Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Got my rebate yesterday, finally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

I have the N36L and have installed a PCIex1 card with two esata connectors.
    This I have attached to an 8 bay esata enclosure. Two connectors from the enclosure to the card.
    The Proliant on boot allows entry into the esata cards bios which correctly lists the 8 drivesin the external enclosure by model number and serial number.

In the Proliant itself I have the 4 internal bays occupied and have the OS in the ODD bay on the original 250GB disk.

Problem is after the esta cards bios test I can press F10 to get into the Proliant bios. But here it lists only 12 drives.
    With the result that one of the 8 in the enclosure is not listed and thus is not available to the OS.
    The Proliant bios lists the OS drive, the 4 internal and the first 7 in the enlosure.
    The enclosure drives are all healthy. If I swap their slot locations within the enclosure I can see in the Proliant bios that the movement is seen but it will always only list the first 7 in the enclosure. So it seems the Proliant Bios is locked to see only 12 hard drives.

Likewise the OS presents only these 12 drives made available through the Proliant bios.

Is there anyone who can confirm this and more to the point, is there any way of increasing or getting around this 12 drive limit? :confused:
    do you have more than 12 connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

davoxx wrote: »
    do you have more than 12 connected?
    sorry, but is that a serious question?
    The Proliant on boot allows entry into the esata cards bios which correctly lists the 8 drives in the external enclosure by model number and serial number.

In the Proliant itself I have the 4 internal bays occupied and have the OS in the ODD bay on the original 250GB disk.
    you just quoted a post in which he goes into great detail to explain that he has 13 drives connected (8+4+1=13) and that the last one isn't recognised and the whole point of the post was to ask if anyone knew how to get around this 12 disk limit. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 afrofish

machalla wrote: »
    Hmm, how about it as an odd Christmas present. "Here ya go, your very own media server!"

Thats what I did for my Dad :) I bought two under the offer, one for me and one for him. Like lots of other posters I have spent ages trying to decide what to do with it (and wanting to do everything). I have finally come to my senses and decided on a WHS 2011 box using raid 1. Was half tempted with unraid but decided I wanted to be able to automate backups too.

I am currently debating buying another from servers+ as they have the newer version available still with the rebate! Theres a great vmware version for around £180 (after the rebate).

If I do my life won't be worth living with the missus though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

vibe666 wrote: »
    sorry, but is that a serious question?
    you just quoted a post in which he goes into great detail to explain that he has 13 drives connected (8+4+1=13) and that the last one isn't recognised and the whole point of the post was to ask if anyone knew how to get around this 12 disk limit. :confused:
    yeah sorry, i missed the os in the odd place, my bad :o

well then the thing to do is only the os drive and 2 internal and 8 enclosure and see if the bios lists all 8 from the enclosure.

there is a limit on most bios on reported hard drives, though i'm not sure what this is for this model.

• Advertisement

i'm actually wondering what the OS is that you are using and if it gives you the option of installing it onto a USB drive instead of a HDD as this may not count against the (apparent) 12 disk maximum?

might be worth a shot if it's doable? linux, esx or freenas all support installing to usb afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

I've been running unraid server on this for the last few months. I got 3x2TB WD greens and a little WD scorpio 500gb drive that I use for downloading/processing/main temporary storage (since its spun up all the time downloading).
    Really love it so far, I wrote a few scripts to more or less automate everything I would have to do otherwise such as copy all the latest tv/movies to the correct folders on the raid, keep a log file of all the recent downloads and update my external drive with the last few weeks of additions.
    I got 2x htpcs connecting to it with xbmc. I was thinking about putting the database on the server but I have an ssd in one of the htpcs which would kinda defeat the purpose.
    I like the fact that it only spins up the drive that is in use and while the others are spun down.
    I have a static ip address and bookmarks on all the laptops in the house to the downloads (sab/transmission) should they wish to stop them/looks whats downloading and there is also a folder on the network for torrents etc.
    Dont know how I survived without one of these for so long! And I really have learned so much linux and love it now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I have 5 drives hooked up to my Server but I was thinking about using the 260gb drive as the OS drive. Does the motherboard support 6 drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I have 5 drives hooked up to my Server but I was thinking about using the 260gb drive as the OS drive. Does the motherboard support 6 drives?

It does if you use the ESATA port and run the cable back inside through the PCI slots. Bear in mind that the speed is reduced but I don't think that it will have a big impact on a home server.

