Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Poor Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

and we complain cause we dont get a bit of sunshine or we get rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Oh ****!!!!
    Irish Weather Online

BREAKING: Tsunami advisory in place for the Iwate prefecture in Japan following a strong earthquake. More to follow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Alas, Earthquakes are going to be part of life in Japan and Christchurch for the forseeable future. Cursed faultlines under awesome places :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Magnitude 6.7 and 5.7 km deep. Looks like it's a big one
    http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Threads Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus we dont realise how lucky we are in Ireland we really dont.

Taughts are with them.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

And just to add to their misery, a tropical storm system currently lashing the Gulf Of Thailand dropping some 200mm of rain will progress northwards and hit Northern Japan's devastated area and is expected to be dumping some 150mm of rain with a chance that this system will organise into a typhoon!

Flooding expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

A new gunderson vid has just been released:
    http://www.fairewinds.com/updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

This nuclear power station is still belching out radiation into the environment.

Fukushima beef has now been banned.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14198789

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Heard a disturbing programme on the world service about this last night. One scientist believes that the quake in March, because of its intensity, could just be the beginning of many more to come in the region. Scary stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12711226

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2011/07/16/tectonic-plate-tension-increasing-for-the-potential-of-another-large-quake/

The list of moderate earthquakes shaking the globe include a 5.6 in Tonga, followed by a 5.1, and 5.0 in Kermadec, twin quakes in Baja, California and an earthquake swarm in the Virgin Islands. There was also a 5.3 off the eastern coast of Japan, a 5.9 in the South Sandwich Islands near Antarctica, a 5.3 in Bolivia on the Nazca plate and a 5.4 earthquake in Vanuatu in the Pacific. I believe conditions exist for the possible outbreak of another large quake over the next 72 to 96 hours. People in high-risk seismic zones should remain alert for the possibility of quake events. (TheExtinctionProtocol)

This was posted last Friday, hopefully he is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Angry Fukushima residents wanting answers (19th July)

Totally amazing video, "I don't think they have that right!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

In this video nuclear engineers Arnie Gundersen and David Lochbaum walk, step-by-step, through the events of the Japanese meltdowns and consider how the knowledge gained from Fukushima applies to the nuclear industry worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

So what's happening with the Nuclear accident? It's not covered on the news any more... I assume it's all cleaned up now and there's nothing for the Japanese people to worry about?

Right?

RIGHT??

Coles wrote: »
    So what's happening with the Nuclear accident? It's not covered on the news any more... I assume it's all cleaned up now and there's nothing for the Japanese people to worry about?

Right?

RIGHT??

Right. Nothing to see here. The government has it all under control, now move along.

;):P

Coles wrote: »

Right?

RIGHT??

Did you follow the videos?

You'll have heard how Japanese people do not have the right to clean air, right, you heard that didn't you?

It'll be ten years before the Japanese Governments can begin to tackle the Fukushima clean up.

Tents are being built to attempt to contain the continuing radiation leaks, they will not stop for several years but they just might be contained inside new tents.

What's the half life of plutonium? Where has it been found?

Link to Fairewinds. The 4th August update is worth watching. Gundersen talks about the massive levels of radiation found on site at Fukushima, how they were concentrated at the chimney stacks because so much radiation was vented to the atmosphere, and the impact the high levels will have on the clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,657 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You'll have heard how Japanese people do not have the right to clean air, right, you heard that didn't you?
    In the interest of total pedantry: neither do you.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    In the interest of total pedantry: neither do you.

You have actually watched the videos? A government official said he did not think the Japanese people had that right in answer to a question from a reporter about right to clean air.

He then abandons the news conference as the reported looked like they'd lynch him there and then.

No I don't care to spend the half hour, as it won't change the idea that they and I and You do not have a Right to Clean Air. At least I don't think it's something covered conventionally, unless I am mistaken. Am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Overheal, regardles of how well you post here, there is still the glaringly obvious fact that coverage of fukushima has virtually evaporated. If the nuclear power plants were not there, there may equally not have been much coverage now. But...the fact remains that there is a long term disaster in the making there. One that shows nuclear power in a bad light. One that dents the profits of the nuclear power lobby, no doubt. Suspicious? Hell yes! I have a brain and so does a lot of people. And we ARE suspicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Angry Fukushima residents wanting answers (19th July)

that is shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone that would consider moving in to within a fifty mile radius of Fukushima would be a fool.

I have a brain and so does a lot of people.
    Tee hee
    shedweller wrote: »
    Overheal, regardles of how well you post here, there is still the glaringly obvious fact that coverage of fukushima has virtually evaporated. If the nuclear power plants were not there, there may equally not have been much coverage now. But...the fact remains that there is a long term disaster in the making there. One that shows nuclear power in a bad light. One that dents the profits of the nuclear power lobby, no doubt. Suspicious? Hell yes! I have a brain and so does a lot of people. And we ARE suspicious!
    What does that theory have to do with clean air rights?

For another thing are you familiar with any major developments in the fukushima situation that would warrant more media attention and more of the fear mongering that went with it? I'm all for media attention and fearmonegering but at least supply a reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Overheal wrote: »
    For another thing are you familiar with any major developments in the fukushima situation that would warrant more media attention and more of the fear mongering that went with it?

Major developments relatively speaking, or things that would have made the headlines had people not been trying to forget/sweep Fukushima under the carpet?
    http://enenews.com/ provides a great list of things that warrant media attention...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Is any one freaked out by the quietness of the Japanese media? I mean, its great they arent fear mongering, but like they´re awful quiet. Different culture I guess

Ficheall wrote: »
    Major developments relatively speaking, or things that would have made the headlines had people not been trying to forget/sweep Fukushima under the carpet?
    http://enenews.com/ provides a great list of things that warrant media attention...
    Thats a great news feed and not being dismissive about the severity of the issue but why does it currently warrant ongoing foreign media attention? I'm sure plenty of reports will crop up time to time that update people on the situation but since it is no longer a crisis for say the Eastern US, or Europe, whats the point of minute-to-minute reporting of this issue? Is there something we can do about it? Japan basically snubbed aid. And they have a fair size pool of it to accept if they need it. The only thing else we can do is let the regulators do their inspections of our Nuclear Energy at home and that won't happen overnight. There is no helpful purpose in keeping the media hyped up about closing down Europe/America's Nuclear Energy sources in the midst of economic crisis. Most people have enough on their plates just trying to put food on the table without worrying that it's irradiated.

• Advertisement

Fukushima Radiation Alarms Doctors, - Al Jajerra
    Doctors in Japan are already treating patients suffering health effects they attribute to radiation from the ongoing nuclear disaster.

"We have begun to see increased nosebleeds, stubborn cases of diarrhoea, and flu-like symptoms in children," Dr Yuko Yanagisawa, a physician at Funabashi Futawa Hospital in Chiba Prefecture, told Al Jazeera.

She attributes the symptoms to radiation exposure, and added: "We are encountering new situations we cannot explain with the body of knowledge we have relied upon up until now."

"The situation at the Daiichi Nuclear facility in Fukushima has not yet been fully stabilised, and we can't yet see an end in sight," Yanagisawa said. "Because the nuclear material has not yet been encapsulated, radiation continues to stream into the environment."

More...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement