Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Jesus Christ the video feeds coming in, those people trying to drive away from the wave...God help them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/11/article-1365229-0D916781000005DC-641_634x613.jpg

Only 26 confirmed dead, that will surely rise by a huge amount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Shall myself and the others arguing stop now before we waste more peoples' time on this thread? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Some of those videos are jaw dropping....what the hell are you supposed to do when you're driving along and see a massive wave coming straight at you? Beyond belief.

Jesus Christ the video feeds coming in, those people trying to drive away from the wave...God help them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/11/article-1365229-0D916781000005DC-641_634x613.jpg

Only 26 confirmed dead, that will surely rise by a huge amount

Judging from the number of cars swept away and houses inundated along with fires around them I'm assuming it'll get into the thousands anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Disturbing footage :mad:

• Advertisement

BBC says there's reports of mudslides in some areas while Taiwan looks to be safe at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Reports on twitter say the Fukushima Nuclear Plant's cooling system has malfunctioned. That could be the more of a threat than the tsunami itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some of the low lying islands in the "south" Pacific could be totally overwhelemd. 100% loss of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

think i just heard western american coastline tsunami alert downgraded to a warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Hogzy wrote: »
    Reports on twitter say the Fukushima Nuclear Plant's cooling system has malfunctioned. That could be the more of a threat than the tsunami itself!

focking hell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Terrible images coming from Japan. As has been said before the Japanese will recover and fast too. One of the most resilient cultures on earth. Very very sad. The loss of life is going to be pretty huge I imagine. I hope that nuclear plant gets made safe and soon.

mike65 wrote: »
    btw that Portugal volcano was not a joke on my part, its happened before 1755

http://geology.com/noaa/atlantic-ocean-tsunami/atlantic-ocean-tsunami-lisbon.jpg
    It's not another Portugal earthquake that would be the problem(except to Portugal. The last one flattened Lisbon). You're referring to one half of one of the Canary islands that will sooner or later slump into the atlantic, causing an unreal wave. Up to 100 metres.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What an apt name for a malfunctioning nuclear power plant, I presume it's located near Shima?

Just saw a clip of a man in japan holding onto an eldery gentleman, looked like his father maybe. Just looked so poignant. The son protecting his father.

snubbleste wrote: »
    What an apt name for a malfunctioning nuclear power plant

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Wish could go over and help with the recovery.
    Hopefully there's not too many deaths. Was hoping to go back this year. Fantastic coutnry and an amazing race of people. Looks like Ill have to wait till next year unless that Euromillions has my name on it.

mike65 wrote: »
    Some of the low lying islands in the "south" Pacific could be totally overwhelemd. 100% loss of life.

Looked like it could've happened after the Chilean earthquake and didn't, would be horrific if it ever did. :(

Also the 4 nuclear power stations nearest the epicentre have all been shut down successfully. Most of the problems with the other stations will be communications. Everyone needs to rememeber this isn't the USSR, those stations will be extremely safe and will have a massive amount of failsafes, there's little to worry about with them.

Wish could go over and help with the recovery.
    Hopefully there's not too many deaths. Was hoping to go back this year. Fantastic coutnry and an amazing race of people. Looks like Ill have to wait till next year unless that Euromillions has my name on it.

Its at 32 now but i remember the Boxing Day tsunami went from 20-200-2000 in the space of 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Massive massive earthquake. What's the craic with the natural disasters in recent times

This earthquake is thousands of times more powerful then the one that hit NZ recently. 6th most powerful in recorded history

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Having returned from Thailand yesterday and having seen the devastation wrought by the 2004 Tsunami, my blood ran cold just now and I burst into tears, my dear lord those poor poor people.

I was speaking to a seismologist in Thailand last week from New Zealand and we were discussing the Christchurch quake and he told me they are expecting something massive in the coming year or two as the Christchurch quake was a result of pressure onto the pacific plate being exerted by the North American Plate and Eurasian plate and that the Christchuch earthquake were slippage on the bottom of the plate but that something major would occur at the conjuncture of the Eurasian, Pacific, Filipino and North American plate all of which meet in the vicinity of the Philppines and Japan. The timing was a bit off but he knew his stuff so it seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

did the japanese president not say a while ago that all nuclear plants had been shut down and there was no leaks, i think i also heard a fella on sky news say that fire wont damage the nuclear part of that plant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

4.5 Earthquake has just hit Hawaii,not very strong but certainly won't help to reassure their citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

whycliff wrote: »
    It has the potential.

Haiti Earthquake and Sumatra Tsunami will probably turn out to be worse in terms of death toll, but this may have a far bigger effect on the western world.

Will this put pressure on the already fragile economic situation in europe and the usa?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

"waves 60 miles inland" did anybody see the boat that was 60 miles inland, crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Massive massive earthquake. What's the craic with the natural disasters in recent times

This earthquake is thousands of times more powerful then the one that hit NZ recently. 6th most powerful in recorded history

Seismologist just on the BBC said that earthquales of the NZ proportion happen on average every three days - just that they are rare to hit large populated areas.
    Reports on the BBC also that there is a fire at a nuclear power plant - source AP

re the nuclear plant : from breaking news twitter.

Miyagi prefecture nuclear plant fire update: Smoke seen at building separate from reactor; no reports of radioactive leaks, injuries - AP
    20 minutes ago via breakingnews.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

amacachi wrote: »
    Everyone needs to rememeber this isn't the USSR, those stations will be extremely safe and will have a massive amount of failsafes, there's little to worry about with them.

This is true. I know people think of the horrors of Chernobyl when nuclear power enters any debate. The cause of that disaster was an unauthorised experiment by the scientists working in the Chernobyl plant where they overrode automatic shutdowns in the reactor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Overature wrote: »
    "waves 60 miles inland" did anybody see the boat that was 60 miles inland, crazy

Jesus Christ, is this true?

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Will this put pressure on the already fragile economic situation in europe and the usa?

Probably not the time to think about our economies :mad:

Overature wrote: »

afaik boats can go on rivers aswell. ;)

• Advertisement

Its at 32 now but i remember the Boxing Day tsunami went from 20-200-2000 in the space of 5 hours.

I think deaths will be reported more quickly and accurately in Japan though. I'd expect this to get into the thousands but will be a lot lower than 04.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement