Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Person of Interest [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 07-03-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s21/desperate-housewives/news/a307539/bergl-reveals-three-housewives-endings.html
    James Caviezel has signed up to play the lead role in CBS drama pilot Person of Interest.
    According to New York Magazine, the Passion of the Christ star will star as former CIA agent Reese in the project from J.J. Abrams and Jonah Nolan.
    The potential series will follow Reese as he teams up with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes in New York City.
    Caviezel previously starred in AMC's remake of The Prisoner but is best known for his film roles, including appearances in The Count of Monte Cristo, G.I. Jane and The Thin Red Line.
    Former Lost star Michael Emerson previously signed up to play Reese's wealthy partner, while actress Taraji P. Henson will appear in the pilot as a detective named Carter.

Hopefully it gets a pick up, it sounds similar to The Philanthropist / The Equalizer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,326 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looking forward to this, looks awesome.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Looks like it has potential. Prefer the premise to that of Alcatraz to be honest.

Basically Jesus teaming up with Ben Linus = Awesomeness. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

New extended trailer, while the pilot looks very good/interesting i don't think it would hold my interest over 22 episodes, unless they have a bigger overall arc/serialised approach, mission-of-the-week would wear thin

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/person-of-interest-extended-preview.html

New extended trailer, while the pilot looks very good/interesting i don't think it would hold my interest over 22 episodes, unless they have a bigger overall arc/serialised approach, mission-of-the-week would wear thin

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/person-of-interest-extended-preview.html

Good point. The premise would certainly perform well in a movie situation, be interesting to see how this series does. I suppose it's a case of wait and see. I've a feeling it will probably start off with a "mission-of-the-week" format to begin with but probably introduce a bigger story-arc (probably with its own "big bad") later on. As you say it'll need it to maintain interest.

• Advertisement

Kicks off tonight, decided it's not for me though....do report your findings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Looking forward to it.

Jonathan Nolan, JJ Abrams, Ben from Lost and Jesus.

What else does a show need. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I thought it was decent enough, it has promise. It all really depends on how it develops, do we get a greater insight into the characters. Plus it needs a central story instead of focusing on a different story each week.

I watched it as well, it wasn't bad...in fact i'd be fair and say it was pretty good. A strong pilot, the acting is adequate, not superb but above average. Did anyone get any The Equaliser vibes from it?

The machine?....just a supercomputer then, i thought it might be some Fringe-y type machine. There was nothing truely unique or new here, it's a recipy for save-of-the-week. Is there more?....an overall arc?, more to the machine?, if not....how is it different?

My probelm was after watching it was it wasn't unique enough for me to tune in next week, take out the machine and it's a crime prodeadural, vigalante saving folks ergo The Equaliser.

I'm sure it would and will appeal to folks but for me i needed it to be more for me to give over time in my jam packed schedule, i've TOO much else to watch to give it a weekly slot.

3/5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looks a little bland from the promo above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I enjoyed it, wasn't amazing but I'll tune in. I thought it was a bit formulaic but it's a pilot and they need to get people interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Was good enough, will catch a few others, see how it pans out...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Judging from the lead character this should be called Person of NO interest.

Really disappointing stuff and I turned it off before the end. From what I had read I expected a much different show. It was hammy and downright awful in places with a lead actor in Caviezel who lacked any personality. The setup and general story just seemed silly and rushed. I have watched worse pilots but with the people involved I expected greatness which this certainly wasn't.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yep, found this quite boring - it very much follows the CBS "procedural" formula. So is the main "twist" each week going to be finding out if the person of interest is the bad guy or the victim? Not really bothered by that... I'd only keep watching if this goes somewhere and there's more of an arc/mythology to it all but can't see anything like that right now. Still, will give it a couple more episodes to see how it all pans out.

Just watched the first episode and quite enjoyed. It's not big nor us it clever but it's good old fashioned fun with an interesting premise and some good acting. The biggest problem with episode one is that it all felt very rushed, got the impression it was intended to be feature length but cut down to a single stand alone episode.

There's a definite Equalizer feel to it which is no bad thing. Be nice to have a weekly procedural which will have some sort of overall story arc but not get bogged down in it. Much like Criminal Minds I get the feeling that after a few seasons (if it lasts) it could become very tiresom and cliched but that said it's one of the news shows that I'm going to look forward to every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just watched the first 2 episodes, must say ive been pulled in, its just another procedural, but with a different twist,

i like how we dont know if the person of interest is a target or the one doing the trageting,

reminds me a bit of white collar, with reese ad finch dancing around each other, finch seems fairly informed but id say theres still a few things he doesnt know about resse that will get in the way in later episodes, itll be weird not seeing michael emerson constantly looking like he got the sh1t kicked out of him :D

also nice to see it ratained more or less its entire pilot ratings, and it being on CBS we should look forward to seeing ben a lot more over the next few years:D,

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched the first episode and thought it was terrible..