There's a way to use unofficial firmware to increase the speed on the fifth (internal) and sixth (ESATA) ports but that will void your warranty and might have an impact on the bootability under certain OSs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Sorry to thread bump but I see there's another server on ebuyer?

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

Would ye recommend? Looking to upgrade my NAS, energy efficient? Take FreeNas OK?

Thanks for any info you can give.

//Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Sorry to thread bump but I see there's another server on ebuyer?

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

Would ye recommend? Looking to upgrade my NAS, energy efficient? Take FreeNas OK?

Thanks for any info you can give.

//Gary

I have one and have freenas installed on a USB stick in the internal slot...nice and neat, works perfect, and boots pretty quick!

Only problem I have with it is, that there is no support in the FreeBSD driver for wake on lan, so if you don't want to leave it on all the time and need to be able to power on the server from somewhere else in the house, another compatible Ethernet card will need to be bought and installed.

Saying that I just power it on manually when I need to use it, and then shut it down remotely through the web interface when I'm finished!

The microserver is a great bit of kit, and you can't go wrong with the €120 cashback if you ask me. Waiting on my cheque to arrive at the moment.

Nice one for that, are people waiting long? What's the best way to buy off ebuyer to get the cash back?? I see somewhere you should apply for it before you buy??

settings wrote: »
    I've been running unraid server on this for the last few months. I got 3x2TB WD greens and a little WD scorpio 500gb drive that I use for downloading/processing/main temporary storage (since its spun up all the time downloading).
    Really love it so far, I wrote a few scripts to more or less automate everything I would have to do otherwise such as copy all the latest tv/movies to the correct folders on the raid, keep a log file of all the recent downloads and update my external drive with the last few weeks of additions.
    I got 2x htpcs connecting to it with xbmc. I was thinking about putting the database on the server but I have an ssd in one of the htpcs which would kinda defeat the purpose.
    I like the fact that it only spins up the drive that is in use and while the others are spun down.
    I have a static ip address and bookmarks on all the laptops in the house to the downloads (sab/transmission) should they wish to stop them/looks whats downloading and there is also a folder on the network for torrents etc.
    Dont know how I survived without one of these for so long! And I really have learned so much linux and love it now!:D

That's fantastic stuff, unlimited bb is great isn't it :D

Nice one for that, are people waiting long? What's the best way to buy off ebuyer to get the cash back?? I see somewhere you should apply for it before you buy??

no you don't apply for the cashback before buying, as you need the serial number from your actual device and proof of purchase/delivery before you can apply.

doesn't take that long for the application to go through as they generally accept emails, but the confirmation email says it can take 45 days to receive the cheque in the post. It's been 24 days for me so far and haven't received it yet.

I bought mine from dabs.ie but they don't seem to have it in their product listings anymore. Never bought anything from ebuyer so can't advise there!

they have it in stock in the hpshop here http://www.hpshop.ie/products.asp?partno=658553%2D421

also here is the link to to irish cashback form, valid until end of february. http://www.hpshop.ie/Microserver.pdf

Not a bad price at all ex vat, soooo tempted!!!

Hi Lads,

//Gary

I am running UnRaid on it and its an amazing box for the money. I think it would cope with FreeNas no bother. I spent ages trying to decide what to do with mine and eventually settled on a fairly simple nas drive but I'm now debating buying another 1 as a VM testbed and another as a HTPC.

Servers+ (sorry no link) are doing a few bundles (all with the £100 off) including a special VMware unit. Only downside is they are UK based.

afrofish wrote: »
    Servers+ (sorry no link) are doing a few bundles (all with the £100 off) including a special VMware unit. Only downside is they are UK based.
    these ones? http://www.serversplus.com/servers/server_bundles

hmm, borg. :)

vibe666 wrote: »

Thats them :)

With reference to GaryCocs question regarding FreeNAS, they have added a couple more since I last looked including a 4TB NAS box (which comes with FreeNAS 8 on a USB Stick).

So made the plunge, thinking now I'll do the hardware Raid 5, install windows 2008 and see how I get on.

Any idea on how I could do an auto power up/power down? I won't be home from 9 to 5 monday to friday so might save me some energy if I was able to power up from 5 to 1am or something??

i don't actually have one myself, but i imagine there is a scheduled power up option in the bios and the OS could be scheduled to shut down as well.

• Advertisement

If your using Windows Server on it, then Wake On Lan should be supported so you can just wake it up remotely from another computer when you want to use it, and there should be a remote shutdown option as well through a web interface i would imagine.

