Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person of Interest [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

Trilla wrote: »
    Anyways great episode. I thought Lino (spelling) was going to be sacrificed at some point

taa_linoleum-flooring.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

taa_linoleum-flooring.jpg

I thought Fusco was a goner as well but he's good foil for Reese and with Sarah having twins it kind of had to be her even though I'm still heartbroken! Yes she's stunningly beautiful but she's also a kick ass character who can also act unlike many many female characters in other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Minor plot hole

The last scene with the bomb guy on the train,
    how did the dude beside him know Shaw had a gun?
    She never took her gun out that time and he told he to shoot him!

Or did I miss something?

I didn't even notice e that on. That's another one to add to the collection of plot holes in that episode.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

really? He asked Shaw was she mad and to "Just shoot him"

Oh I agree - it stood out to me too. Just playing devils advocate. As plot holes go, it's a relatively minor one. I still think that POI has one exceptional episode in each season, and we've just seen season four's.

So what will the focus be on for the 2nd half of the season.

Elias and Dominic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That was so much fun. I was really hoping it'd Finch or Reese though. The "Queens" on the board.
    Minor plot hole

The last scene with the bomb guy on the train,
    how did the dude beside him know Shaw had a gun?
    She never took her gun out that time and he told he to shoot him!

Or did I miss something?

It's not a plot hole at all. It's obvious that they jumped time in the final 'real-time' scenario at several instances. Entering the computer code for one. Having replayed the same scenario similarities several times over it'd be repetitive if they repeated everything ad nauseum. So for that last loop, compare it to the first and second -there's a tonne of "plot holes". There's so much stuff skipped out. You can't really fault the production for doing that.

As for 22 Episode arc, this show works with 22 episodes because the dialog is incredibly wooden. When the show was case of the week esque the characters had so much pointless exposition explaining motives and what the bad was about to do. That wouldn't work in a 13 episode show that was meant to reinforce plot and characters developments. It works in POI because it's a very watchable show and then it has enjoyable story arcs to it. It could possibly function as a 13 episode show but given the standards in dialogue, exposition and plotting it's not necessary. The show's formula is perfect for producing 20+ episodes with some degree of consistency. Every episode is mostly a singular entity.

What would be fascinating is if they did a miniseries based on the concept where one single "case"/number lasted 10 or 11 episodes. And we just watched the entire process unfold. It'd be way way harder to write but I'd love to see it done sometime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Turtwig wrote: »
    That was so much fun. I was really hoping it'd Finch or Reese though. The "Queens" on the board.

It's not a plot hole at all. It's obvious that they jumped time in the final 'real-time' scenario at several instances. Entering the computer code for one. Having replayed the same scenario similarities several times over it'd be repetitive if they repeated everything ad nauseum. So for that last loop, compare it to the first and second -there's a tonne of "plot holes". There's so much stuff skipped out. You can't really fault the production for doing that.

It is a plothole, you are describing something completely different. What you are describing is that they left out some of the details because the viewer had already seen them do it in previous loops and they didnt need it shown again and repeat every process to know how they did something as its a common element to most loops e.g adding the code. The point the OP is referring to is on the train and the passenger says to Shaw just shoot the guy already, referring to the bomber. The point is how does he know Shaw has a gun, he doesnt and shouldnt as in any of the loops she only produces her gun at the end when she does shoot the bomber.

Every scenario where shaw drew her gun in the carriage resulted with her arrest and failure to get the code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Axwell wrote: »
    It is a plothole, you are describing something completely different. What you are describing is that they left out some of the details because the viewer had already seen them do it in previous loops and they didnt need it shown again and repeat every process to know how they did something as its a common element to most loops e.g adding the code. The point the OP is referring to is on the train and the passenger says to Shaw just shoot the guy already, referring to the bomber. The point is how does he know Shaw has a gun, he doesnt and shouldnt as in any of the loops she only produces her gun at the end when she does shoot the bomber.
    It was the computers point of view, it went thru it many times. Every time she took took the gun out and it could be seen, the computer knew this so it skipped it. Time was running out and it needed to find a way to make sure most would survive, it makes perfect sense. No plot hole at all. Just watch it again and you will see.

Edit: it was like 12 before they would all die when the first scenario was computed, next.. Something like 9 Ect,

Every scenario where shaw drew her gun in the carriage resulted with her arrest and failure to get the code

Yes, and that is why the computer made the guy said.. Just shot him. It never worked out when she shot him, the computer saw this as a turning point, remember the chess game? It was not a plot hole . It was a game changing move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

deco nate wrote: »
    It was the computers point of view, it went thru it many times. Every time she took took the gun out and it could be seen, the computer knew this so it skipped it. Time was running out and it needed to find a way to make sure most would survive, it makes perfect sense. No plot hole at all. Just watch it again and you will see.

Edit: it was like 12 before they would all die when the first scenario was computed, next.. Something like 9 Ect,

Anytime she was successful in talking to the guy to get the bomb disarmed her gun didn't come out. Which was twice if I recall correctly.

Also, even if you're right it's obvious that this wasn't obvious! A good few of us disagree with you sure!

Explain to me deco nate how the guy knew she had a gun?

Anytime she was successful in talking to the guy to get the bomb disarmed her gun didn't come out. Which was twice if I recall correctly.

