich wrote: »
    Has anyone got a good alternative in the Linux world that would allow automated backups of laptops/PCs that would give dated backups and easy restore options?

Crashplan has a Linux client and you can backup your machines to your server for free if you don't want to pay for the cloud service. You can even administer it from your Windows PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

unkel wrote: »
    Or just Windows 7. Solid flexible OS. Using it on my HTPC box.

Edit - Dravokivich beat me to it :)

Same here using Windows 7 after trying Ubuntu and found it a pain. Windows just works and easy to use.

Hi Lads,

Just updated my apple tv's to use atv flash instead of xbmc and I must say it is very very nice, not sure if I'll go back to xbmc as flash fits in much better to the existing os. Only negative I've found so far is it doesn't synch where you are in an episode only that it's watched or not.

// Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i like the look of atv flash, just not sure if it's worth $40 next to all the other free options. if it was a fiver i'd go for it, it's just a lot of cash to shell out for what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Got my cheque today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

And I finally have the server up and running over the weekend. Just a basic set up with unRAID (unMenu etc) and Plex Media Server. LG TV has an app called "mediaLink" which is essentially a Plex client, so anything I put in Plex now is available on TV over wireless, using TVs remote to control etc. It's really neat. Also picked up a 2 gb memory stick from PCWorld, total of 4 gb should be fine for my unRAID / Plex needs.

Now to pick up some hard drives and sort out the disc array. Did any of you buy unRAID licenses? It looks like you have to buy two together or something... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

positron wrote: »
    And I finally have the server up and running over the weekend. Just a basic set up with unRAID (unMenu etc) and Plex Media Server. LG TV has an app called "mediaLink" which is essentially a Plex client, so anything I put in Plex now is available on TV over wireless, using TVs remote to control etc. It's really neat. Also picked up a 2 gb memory stick from PCWorld, total of 4 gb should be fine for my unRAID / Plex needs.

Now to pick up some hard drives and sort out the disc array. Did any of you buy unRAID licenses? It looks like you have to buy two together or something... ?

I have an LG tv as well with medialink, It isn't as good as other plex clients (Now TV box for example), its just a little stuttery or something.

you might have a better TV than me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

It's an LG 47LM649S. I haven't noticed any stuttering so far, but I haven't tried playing any true HD content either tbh. I have only tried movies avis etc encoded to 1 to 2 gb in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thats a newer looking TV to mine (I dont know what model number mine is)

When I say a little stuttery its not the easiest to notice, my GF doesnt noitce it but I do! its like the framerate is a tiny bit off

Saying that I have a N40L with 2gb with Ram, while I assume you have the N54L with 4gb, add that to the fact your Tv is newer so your setup is similar in name only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

would anybody be kind enough to put up a link for the best place to get ram for these. cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I buy all my memory from Crucial.com, but that's not to say it's the cheapest or best. Just works for me and the pricing seems reasonable.

Be wary of their helper apps though, they err on the side of caution. These machines will take 16GB, for example, and their site says my desktop will take max 4GB of PC-5300 memory, but it'll actually take 8GB of PC-6400.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Quite probably if it's an N54L, but I couldn't be sure from that result. This is the RAM I bought for mine.

Advertisement