Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some videos I took recently...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I got an SVC200 cam for the bike. I thought it might be fun to try it out on the birds feeding in the garden. As it's very wide angle I set up just 24 cm from the fat ball and here is the result;

http://youtu.be/e3txv8ybhBE

The cage is to keep the larger birds at bay.

Moved to the Videos thread!

Nice to get a close up look at the birds on the feeders like that - would be particularly handy for me trying to count all of the sparrows currently using the garden for the Birdwatch Ireland garden bird survey! :D

Worth mentioning that Birdwatch Ireland and other similar groups recommend you take the netting off the fatballs because small birds can get their feet and tongues caught in them and cut off as a result! Best to put them in a feeder, or I'm sure you could just leave it down on something since yours is protected by that netting/cage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Moved to the Videos thread!

Worth mentioning that Birdwatch Ireland and other similar groups recommend you take the netting off the fatballs because small birds can get their feet and tongues caught in them and cut off as a result! Best to put them in a feeder, or I'm sure you could just leave it down on something since yours is protected by that netting/cage!

Ok, I'll do that. We have crows and jackdaws around here who are particularly adept at removing the fat ball bags from the cage, hence the key holder device. I'll have to find another way to fix the fat ball in position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Akhenaten

I got an SVC200 cam for the bike. I thought it might be fun to try it out on the birds feeding in the garden. As it's very wide angle I set up just 24 cm from the fat ball and here is the result;

http://youtu.be/e3txv8ybhBE

The cage is to keep the larger birds at bay.

Great video - well done!

It'll be interesting to see what other visitors you have to the feeder,so keep sending them in if you can.

Akhenaten wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what other visitors you have to the feeder,so keep sending them in if you can.

Seems to be the same old crew every day, great tit, blue tit and a bunch of sparrows who nest under the eaves. At 8Gb per minute my hard drive will be maxed out soon. More footage added below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI7jf2ELPxY

I posted another clip: Mayhem on the Feeder
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRZ3sk5GJD4&feature=youtu.be
    but I'm not seeing the same fantastic quality on YouTube that I get when running the clip on Windows Media Player. Does anybody know why?

• Advertisement

Two more videos from the feeder:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRbWV9jsHtY

and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sUFXnGZmG4

I have also started making my own fatballs to get over the netting problem(see above). The prototype got hung out just before sunset so I should get some pics tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

I posted another clip: Mayhem on the Feeder
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRZ3sk5GJD4&feature=youtu.be
    but I'm not seeing the same fantastic quality on YouTube that I get when running the clip on Windows Media Player. Does anybody know why?

not sure of the specifics but youtube would significantly reduce the size of the video file which would mean the quality would take a huge hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Taken today of otter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

• Registered Users Posts: 30 42inchchest

Eagle V Gull.
    Two eagles, one flies off, the other chases a gull.
    th_eagleVgull_zps7734690d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Heres some frogs I saw in Bailieberough, cavan.
    The noise was great, about half way trough there is what must be a female gone red, possibly from exhaustion from being singled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

fletch... wrote: »
    Heres some frogs I saw in Bailieberough, cavan.
    The noise was great, about half way trough there is what must be a female gone red, possibly from exhaustion from being singled out

Great piece of film there ! Seen a similar performance yesterday in a local pond ! Some of the frogs were reddish in colour and also a few dead on the margins of the pond ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Seefin Peak 424m(in/and Gortroche forest), East Nagles mountains, County Cork , Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

A Snipe seemingly taking aim at me - the wide angle of the lens doesn't do it justice!

There were 5 or 6 of them up together, with probably all of them drumming at one stage or another. I've only ever seen 1 up at a time before.

http://youtu.be/1woRN2BJJ7E

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

plenty of cuckoos about the Rosses area now.Shortly after I filmed this one it was joined by another and they flew about together for a few minutes before landing nearby.

heard an unknown bird calling--spied him in the tree and caught him at it
    :)

at the time I thought it was a bullfinch--pair of them in fact but not sure now.Maybe reed buntings? Stonechat? longer vid uploading

taken along the Burtonport old railway walk so they would be used to quite a bit of foot traffic-not happy with me though

I'm going with stonechat for the moment til wiser heads prevail

must be stonechats--all that red chest area threw me I think

• Advertisement

They're male stonechats !!! Beautiful colours and very distinctive scratchy voice and tail flicking behaviour diagnostic also !

...and finally.Pretty sure it's a willow warbler?

They're male stonechats !!! Beautiful colours and very distinctive scratchy voice and tail flicking behaviour diagnostic also !

thanks Woodville---my first stonechats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

...and finally.Pretty sure it's a willow warbler?

Can't view the video, but the bird on the static pic is a Sedge Warbler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

It's a sedge warbler indeed, no mistaking that song and there is one singing in the back hedge here at the moment :) not much water about just a piece of bog behind the hedge and no reeds for nesting in...

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    It's a sedge warbler indeed,not much water about just a piece of bog behind the hedge and no reeds for nesting in...

Same experience here, had one singing away all night in a garden hedge, even heard them in woodland scrub, they don't seem restricted to wet/sedgy habitats !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Years ago I came across a pair nesting in a large patch of nettles miles from the nearest reedbeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

oh8or7.jpg
    Great reed warbler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Saw this red squirrel in a local forestry this morning, have never seen one so close up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Years ago I came across a pair nesting in a large patch of nettles miles from the nearest reedbeds.

There you go, I'm just programmed from a previous life in another place where there were lots of ponds and wall to wall reed beds and I always associate a singing sedge warbler with summer and that place and time. :cool:

Advertisement