Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw 14/3/11 *Spoilers*

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But I think if you make it as simple as

"I want to end your streak"

"Ok"

then its just really lazy booking and just falling on circumstance rather than building a feud. Make the streak an issue sure but do more than that, it doesn't sell itself anymore seeing as everyone assumes Taker will win, they need to give people a reason to think Taker won't win a la HBK retiring. It's sports entertainment so using a boxing feud is pointless because its not an athletic contest, no matter how much HHH hates or trains for Taker its a predetermined result so they have to do more than say "they both want to win".

Every Mania feud is about ending the streak, why can't they make it more intense or interesting. As I said in a previous Raw why not have it that HHH wanting to end the streak but Undertaker wasn't interested because he previously beat him and the following weeks were spent with HHH provoking Taker into a match establishing not only HHH as a potential heel but also something to do with the weeks leading upto Mania and giving Taker a reason to want to shut HHH up for a better reason than "that rascal interrupted my return".

I've never seen a big Mania match built so badly in my life. Why couldn't they have interviewed HHH and had HHH go on about his desire or need to beat Taker instead of HBK putting out a generic "he's a good wrestler, he's tough to beat, he has so much desire" interview. Or why not have HHH come out to wrestle a match, have the lights go out, dong dong, lights on, HHH laying prone in the ring and have Taker justify it by saying that was a consequence of HHH interrupting Takers return. Have Underaker come out for an interview and have HHH force production to cut off Takers mic because what Taker has to say doesnt matter, its all about the Game or something. Just do SOMETHING!

The night they returned, everyone defended the "return" by saying "oh they don't need to interact, they've 5 more weeks to build Mania, your reactions are so unnecessary", well they've wasted 2 of them doing absolutely nothing. HBK telling us that HHH needs to win and Taker won't be easy to beat couldn't be more of a "no shít" interview. As you said the return promo was hugely discussed but they absolutely failed to use the momentum that that video and return created.

There are still a few weeks to go, we don't know where they will bring the build up. Plus the streak is an angle that has been built for years. It sells itself, you don't need to add needless complications. The HBK videos are obviously building to something as well. I think things like having HHH have a match and having Taker interrupt it is just going over old ground and would be pointless. We instinctively know why they are having the match, nothing else needs to be added. There is potential for HHH to have a great promo soon explaining what it means to him. I think something like the old-style interviews in a studio would suit it. Or else a video clip showing him in training etc. Their interactions and appearances should be limited to build anticipation for the match.

Basically, let them do it first before complaining about what they haven't done. We don't know what HHH or Taker will say or do in the next few weeks.

The boxing reference is not meant to be taken too literally. I just mean they are putting up 2 greats against each other like in a big-time boxing match. It's also like seeing 2 gun-slingers in a Western agreeing to a shoot out. I don't think every wrestling feud needs to follow the same pattern and I feel people are complaining because this is a little different. We have to wait until Mania and see what the payoff is, until then we don't have the full story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd say this feud is doing wonders for sales of Fruity pebbles anyway. I'd never evenheard of the bloody things until a few weeks ago.:pac:

The rock/Cena feud has fizzled out quite a bit for me - on both sides. Both men's original contribitions were top class, but since then they've both failed to keep the standard up I have to say. Disappointing.

With regards HHH/Taker, I think less is more. It sells itself. They could have gone the "avenging HBK" route, or played off WM 17, but really the match barely needs a build. The two top dogs are going at it. Away you go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

apparently Cena and HHH both had promos on SmackDown this past week (I was wondering why neither did on RAW) ......how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

jaykhunter wrote: »
    apparently Cena and HHH both had promos on SmackDown this past week (I was wondering why neither did on RAW) ......how was it?

I'd imagine it was on Smackdown just to boost the SD ratings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Huh, something that hit me. Bourne wasn't used this week, was he? Given his big return and the win over Sheamus, you'd think they'd do something with him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

I also said the kid's rap and selling the tears was top notch to, but you forgot that and the smiley after it, l'm getting fairly fed up of if the writers gave cena this, if the writers gave cena that, why doesnt he sit down and do his own promo's then, and no if the rock sat down open mouthed for 5-10 or even 15mins it would not been fantastic, it would be crap, and if you taught that promo was worse then cena's nearly 10 year now, constant homosexual referenced promos, well that in fact says everything to me. but i agree the rock cena is getting old, simply because the miz has stepped up to the plate now

John 'Creative Recall' Piermarini claims "Cena, Punk, Miz, Kane, Undertaker, Edge, Jericho to name a handful" are allowed to write their own promos for what it's worth. (link)

jaykhunter wrote: »

I watched SmackDown and Cena STILL neglected to mention that he's challenging for the WWE title, and HHH cut a short promo reiterating Shawn's sentiments (that he's unemotional). Weak.

Tick-tock, there's only two more RAWs before Mania, they need to turn up the heat or it'll just be a really flat build-up (regardless of how good the actual match is)....Isn't the whole point of doing HHH/Taker over elevating younger talent by association to get buys?

Ridley wrote: »
    John 'Creative Recall' Piermarini claims "Cena, Punk, Miz, Kane, Undertaker, Edge, Jericho to name a handful" are allowed to write their own promos for what it's worth. (link)

That's been pointed out a few times on here. Always an ignored statement though! All top stars will have a lot of input into their promos. Sure they'll get assistance, but the top bracket guys are not just given a script and told "learn this!".

• Registered Users Posts: 85,474 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think The Rock needs to be live on one Raw at least before Mania

I'd say you can pretty much guarandamtee he will be on Raw before then given what he said it in the promo on Monday.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think The Rock needs to be live on one Raw at least before Mania

There's only two RAWs left so I reckon Cena/Miz confrontation on RAW and next week Rock'll be there live.....see there's no match so the best WrestleMania can offer is a confrontation and a couple of moves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

how dare you, have you not read the posts on here that says john cena has no imput into his promo's except when there half decent, when they suck, they are the writers fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

That's been pointed out a few times on here. Always an ignored statement though! All top stars will have a lot of input into their promos. Sure they'll get assistance, but the top bracket guys are not just given a script and told "learn this!".

and you, well you should know better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

So I think we can assume Snooki is a lock for the wwe hall of fame in the future :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

and steve corino who went for a job backstage at wwe claims cm punks stuff was all scripted by some nameless woman in his rf shoot w/terry funk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

everything is scripted in wrestling today, ffs remember the tna impact script that leaked, word for word scripted,its a tv show produced by tv writers, whats the point of employing hollywood writers if you let your top stars say whatever they want?? even the commentators have got to stick to set scripts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

rossie1977 wrote: »
    everything is scripted in wrestling today, ffs remember the tna impact script that leaked, word for word scripted,its a tv show produced by tv writers, whats the point of employing hollywood writers if you let your top stars say whatever they want?? even the commentators have got to stick to set scripts

hahaha

he over acting out of DW

rossie1977 wrote: »

Talk about missing the point. I'm not saying they are working without a script or writing everything related to them. I said that SOME top stars play a large part in writing their promos (and some have input in their angles too). That is a million miles from what you are suggesting I said. I did not say they work without the creative staff.

I am saying that several reputable sources have said that the top stars (not everybody, just the top stars) have a large input in promos and many are known to write drafts of their promos with various degrees of help from writers. These drafts will be screened and polished by writers. Writers will have control of the angles, but top stars would have some sway here were they so inclined.

So less of the FFS and more reading what I'm actually saying! Nobody said top stars are let say what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well The Rock says he'll be at Raw the Monday before Mania, so no Rock next week either it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

So I think we can assume Snooki is a lock for the wwe hall of fame in the future :rolleyes:

James Dudley will roll over in his grave

• Advertisement

Deleted post, meant it for the Finally...The Rock thread.

Advertisement