.. will see if it picks up and how ratings are before I watch anymore.

I think the problem with the show is Nolan. He's nowhere near as good a writer as people will have you believe. Bar Memento and POI all his work has been either adapting existing material or doing rewrites. His rewrite of Terminator Salvation ruined the film, by placing the emphasis on John Connor he took a great little script and made it a run of the mill summer blockbuster. Even Memento is little more than an interesting gimmick, anyone who has watched the chronological version of it will know that it's a rather mundane and run of the mill thriller without the fractured narrative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is anyone else watching Person Of Interest?
    Watched two episodes now.
    Crikey! Its like the "Equaliser" of years ago but younger and on speed with martial arts skills! :pac:
    Add in a ton of secrets for the two principles involved and one good cop/bad cop, its definitely interesting!

I hope the heavens its lasts the pace and don't get the boot by the networks.
    I'm enjoying it so far and is better than some new rubbish (Charlies Angels for a start).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I wasnt mad about the first two EPs tbh but did enjoy them.
    I think I was initially let down because as soon as I heard JJs attached I think serial mystery tv show aka lost / cloverfield but in fairness that was only a couple of projects he did that made a name for himself and I was expecting more of the same. Thinking about star trek or super 8 they werent serial mysteries but were competent also so maybe people just initially expect a particular niche from JJ based on Losts appeal.

Too add, I'm kinda glad he's trying things that branch away from the who mystery route cause that'd get old fast.
    Thought the show itself was pretty slick , kind of eagle eye meets bourne in NY. I reckon jim caviezel can now be take the -TVs hardest - title away from jack bauer at this point, that guy is as tough as nails and really worked it well. Side note - awesome suits too. :D

Looking forward to the next ep and maybe expanding the story / universe a bit. Plenty of room to explore also eg maybe involve the government finding out, th emachine starting to learn to predict differently or the oh so inevitable ... predicting one of the leads numbers coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Anyone manage to catch ep3?

Still in two minds about the show tbh, the scenes seem a bit predictible 15 mins in advance of each one.
    Looks like they are trying for an overarching story too what with the persn who killed the bank robbers commander "being looked into". Was nice to see some charecter development also with the whole "wait for me... please", genuinely tugged at the heart strings. intrested to see more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm really getting into this. some really intriguing snippets of some overarching backstory about the numbers that come up, how they relate too.

Was that the Observer from Fringe as
    a Eastern European mob boss?

Have seen up to episode 5, I have to say I'm looking forward to the next episode every week now.
    Loving it.
    Definitely Jack Bauer has a bit of a new character barking at his heels as the next new tough guy.
    I hope to heaven this show is not cancelled! (Anyone any news on the viewing numbers?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Biggins wrote: »
    Have seen up to episode 5, I have to say I'm looking forward to the next episode every week now.
    Loving it.
    Definitely Jack Bauer has a bit of a new character barking at his heels as the next new tough guy.
    I hope to heaven this show is not cancelled! (Anyone any news on the viewing numbers?)
    Looks like it could be getting a full season pick up.
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/20/report-person-of-interest-and-unforgettable-close-to-full-season-pickups/108007/

Really looking forward to each episode as they come out. Some nice fight/action scenes. I've never seen jesus fight that good. :pac:

Looks like it could be getting a full season pick up.
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/20/report-person-of-interest-and-unforgettable-close-to-full-season-pickups/108007/

Really looking forward to each episode as they come out. Some nice fight/action scenes. I've never seen jesus fight that good. :pac:
    Cheers for that info.

Aye, the fight scenes are really well done - as in the fifth episode alone.
    I think given time (which is THEE problem with American viewing audience as network directors see it!) if its given a chance, there is room for great growing interest as the show inevitably will grow on people.

It can turn out to be another "Firefly" kind of series.
    Quietly build up an ever increasing following - but at least this time, with no cancellation before the networks pulls the plug too early!

Any word of this being picked up by an Irish or UK channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its good but its a bit dull, never in a hurry to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Biggins wrote: »
    Loving it.

lol no

• Advertisement

lol no

Well there is a hell of a gap between one and the other (new series over one of eight years alone) in a lot of ways - but the potential is there given the chance! :D

Advertisement