Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otter in The Lee

Options
  • 11-01-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted an otter in the North channel this morning.
    I reckon that's s good sign of water quality.

Video here.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I've seen one over by Lapps Quay a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

that's dave, cool guy, we chill every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Doge

Video here.

I reckon you should swim in it and see if you're right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Great video, otters are fab to see in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

It's lovely! Being a city girl, it's not often I get to see this up close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

There's one seen very often on the south channel near the Holy Trinity church. It makes me smile when I see it. Cool video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Video here.

I've seen otters in the past few years and yes, it's a very good sign for the environment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

waveform wrote: »
    I reckon you should swim in it and see if you're right!

People swim in the Lee annually for the Lee Swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah I reckon the water quality is improved a lot in the last 20 years, have seen all sorts of wildlife in there the last few years, its defo a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There are seals quite often in the water as well, they sit on the steps occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Brown trout are a good indicator of water quality and the Lee is full of them. I watched a seal eat a salmon one morning by the bus station too and very few people noticed him. Its full of wildlife if people took a moment to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'll see your seal and raise you a killer whale....
    I can't find any photos online though. It was June 2001 apparently

Nice otter btw.

Yeah I reckon the water quality is improved a lot in the last 20 years, have seen all sorts of wildlife in there the last few years, its defo a good sign.

Just since the main drainage works. I think that finished in 2005 or so and the river has been getting steadily cleaner since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The water quality in the Lee's currently better than it has probably been in hundreds of years! A lot of wildlife that's never been in the city centre will gradually appear further upstream.

You have to remember that until the main drainage project was complete, Cork City and many other developments flushed a very large % of its sewage directly into the Lee and Cork Harbour!

The Liffey was similar and I think it actually got so bad in both cities that it basically killed human activity along the river fronts too. I mean, you couldn't have had the Bordwalk cafes in Cork 20 years ago, you'd have been unable to keep your coffee + sandwich down with the stench of the water!

So, hopefully our river frontages in Cork and in Dublin too become more populated both with animals and human life too!

Cork's sewage has only been properly treated since 2004. So, barely 10 years of clean water running through the city centre channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

People swim in the Lee annually for the Lee Swim.

They're just going through the motions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I wonder how long it will be before the river is fully clean?

800+ years of 'motions' would take a while to wash away. The silt must be full of all sorts of gunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Knasher wrote: »
    There are seals quite often in the water as well, they sit on the steps occasionally.

Yeah, there's one (I'm assuming it's the same one) swimming by the bus station very regularly. Sometimes you see it playing with a fish.

As said above, there's also been a couple of killer whales, and a pod of dolphins/porpoises by the South Gate bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Great video. I saw one at South Gate opposite Beamish a few years back.
    This nature study on Cork CIty says they are fairly common in the city centre which is rare for most cities.

http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/County_Heritage_Services/Cork/Nature_in_the_City-Cork/Nature_in_the_City_1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Love the video, I have lost a long time watching them. Have one here on waterford that seems to not care about the humans that much. Saw it twice in a space of a few days. One day it decided to annoy a cormorant on the pole the 2nd time it went fishing then came in onto the bank about 50 yards away and ate some fish before going off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

I saw a Grey Seal about 6 foot long today climbing the weir just below the Kingsley Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I walk there the whole time and have never seen anything fun like that. Must keep trying...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Made contact on the Monday with the seal expert in UCC and she said there is one in the Lee but it was her first time hearing that it climbed the weir.

I've often seen seals in the Lee but never much upstream of the Mercy.

Advertisement