Ya was thinking the wake on LAN would be ok but can an apple tv send the wake on lan signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I've been thinking of buying a NAS for a while: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TOXMAW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

But then come across something like this MicroServer.

From what I've read so far in this thread, people are using it as an HTPC etc.

I won't have need of that - I have a media player already setup. Am I correct in thinking that getting this instead of a NAS would be overkill? The main advantages I can see is that I have the option of more storage, flexibility (in terms of OS and ability to tinker around with).

All I want to do is basically sit under a little side table attached to the network, so it can download as scheduled via sabnzbd / sickbeard etc.

Any advice or input?

From doing the research with the lads help, I was also thinking of upgrading my NAS to some 2 bay device but from what I've heard here and another thread I've started >2 bay is the way to go as it gives you the option of raid 5 which from my understanding is the most cost effective way of backing up your data.

Raid 5 => 3 drives = 2 data 1 backup
    Raid 0 => run away (no backup)
    Raid 1 => 2 drives = 1 data 1 backup

Looking forward to sorting out my server now in a couple of days.

Will also be selling my Buffallo 2 bay has in a couple of days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Saadyst wrote: »
    From what I've read so far in this thread, people are using it as an HTPC etc.

Any advice or input?

Well this is primilarily designed to be a server not a HTPC (although it can make a good htpc).
    I am using mine as a media server using unraid, 3x storage disks, os on the internal usb port and sabnzbd and sickbeard working off a 500gb 2.5" attached to the eSata. Very happy with it.

From doing the research with the lads help, I was also thinking of upgrading my NAS to some 2 bay device but from what I've heard here and another thread I've started >2 bay is the way to go as it gives you the option of raid 5 which from my understanding is the most cost effective way of backing up your data.

Raid 5 => 3 drives = 2 data 1 backup
    Raid 0 => run away (no backup)
    Raid 1 => 2 drives = 1 data 1 backup

Looking forward to sorting out my server now in a couple of days.

Will also be selling my Buffallo 2 bay has in a couple of days :D
    someone is bound to come on and say it, so it might as well be me. :D

RAID (of any kind) is not a proper backup solution.

yes, it can make our data a little safer, but there's no substitute for proper backups. that said, proper backups are a tad on the awkward (and/or expensive) side for most home users and most of the time RAID is as good as it gets.

on big (relatively unreliable) consumer grade drives, i'd be nervous seeing any more than 4x2tb disks in a RAID5 set, so if you plan on using bigger, or more than 4 disks, plan on using RAID6 or an equiv. (i.e. two disks for parity), or multiple smaller arrays, as you have a fairly high chance of getting a URE on the remaining disks on a RAID rebuild, which is most likely going to be catastrophically bad news for your data.

if (like me) most of your data is (obviously, copyright free and legally obtained *cough*) music, games, movies and tv shows, then a lot of it is going to be replaceable by re-downloading, so for most of it I trust (the freeNAS version of) RAID6 to keep me as safe as possible without being too much of an inconcenience and only mirror critical data onto another drive outside of my NAS, which is then also uploaded to the cloud depending on what it is, such as photo's to photobucket and picasa, docs etc. to dropbox and those irreplaceable home movies to youtube and vimeo.

of course, now i've said it out loud, someone will be along very shortly to correct me. :pac:

Any idea on how I could do an auto power up/power down? I won't be home from 9 to 5 monday to friday so might save me some energy if I was able to power up from 5 to 1am or something??

Not sure if it supports WOL. There is a remote access card available but I haven't looked into it. Let me know if you have any luck on this as anything to keep the old leccy bills down is good these days.

As a side note, even without WOL support, the microserver is pretty frugal, especially when the disks are spun down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

afrofish wrote: »
    Not sure if it supports WOL. There is a remote access card available but I haven't looked into it. Let me know if you have any luck on this as anything to keep the old leccy bills down is good these days.
    It supports WOL.

yes it definitely supports WOL, just not under FreeNAS as the FreeBSD driver for the ethernet card doesn't support it. But should work fine under Windows Server.

• Advertisement

is it possible that the server is not in a fully powered off state and that it's just in one of the available suspended modes and that WOL isn't supported by the OS in that state?

it might be worth checking your BIOS to see which power off states are available to test, and to power down the server totally and re-try sending a WOL packet to it and see what happens.

as long as the server is totally powered down rather than suspended and WOL is supported by the NIC (regardless of the OS) it *should* (he says, instantly jinxing himself) still power up as the result should be no different than physically buttoning it.

hopefully. :o

Advertisement