Also, even if you're right it's obvious that this wasn't obvious! A good few of us disagree with you sure!
    And that's OK, it's a tv show.
    People interpet it differently.
    No need for the "!"
    No need to get narky

Explain to me deco nate how the guy knew she had a gun?
    it was the computer running a simulation, it was not the real guy.

It was only once,every other time she failed to get the code.
    Only when she did not use her gun did she get the code. Like another poster said, anytime her gun was out people died. Ie the bomber, and all her friends. The only time she got the code was because she did not use the gun. The computer
    Saw the gun as a game changer, thus the bit with the guy saying just shot him.

It was only once,every other time she failed to get the code.
    Only when she did not use her gun did she get the code. Like another poster said, anytime her gun was out people died. Ie the bomber, and all her friends. The only time she got the code was because she did not use the gun. The computer
    Saw the gun as a game changer, thus the bit with the guy saying just shot him.

The bomb was disarmed twice

And that's OK, it's a tv show.
    People interpet it differently.
    No need for the "!"
    No need to get narky

An exclamation mark doesnt imply narkiness dude :-)

From tvline.com

Option 833,333 shows the most promise — was it Fusco’s lucky kiss? — in that Shaw deters the bomber and gets the code, while Root & Co. all go to the server room. (In this “simplified simulation,” everyone speaks in shorthand a la “Overt Come-On” versus specific dialogue, and it’s very funny.) Alas, even after saving the stock market and overriding the elevator, there’s only a 2.07% average survival rate.

That's once, then the actual ....

In the final, actual approach, Fusco doesn’t plant his kiss, Root saves the Degas that Finch is fond of, Shaw gets the code and the elevator cable is cut.

This is where there is no gun, and the guy asks for him to be shot

The bomb was disarmed twice
    Yes, by killing him the first time, it did not help get the code. The way she got the code was by talking. Not by the gun.
    She appealed to everyone on the train, the guy that hade the code lost everything too, and after her speech he wanted to help, the computer saw that the gun was the game changer.
    Just like a piece in a game of chess. It saw that was it. Like I said before, the parts were the machine was being taught about chess was the set up for the episode

Yes, by killing him the first time, it did not help get the code. The way she got the code was by talking. Not by the gun.
    She appealed to everyone on the train, the guy that hade the code lost everything too, and after her speech he wanted to help, the gun was the game changer.

Including the actual the bomb was disarmed by talking, no? See above

• Advertisement

Including the actual the bomb was disarmed by talking, no? See above

Jeezus, that was the machine
    Running through simulations.
    Post your own ideas on it, what is yours. And not stuff you read online.
    Maybe watch it again.

Jeezus, that was the machine
    Running through simulations.
    Post your own ideas on it, what is yours. And not stuff you read online.
    Maybe watch it again.

But I agree with what's online? What's wrong with that? That was my interpretation \ understanding of it prior to what I read online.I hope I'm wrong as I don't want Shaw dead. Simulations or not, the bomb was disarmed twice by her talking. That I'm clear of.

Also lol at the Jeezus :-)

But I agree with what's online? What's wrong with that? That was my interpretation \ understanding of it prior to what I read online.I hope I'm wrong as I don't want Shaw dead. Simulations or not, the bomb was disarmed twice by her talking. That I'm clear of.

Also lol at the Jeezus :-)
    The last part of the show was "real" all the rest when they got cornered was a simulation. As for shaw, I don't think she is dead. In TV world, if you don't see a head shot/them being blown to pieces then they are not dead. We saw her shot, what like 2/3 times. The lift doors closing as they close we see a gun pointed at her head, lift doors fully closed we hear one last gunshot. Shaw will be back.. Imo ;)

The bomb was only ever disarmed once. In that disarming clip the guy who says "shoot him!" in the simulations doesn't even speak. The entire thing is skipped to Shaw's poignant "Welcome to humanity" [or whatever it was].

If we're talking about a plot hole during the simulation where Fusco jokes this is a simulation and kiss Roots then I don't really know where to begin. The machine made lots of leaps there. It even had that brilliant moment where the dialogue was given in form of descriptions that worked incredibly well. :)

Turtwig wrote: »
    The bomb was only ever disarmed once. In that disarming clip the guy who says "shoot him!" in the simulations doesn't even speak. The entire thing is skipped to Shaw's poignant "Welcome to humanity" [or whatever it was].

If we're talking about a plot hole during the simulation where Fusco jokes this is a simulation and kiss Roots then I don't really know where to begin. The machine made lots of leaps there. It even had that brilliant moment where the dialogue was given in form of descriptions that worked incredibly well. :)

OK, so the last scene on the train, which is the real life, your saying the guy didn't speak?

The whole episode may not have happened!! ;)

The whole episode may not have happened!! ;)

Are these my feet?

OK, so the last scene on the train, which is the real life, your saying the guy didn't speak?

Yep.
    (Or they skipped it for brevity and viewer comfort.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Do you ever think that root may be working for Samaritan in the future?

Or that root will ditch the rest of Team Machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Root may have a falling out with the Machine now. She's not used to these feelings and the Machine isn't exactly able to offer comfort. She could start ignoring The Machine or want the Machine to help her find the Samaritan agents, which it won't do.

Advertisement