Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's actually the entire west coast of America according to AP.

yeah but i heard due to the direction its heading from japan, the further south you go the less damage there will be, so from southern california upwards the greater the risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Me too. Not the nicest news to start the day to. Makes you just think...how taken for granted where we live on this world is.

I always point out how lucky we are to live here. I can't think of many if any places less prone to dramatic natural events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Seaneh wrote: »
    Reuters reported it over half an hour before sky, and local media before That, sky mentioned it in passing but didn't focus on it.

Fair enough, I'm only listening to BBC atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Words fail me to describe how bad this is. Lots of love to everyone there and those here who have family/friends there. XXX

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have FoxNews established a link to alQaeda yet?

• Advertisement

whycliff wrote: »
    Was in Japan 9 years ago at the 2002 World Cup.
    It is an amazing country. Fantastic cities.
    The most friendliest people you will ever meet.
    This has the potential to be the biggest disaster in History.
    My heart goes out to each and every one of them.

It's looking bad but there's been worse things that have happen even in the last decade. I agree with your last line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

amacachi wrote: »
    I always point out how lucky we are to live here. I can't think of many if any places less prone to dramatic natural events.

So true the very worst that might happen here is a tsunami caused by a volcanic island rock in Portgual which could let go at some point but not worth loosing any sleep over.

Just watching the news, footage of a landmass with a fire raging being moved across ploughed fields by the water underneath looked quite surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It's looking bad but there's been worse things that have happen even in the last decade. I agree with your last line though.

It has the potential.

Haiti Earthquake and Sumatra Tsunami will probably turn out to be worse in terms of death toll, but this may have a far bigger effect on the western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Relax.

mike65 wrote: »
    So true the very worst that might happen here is a tsunami caused by a volcanic island rock in Portgual which could let go at some point but not worth loosing any sleep over.
    Yeah I remember that happened last month, was awful.
    You know perfectly well what I meant, how often do we get drought or wildfires or earthquakes? When was the last Tsunami here? How often do we get what the yanks or Japanese would call a proper storm?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It has the potential.

Haiti Earthquake and Sumatra Tsunami will probably turn out to be worse in terms of death toll, but this may have a far bigger effect on the western world.

Japan is to the East.

Japan is to the East.

The economic knock-on to the west could be worse. Which is a bigger disaster than a few hundred thousand peasants getting killed apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

the whole californian coastline now on tsunami alert, i could be wrong, but that cant be good news for hawaii considering that will be hit 1st before california

I have some friends and family that live on the Northern California coast. Here's hoping it's all okay.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Nuclear power station emergency situation warning issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

It has the potential.

Big effect if i dont get my 3ds

Bloody hell this is a nasty one imaging if the epicentre was on the land it would be a slate wiper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah I remember that happened last month, was awful.

You know perfectly well what I meant, how often do we get drought or wildfires or earthquakes? When was the last Tsunami here? How often do we get what the yanks or Japanese would call a proper storm?

Almost never I think the last big weather event that killed more than one or two was in the 18th century on the west coast, Mayo I think.

btw that Portugal volcano was not a joke on my part, its happened before 1755

http://geology.com/noaa/atlantic-ocean-tsunami/atlantic-ocean-tsunami-lisbon.jpg

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I have some friends and family that live on the Northern California coast. Here's hoping it's all okay.:(

If you can contact them do it. One wonders what kind of measures/evacuation will be put into place at 2am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Konata wrote: »
    This is very true. Japanese engineers have developed incredible building structures. The buildings shake as the ground shakes - moving with it rather than resisting it. It's truly fascinating and incredible, that even after an 8.9 earthquake, 99% of buildings are still standing.
    meanwhile in africa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Once the reactors are shut down completely and correctly, there's little or no danger of fire causing any sort of nuclear meltdown. Would that be correct?

Japan is to the East.

Very well spotted. Don't know how I missed that.
    But I suppose if your in L.A its the West?

What I meant was in terms of economically it will have a far bigger effect on the western world.

Japan has one of the biggest economies in the world, it will no doubt have an effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The economic knock-on to the west could be worse. Which is a bigger disaster than a few hundred thousand peasants getting killed apparently.

Its now the developed worlds fault that the earth quakes. I'l add that to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Watching the NHK World channel, my god. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watching the footage on sky news and the US channels and i must say this tsunami looks massive in scale.
    Footage of trucks,buses,cars driving on motorways being met with a wall of sea and debris and picked up like toy trucks is frightening to see.
    God bless them all.

mike65 wrote: »
    Almost never I think the last big weather event that killed more than one or two was in the 18th century on the west coast, Mayo I think.

btw that Portugal volcano was not a joke on my part, its happened before 1755

http://geology.com/noaa/atlantic-ocean-tsunami/atlantic-ocean-tsunami-lisbon.jpg

I'm familiar with the concept however a collapse any time soon is fairly unlikely and the odds of a tsunami arising from such a collapse are far from certain, further lowering the chances of a big impact here.
    My point was when you look at the massive flooding in Europe, Earthquakes in Indonesia, Chile, New Zealand and Japan, the flooding in Queensland, wildfires in parts of the USA and Victoria all within the last year it makes Ireland look pretty tame.

You're quoting yourelf there, because I never said that.

Merely pointing out possible ramifications.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Its now the developed worlds fault that the earth quakes. I'l add that to the list.
    I didn't say that, I was referring to this poster who previously said this could be the biggest disaster in history:
    Very well spotted. Don't know how I missed that.
    But I suppose if your in L.A its the West?

What I meant was in terms of economically it will have a far bigger effect on the western world.

Japan has one of the biggest economies in the world, it will no doubt have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

In terms of loss of life, I doubt it tbh. Indian Ocean Earthquake, 250,000+ killed because it was highly unprepared for the scale of the quake and tsunami.

Japan is highly prepared plus the tsunami warning systems have been improved across the ring of fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Was in Japan 9 years ago at the 2002 World Cup.
    It is an amazing country. Fantastic cities.
    The most friendliest people you will ever meet.
    My heart goes out to each and every one of them.

I don't think so. Don't think it will even come close to the death toll in Iran in 2004/05.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dcully wrote: »
    ....God bless them all.

And God allowed this earthquake to happen..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement