Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

No I didn't think you were attacking me, no worries :)

I do understand the fear of radiation - it can't be seen and is so difficult to block. A lot of the fear is probably cold war era which is why young people like my don't fear it that much.
    I doubt the place is going to be that messed up. They may put up an exclusion zone but its not a Chernobyl Raquel situation where inner bits of the reactor were strewn out.

Do i think it is worth it? Yes, I do. There ate millions of Asthmatics in this world due to pollution from fossil fuels.
    Tens of Thousands of square kilometers of land has been destroyed by and oil. The same for the sea.
    Look, I'm fairly liberal and pro-Green but I'm a realist. Its not plausible to ever power the worlds ever increasing power consumption with renewables. It is plausible with nuclear. What with climate change and the massive pollution in the world today, Nuclear IS the safe option, it IS worth the risk.

Why do you doubt the possibility that the place isn't going to be messed up? Is that based on any logical thinking, or just what you want to believe, because an older boy (profiteering media) told you so?

We have no idea yet whether Fukushima is going to be more or less damaging than Chernobyl. Information is still incredibly sketchy, and we have no idea of what long-term damage may or may not be caused. We are still trying to evaluate the damage of Chernobyl. What can be ascribed to what. We simply don't know yet, and that was twenty five years ago.

Anyone who believes that they know what the fallout (sorry for the word) from Fukushima will be, is either ignorant, arrogant, or just a tosser.

We simply don't know yet. It may take decades or centuries of analytical science before we know whether or not we should have been playing with things that we don't fully understand.

That was Einstein's position. He had a scrap of humility and just "felt" that God doesn't play dice. Who knows whether he was right or wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

What I am saying is that in Chernobyl bits of the inside of a reactor were spewed put. There has been radiation leaks (theres a lot of radioactive material onsite) but there hasnt been huge quantities (any?) of radioactive material thrown far outside the compound.
    There has been contaminated water, and lots of it, which is a bigger worry for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

There has been radiation leaks (theres a lot of radioactive material onsite) but there hasnt been huge quantities (any?) of radioactive material thrown far outside the compound.
    I thought they found some fuel from unit 4 fuel pool a km away? I'm sure I read a report on this sometime over the last 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

I thought they found some fuel from unit 4 fuel pool a km away? I'm sure I read a report on this sometime over the last 3 months.

Yeah there was something about some fuel almost a kilometer away after one of the hydrogen explosions IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, it's a different setup to Chernobyl but, it doesn't mean it's any less likely to be environmentally disastrous.

Chernobyl was a reactor explosion - The reactor went out of control during an experiment to test the shut-down cooling mechanism. It's a 1950s design called RBMK which was basically an attempt by the Soviets to re-use a military reactor design, the main purpose of which was to produce plutonium for weapons, as a nuclear power reactor.

As a design, it has a lot of shortcomings. The reactor is enormous by any standards, it's graphite moderated, but water cooled, and if the water boils too rapidly you can get steam pockets (voids) in the reactor core which allow the reaction to speed up (light water also partially moderates the reaction).

It also had, at that stage, no containment structures and the reactor itself was capped by a large concrete plug.

So, basically what happened at Chernobyl was they were testing out the emergency cooling system, which was supposed to be able to use the spinning generators to start the pumps giving the diesel generators enough time to kick-in.

The experiment didn't go according to plan and the operators did not get the correct information about what was actually happening in the core due largely to inadequate and obsolete instrumentation and very slow computer systems.

The reactor boiled, loads of voids were created, so the reaction got even faster. Then enormous steam pressure built up, blew the top off the reactor spewing stuff everywhere. After that, the reactor core itself caught fire (it's graphite) sending more radioactive dust high up into the atmosphere.

Fukushima has a few differences:

The entire multi-reactor site lost cooling power, and was also probably severely damaged by the quake's shaking the buildings.

The reactors were shut down, but not for very long, so they overheated without cooling.

This appears to, according to TEPCO's most recent information, caused meltdowns i.e. the fuel assemblies collapsed to the bottom of the reactors and a melt-through in one case where the fuel has burnt a hole through the bottom of the reactor. Due to the rather odd design of this type of reactor, the control rods enter through the BOTTOM of the vessel, so it's quite possible the graphite plugs that seal them have melted and it's now resembling an upside down pepper canister with reactor core material seeping out into the containment below it.

TEPCO have pumped vast amounts of water through these failed reactors, which must have mostly run back into the sea, evaporated or run into groundwater/local rivers so that is also a huge difference in the scenario. It's hard to know whether this will have a better or far worse outcome as it may have washed a hell of a lot of contaminated water straight into the environment.

Then, you've got the other side of it which is that there were quite clearly explosions and continuous boiling off of steam in the fuel storage pools. That may have scattered debris all over the place in a very similar way to Chernobyl as these pools have no containment whatsoever other than a building which is not too different from your local hardware store roof.

You've got the complication that Fukushima was using MOX in at least one reactor. This contains plutonium, which is generally regarded as far more risky than uranium. Chernobyl was designed to use natural uranium to avoid processing complications and costs. So, it would have been a far more straight forward type of fuel being used.

Finally, the Soviets were able to get the situation under control quite quickly by throwing the entire resources of the USSR's formidable military and the entire resources of the state at it.

Japan's a democracy, and it's not anything like as well equipped as the USSR was in the 1980s so it had neither the ability to compel people to go in and do something, nor does it have the vast manpower and technical resources that the soviets had in that era.

Then, to make matters worse, Chernobyl's located in a relatively low density population area. Fukushima is only over a hundred miles from Tokyo, one of the largest population centres on the planet.

So, all in all I would not be too confident that Fukushima won't be an absolute health and environmental catastrophe on a scale we have not seen before.

If we are going to continue to use nuclear power, we really have to design these facilities / upgrade them so that they are fundamentally fail-safe. That's clearly not the case with either of these designs of reactor, or possibly any design of reactor used in a seismic and tsunami zone.

All I know is that I'd be a little concerned about any trips to Japan and I wouldn't be overly keen to swim/surf on the US or Canadian West Coast, until I know exactly what's going on! I'd also give any Pacific fish e.g. canned tuna etc, a miss for a while.

We simply do not have the facts about this accident yet, and until we have them all in the public domain, I think it's quite reasonable to take simple precautions to avoid unnecessary exposure to anything that did come out of it.

(Sorry for the long post, it's a complicated topic!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Solnskaya wrote: »
    And i'm sure all the food will be fine, they said it would be.

Of course it will, sure haven't they already raised the 'safe' level of contamination from 200μSv to 200Sv ~ no bother at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Just to focus minds, one small issue is 66,000 cubic meters of highly contaminated water currently sitting in open ditches beside the reactors, that excludes the further vast quantities in evap ponds and within the basement. Any idea what 66,000 cubic meters of water looks like or just what a massive problem that alone presents? I have had to deal with spillages of 2 cubic meters of non-hazardous but environmentally negative liquids in the course of work, and 2 cubic meters is a pain in the hole, 66,000-140,000 cubic meters is a logistical and environmental nightmare. That does not include the further incalculable millions of gallons that were dropped, pumped and sprayed onto the reactors and simply leached back to the ocean, laden with isotopes and by-products so toxic that exposure to them is almost a guarantee of death.

Question if I may. Been watching the tepco webcam, is that smoke fog or vapour floating about does anyone know?
    Thanks.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Jake1 wrote: »
    Question if I may. Been watching the tepco webcam, is that smoke fog or vapour floating about does anyone know?
    Thanks.

It's just "steam" being released, bullsh1t always releases steam if you pile it up too thick.

It's just "steam" being released, bullsh1t always releases steam if you pile it up too thick.

hmm, right, thanks for that ..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Jake1 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Not sure. Just seen a dog or a fox crossing the screen. Anyone else see it?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

el diablo wrote: »
    Not sure. Just seen a dog or a fox crossing the screen. Anyone else see it?

Did it have ears? :eek:

Did it have ears? :eek:

didnt see it, sorry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Just imagine the amount of radiation it's been exposed to. :eek: it might show up again if you watch the feed for a bit.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

More than likely just radioactive steam from the cooling ponds or one or other of the reactors.

Anything vapourising / smoking from that plant is almost definitely radioactive.

Solair wrote: »
    More than likely just radioactive steam from the cooling ponds or one or other of the reactors.

Anything vapourising / smoking from that plant is almost definitely radioactive.

Thanks Solair, that was more along the lines I was looking for :)

The wildlife running around are Tanuki (狸) or Japanese Raccoon-Dogs

Pic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Tanuki01_960.jpg/220px-Tanuki01_960.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Raccoon_Dog

Sadly, they'll be pretty heavily exposed to radiation if they're roaming that TEPCO facility's campus.

They occasionally pick up the odd radioactive wild boar in Germany from Chernobyl!!

http://news.discovery.com/animals/radioactive-wild-boars-increase-in-number.html

The big issue from Fukushima is likely to be the long-term contamination of fisheries.
    Many Pacific fish migrate through waters that are likely to have been pretty seriously contaminated by this catastrophe.

Check this blog out for a bit of information on Pacific Salmon :

http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2011/03/salmon-migration-routes-and-japans.html

The big problem is that various isotopes will get into the food chain e.g. by being absorbed by plankton. That concentrates it up, then it's consumed by small fish, that concentrates it some more, then it's consumed by bigger fish, increasing the concentration even more and eventually a large fish like a Tuna comes along and eats prey and you've super-concentrated amounts of some radioactive isotope in the tuna's muscles.
    (The same applies to toxic non-radioactive heavy meal pollution e.g. mercury)

Then someone eats the tuna and you've problems...

We could have problems with Pacific fisheries for >30 years as a result of this.

Japanese cuisine is largely fish-based so this is a huge issue for them.

This is footage captured from TEPCO's own live camera feeds (on the web) on 14/06/2011 from midnight onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sE6050Vhh0

Take a the building towards the back of the shot and play from 1:00 to about 1:08 (you will see a bright flash - possible explosion / fire?)

Then by about 2:12, it starts to release LOTS of vapour.

There is still a lot of very odd stuff going on at that plant...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

just in on sky news. :eek:

Mod warning:
    As always, any jokes or tasteless posts will result in a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

:( Hopefully not as bad as the last.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sweet Mother Have Mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

T'wasnt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Those poor fookers, your heart goes out to them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ah shíte. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Relatively small compared to the last. Doubt it will have much damage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Breaking..... Japan issues tsunami warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

dlofnep wrote: »

Depends how deep down it happened and if is was out in the coast or inland. Can't tell the damage by just the magnitude alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

they just said it was a 6.8 followed by a 6.7...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

dlofnep wrote: »

in actual fact it's not so much the magnitude as the area where it hits,historically some of the biggest killers have been average magnitude deep quakes hitting land but luckily this one is out at sea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

NHK (Japan TV) have carried a Tsunami warning and advised coastal residents to evacuate although they state the risk seems to be low at this point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement