Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

stimpson wrote: »
    The gen8 is on offer in the UK, but it's far more expensive than the N54L.

Yes just got the offer and it is more expensive and you need to buy a switch with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Can you send it on to me there?

Might look to upgrade the Ram on the N40L instead, any recommendations people?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Might look to upgrade the Ram on the N40L instead, any recommendations people?

Here ya go.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME3427885

http://www.elara.ie/results.aspx?search=KTH%2DPL313ES%2F2G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Or pick this up for the half the price.

I put this into my N54L no problems even works ok with the existing 2gb ram stick.

It costs 34 euro and you can pick it put in pcworld aswell

http://www.currys.ie/Product/INTEGRAL-IN3T4GNZ-PC310600-DDR3-PC-Memory-4-GB-DIMM-RAM/317015/7.16

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

I'm about to pull the trigger on UnRaid pro if anyone is interested in splitting the 2 key deal drop me a PM.

vibe666 wrote: »
    the pictures of the server are wrong. ;)

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WW-USSMBPublicStore-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductUUID=5w4Q7EN5qPoAAAE8VfB_pHDH&CatalogCategoryID=H20Q7EN5z88AAAEuEQIsTi_9

actually a nice little box. a bit pricy, but a much beefier CPU, you could even call it 'mid-range' at a push and it would make a really nice plex media server. :)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G1610+%40+2.60GHz&id=1819

So 240 ex vat after cash back hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone want to buy my 4GM Ram N40L for 200?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    So 240 ex vat after cash back hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyone want to buy my 4GM Ram N40L for 200?? :)

Nope... you have to buy the switch to avail of the offer -
    HP Microserver €134 Cashback when purchased with HP PS-1810-8G Switch (J9833A) Details Here Only €324.43 after €134.00 Cashback - Ends 30/10/2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Hi guys sorry if this has been answered already

But does anyone know the rough electricity cost for running the micro server 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,838 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Depends if you can let it go to sleep or not and how much it's in use :)

If in use for a few hours a day and idling the rest of the time (but not aslee), about €50-€60 per year in electricity

If you can let it sleep and WOL when you want to use it, a lot less than that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/windows-7-professional-sleep-mode-not-available/4dba343d-63e8-40d9-83b3-ba1afe411d60

Am running win 7 pro on mine and using XBMC.
    Just noticed I only have hibernate and no sleep option as it is greyed out.

Checked the bios and see no options there. Have WOL enabled which is what I am testing from the xbmc remote android App.

Ran a CMD command mentioned below and it reports S1/2/3 are not supported in firmware. Mine is stock and had machines from years ago without issues like this.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

It doesn't support s3. Should do s1 and 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I have the 40L for running a few things - downloads, couchpotato, headphones, squeezebox, crashplan. And I find any time I go to remote log into it, that's it's excruciatingly slow. Would upgrading the ram make much of a difference or is it more a processor issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I run my 45l headless and access it using RDC. No lag whatsoever though as I'm running a 2560x1200 res monitor it does tax the on board gfx a bit!
    I'm running Windows Server 2012,fwiw.

I have the 40L for running a few things - downloads, couchpotato, headphones, squeezebox, crashplan. And I find any time I go to remote log into it, that's it's excruciatingly slow. Would upgrading the ram make much of a difference or is it more a processor issue?

What speed is it connecting to your router at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

MAJJ wrote: »
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/windows-7-professional-sleep-mode-not-available/4dba343d-63e8-40d9-83b3-ba1afe411d60

Am running win 7 pro on mine and using XBMC.
    Just noticed I only have hibernate and no sleep option as it is greyed out.

Checked the bios and see no options there. Have WOL enabled which is what I am testing from the xbmc remote android App.

Ran a CMD command mentioned below and it reports S1/2/3 are not supported in firmware. Mine is stock and had machines from years ago without issues like this.

Any ideas?

Just in case anyone has read the above, a positive update in this post here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86895119#post86895119

What speed is it connecting to your router at?

It's a wired connection so that end should be fine. I mean more when using programs, e.g. I use Itunes on it for home sharing and doing anything with that takes forever.

It's a wired connection so that end should be fine. I mean more when using programs, e.g. I use Itunes on it for home sharing and doing anything with that takes forever.

You should check your connection speed, as 2 gigabit cards connected with a CAT5 cable will still only run at 100Mbit. Assuming it's all connecting at gigabit speeds....

iTunes (much as I love it) is a resource hog, especially with a large library (turning off Genius on your clients may help as it tends to slow stuff down).

Depending on the version of Windows you're using, that could be a drain on your system resources too. You can add more RAM, but if you're using a 32bit version of Windows, it can't address more than 4 GB (could be as low as 2GB - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx)

I like small light OS's designed for media serving - I'm running unRAID, but freeNAS gets good reviews, and both have iTunes servers (unRAID has Couch Potato, squeezebox, headphones and Crashplan support!). The less resources taken up by the OS, the more available for applications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

You should check your connection speed, as 2 gigabit cards connected with a CAT5 cable will still only run at 100Mbit. Assuming it's all connecting at gigabit speeds....

What makes you say that? Cat 5 cabling is in spec for 1000BASE-T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Some crappy patch leads only have half the pairs connected... that's the only thing I can think of.

cat5e will happily do gigabit till the cows come home and even (decent) older cat5 cables will do it over shorter lengths.

Speaking from experience. I had issues with my n54l running at 100Mbit. After spending hours looking at drivers and BIOS settings, I replaced the patch lead with a 5e one - Bingo!

I didn't actually realise CAT5 is technically in spec for gigabit.

iTunes (much as I love it) is a resource hog, especially with a large library (turning off Genius on your clients may help as it tends to slow stuff down).

Depending on the version of Windows you're using, that could be a drain on your system resources too. You can add more RAM, but if you're using a 32bit version of Windows, it can't address more than 4 GB (could be as low as 2GB - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx)

I like small light OS's designed for media serving - I'm running unRAID, but freeNAS gets good reviews, and both have iTunes servers (unRAID has Couch Potato, squeezebox, headphones and Crashplan support!). The less resources taken up by the OS, the more available for applications.

I'll have a look when I go home so.

I'm running WS 2008 r2 standard, not sure how much of a hog it is but at least there's plenty of scope for upgrading the ram.

yeah, afaik (back in the day) they designed gigabit ethernet to (just about) fit within the specs of Cat5, whereas CAT5e was designed with gigabit in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

While we're on the topic.
    What are ye using to test your network speed?

Remouad wrote: »
    While we're on the topic.
    What are ye using to test your network speed?

I'm actually talking about the speed reported by the OS - ie. is your port running at 100mbit or gigabit.

If you really want to test your speed, there are a few benchmark tools mentioned here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/network-benchmark-test-your-network-speed/

I just use Activity Monitor on my Mac to gauge. At the end of the day, with Gigabit Ethernet and a spinning drive, the drive will be your bottleneck, not your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DocMcC

Have a N54L with 16GB Ram running

Server 2008
    Exchange 2010
    acts as DHCP server
    acts as DNS server
    Homeseer 2 (home automation)
    Weather station (collects data from weather station)
    3TB of media files (streaming them to 8 squeezeboxes)
    Virtual XP running some programs which are not Windows 7/server 2008 compatible
    acts as a VPN tunnel endpoint from my phone (stream horizon :) )
    accessed via remote desktop

No real issues though can be a little slow streaming video to a PS3 and has real problems converting HD video from mts,

All running at 68w (previous server ran at about 650w - Dell Dual quad Xeon with 32GB of ram).

All in all, not bad considering. Looking though to upgrade to a Gen 8 microserver maybe with Xeon E3 processor.

• Advertisement

DocMcC wrote: »
    3TB of media files (streaming them to 8 squeezeboxes)

8?! I thought I was doing well with 3! What kind of set-up do you have for using 8?

Advertisement