Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

BREAKING NEWS: Ship carrying 100 people carried away by tsunami: Miyagi police

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This is really heart breaking stuff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

ranopano wrote: »
    That's their job. Why do you think they're doing it, just to be pricks? It doesn't take away from the tragedy. People care about oil prices, and people care about how much the damage costs because that affects the economy, as does oil prices. So the media report it.

Not to be pricks (and drop the attitude), just to fill in airtime with completely irrelevant (at this moment) information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Separately, Fukushima Prefecture, the site of a Tokyo Electric Power (9501.T) nuclear power plant, said on Friday the plant's reactor cooling system was functioning, denying an earlier report that it was malfunctioning.

Good news if this is true, Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

A train has gone missing also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

From BBC:
    1136: Reuters quotes a report on Japan's Kyodo news agency which says that a ship carrying 100 people was swept away by the tsunami.

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In shock here for the second time in a month :( Japan's a wonderful country, alas a disaster of this magnitude has long been predicted. Hopefully the damage won't be too severe. Thoughts are with everyone over there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

terrifying my God :eek:
    I read on a 2012 forum that earthquakes are going to keep getting stronger 8.9 thats massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Good news if this is true, Reuters
    hope this is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

i feel so fcuking helpless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

mixednuts wrote: »
    why not fly over a lend a hand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Some disturbing imagery of the earthquake from a japan news station
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbstv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

123balltv wrote: »
    I read on a 2012 forum that earthquakes are going to keep getting stronger 8.9 thats massive

OMG!!!!! it's all coming true! what'll we do? what'll we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Earthquakes are cyclic,pressure builds up from plate movement and has to be released,it's just that these days with increased populations,more and more people live in these earthquake zones so the damage and death toll is increased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

6th strongest since records began. When was that?

This is a terrible event. Why are posters thanking god for saving people when if god saved them he also caused the event?

By the time a tsunami has crossed the Pacific to California will it be a three foot wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

All this nuclear stuff is the really scary sh1t!!
    I saw the news earlier and didnt realise the magnitude of the whole situation til I caught the news here on my break. Shocking.
    I hope the death toll is as low as possible, at least their infrastructure is relatively sound-going to make one hell of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

TheAnswer wrote: »
    It's shocking that the Media are already discussing what effect the tsumami has had on the global price of oil and what effect it has had on the stock markets rather than the lives/livlihoods/homes/infrastructure destroyed. It was the same with the NZ 'quake, how many billions of dollars damage it caused and very little about the emotional/personal devastation to "people":(

Why is it shocking. Its the medias job to report on things of interest.
    Firstly is absolutely heart breaking on the Japanese Government and people to have to deal with what is unfolding in front of them.
    I would imagine the whole world is shock and would not wish this to happen to any nation.
    But after that its only natural to think of what effect this may have on you personally or you as a nation.
    Its not being cold. Its fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mixednuts wrote: »

Give all your money to the Red Cross. That'll help!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will people stop mentioning the rubbish of 2012 theory as its getting boring now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Hey TheAnswer, Did your Mammy keep you off school today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Don't post on this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ranopano

6th strongest since records began. When was that?

This is a terrible event. Why are posters thanking god for saving people when if god saved them he also caused the event?

By the time a tsunami has crossed the Pacific to California will it be a three foot wave?

1900. People who believe in God don't share your exact view of God. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

[QUOTE=Mr. Presentable;71109946

?[/QUOTE]

Lets not get into that. This is neither the time nor the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Goodgolfer

I understand that this was caused by Pacific tectonic plate and the North American plate converging...or are they diverging or is it a transform fault???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So you think the worlds coming to an end do you? Stop reading guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ranopano

"The BBC's Greg Ward in New Zealand says authorities have downgraded the tsunami threat. They say there is now a marine threat only. This means strong and unusual currents are possible in the sea, river mouths and estuaries, but no land threat is expected, our correspondent says."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ranopano wrote: »
    1900. People who believe in God don't share your exact view of God. No.

its a valid point though, if god is omnipotent then he caused the quake as well, if he didnt hes not omnipotent, just incompetent.

edit: anyway, like was said, not the time or the place

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Goodgolfer wrote: »
    I understand that this was caused by Pacific tectonic plate and the North American plate converging...or are they diverging or is it a transform fault???

transform, the plate japan is on is moving north-northeast, the other south-southwest iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Looking at the footage from Japan is shocking but i'm also shocked at what seems like really poor infrastructural planning.

I mean the airports flooded, two nuclear powerplants in trouble and the oil refinary is going up in smoke, Japan is a hotspot for earthquakes, did they not forsee these kind of disasters when building infrastructure rather than putting their own people in even more danger.

On a personal level i'm based in Korea but could so easily have ended up in Tokyo so am quite relieved. I really feel for the Japanese people, I meet so many of them here on my travels, a very warm and friendly bunch of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clareguy

Anyone up for some Sushi?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement