Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

digme wrote: »
    dont be silly, the wave will be about 1 foot high and thats a fact

It was 4 ft high and thats a fact!

total height of wake island is 6 meters

gbee wrote: »
    Can you add thanking God to this list please. And I'm not joking.

Shut up. Seriously. Just shut up.

If people want to pray to God or thank God then that is their own business. Do you really think that's what matters?

BBC are playing down the nuclear warning threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If people want to pray to God or thank God then that is their own business. Do you really think that's what matters?

QFT we don't need pious thoughts on this thread really, or 2012 mystical nonsence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Evacuation ordered around Fukushima power plant being reported on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

WTF is with that music on Sky News? Uncalled for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Shut up. Seriously. Just shut up.

BBC are playing down the nuclear warning threat.

This

That_Guy wrote: »

Well your first problem is that you're watching Sky News. BBC's live coverage is pretty impressive.

The fire at the nuclear power plant has been put out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

then that is their own business. .

Absolutely CORRECT. Their OWN business, I don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lads , keep it on topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I love Japan/Japanese.

Totally calm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

mike65 wrote: »
    QFT we don't need pious thoughts on this thread really, or 2012 mystical nonsence.

People have a right to their own personal opinions and beliefs. It is your own problem if you are offended by these.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

best news so far!

Well your first problem is that you're watching Sky News. BBC's live coverage is pretty impressive.

I'm watching BBC but the lad in the office has Sky News on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Panrich wrote: »
    Evacuation ordered around Fukushima power plant being reported on twitter

BREAKING NEWS: 2,000 residents near Fukushima nuclear power plant urged to evacuate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

So it looks like it's an on going problem

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

That_Guy wrote: »

What music are they playing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is it really necessary to get into these petty arguments about religion or whatever?

There's a massive catastrophe after occuring, a significant loss of life in a country many of us on here are familiar with. Can we not discuss and reflect on that without pulling this petty squabbling into it? There's plenty of places for those debates, and unfortunately there's more important things going on at the moment than people arguing about stuff on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Am I doing maths right here?
    Japan to Peru is roughly 15000km and thats expected to feel it 21 hours after the earthquake hit.How fast is that thing going?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,207 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There's loads of different options out there. I don't know why people watch Sky News if they are going to complain. It's ****e, we get it.

Al-Jazeera
    NHK
    BBC

There's something so surreal about watching this seemingly slow moving wave of rubble moving across a vast area of land with a boat in it.

@gbee - this is not the discussion for it. If you want to discuss the topic of religion on boards then go to Feedback and start a thread there. People are as welcome to express their belief as much as you are to express your disbelief, so just leave them at it. Like I said, if you have a problem, go to Feedback and start a thread there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ranopano

Japan to Peru is roughly 15000km and thats expected to feel it 21 hours after the earthquake hit.How fast is that thing going?

500-600mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RTE digital news channel is showing NHK,they haven't even used their own newscasters if only for filling.
    When something major happens,Sky is usually the first port of call for people looking for coverage,as was stated earlier it was the first channel in this part of the world to have coverage.

What music are they playing?

It was like trailer music for a horror or something. Really harrowing score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Those aerial shots of fire and flooding really shows how bad it is. Fcuking hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In deep water a wave can move at about 550-600 mph (880-950 kp/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

My heart goes out to all the people affected by the tsunami and the power plant, it's going to be a hard few days for everyone over there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

On the NHK (just now): Nuclear emergency cooling system failed - diesel powered backup cooling system failed. Government declared State of Emergency at Fukushima,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ranopano wrote: »
    500-600mph.
    Its not just my maths then.
    Fine bit of speed there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Apparently it's speed is close to that of a jumbo 747.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

This video put the bejasus up me ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement