Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some videos I took recently...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm so happy I found this thread. I have hundreds of photos of wild flowers. I take them when I'm out for a walk, and I've always been fascinated by them. I use them as a data base for lace making. Can any one recommend a decent camera? I use my camcorder if I have i on me or else my smartphone,a moto g. In the meanwhile, here's a video I are of my daily walk a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Baby bluetit and mum. www.youtube.com/watch?v=22dXI3sRUkQ

could someone imbed please I cant get it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm wondering, apart from the obvious (birds feeding) whats going on here?.

Is this a mother & father with the mother feeding the babies, or is the guy with the black chest/neck a different breed waiting its turn at eat something?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Female house sparrow feeding young with male standing by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Female house sparrow feeding young with male standing by.

Thats what my beautiful OH said, and I stupidly doubted her ~ she'll be delighted I was wrong to doubt her now lol :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

Okay so I'm brand new to the forum so go easy on me ;) :P

My garden is just full to the brim with all different kinds of birds. There isn't a lot of other wildlife in the garden so I wonder sometimes do the birds kind of put other species off, like they think there won't be enough food for everybody?
    I don't have any fancy equipment or camera or anything like that but I so wish I could show you everything I've seen with my eyes.

Anyway, I took this video yesterday on my phone, I don't have a fancy camera.
    I think the bright green bird is a Siskin and the other bird is a Greenfinch/Wren/Dunnock (I think he's one of those birds that looks like a lot of birds).
    Could someone confirm excatly what bird he is?
    You can get a very clear view of him when he lands on top of the bird feeding station at around 13 seconds.
    There are a lot of these birds in the garden and they spend a lot of time fighting over food. The other birds don't really fight as much but it's very much so Siskin vs whatever the other bird is, in my garden. They fight a lot around that particular feeding station for some reason.
    At around 31 seconds it looks like the Siskin shouts at the other bird to FECK OFF! :pac:
    Bonus Coal Tit (I think) hanging off the seed feeder just trying to stay out of everybody's business :pac:

(Any strange noises in the background are either my dogs or me talking to my dogs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

From the distance you have filmed YurOK, it is very difficult to see not just what birds you have but how many as well.

The bright green one does look like a siskin from this distance and are certainly the most combatant and grumpy when it comes to hogging the peanut feeders. The siskin on mine have only recently returned from rearing their young and will have a go at bigger birds such as greenfinches, the usual dominant bird on feeders.

It looks like a great tit on the lower feeder at 22 secs, although it could be a coal tit. I doubt you have a Dunnock on the feeder as it is usually foraging on the ground underneath. A wren is a more solitary feeder and likes sticking to the trees and bushes.

Much of the other wildlife in your garden is hidden away until dusk/dawn and during the night. The usual visiting birds will not frighten away anything else... leave that to a sparrowhawk!

Like me you clearly enjoy watching the feeders.

TT

TopTec wrote: »
    From the distance you have filmed YurOK, it is very difficult to see not just what birds you have but how many as well.

The bright green one does look like a siskin from this distance and are certainly the most combatant and grumpy when it comes to hogging the peanut feeders. The siskin on mine have only recently returned from rearing their young and will have a go at bigger birds such as greenfinches, the usual dominant bird on feeders.

It looks like a great tit on the lower feeder at 22 secs, although it could be a coal tit. I doubt you have a Dunnock on the feeder as it is usually foraging on the ground underneath. A wren is a more solitary feeder and likes sticking to the trees and bushes.

Much of the other wildlife in your garden is hidden away until dusk/dawn and during the night. The usual visiting birds will not frighten away anything else... leave that to a sparrowhawk!

Like me you clearly enjoy watching the feeders.

TT

Sorry the quality isn't great. It looks great on my phone of course but once you stick it on a bigger screen it's quite difficult to see:mad:
    Here's my photobucket link just in case it's easier to see:
    th_20150702_091726_zpsk8bxqtwj.mp4

Here's a photo of the bird on top of the feeder. Not great quality but clearer than the video I hope. What do you think?
    20150702_095116_zps8p3v6nsx.jpg

Yeah, the Siskins seem really ballsy and seem to pick fights a lot but I see them fighting most with whatever the other bird is for some reason. Natural enemies? I think the other bird is a Greenfinch judging on pictures I've seen online.

I thought the other fella was a Coal Tit as I couldn't see much yellow on him, more of a creamy colour on the breast but again, I know the video isn't great so it's hard to decipher exact detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't make out the video but the still is a Greenfinch

• Advertisement

I can't make out the video but the still is a Greenfinch

Yeah, I thought so. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

This is nestcam footage, taken under NPWS license, of adult Terns feeding a chick - anyone care to point out whats unusual about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

This is nestcam footage, taken under NPWS license, of adult Terns feeding a chick - anyone care to point out whats unusual about it?

wild guess- two males?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

keps wrote: »
    wild guess- two males?

Nope! Or at least I don't think they're two males......

The parents are Common Terns but the chick they're feeding is a Roseate Tern chick! They've been looking after it since it was an egg, so presumably something happened their own egg and their parental instincts drew them towards whatever the nearest egg was to look after!

Despite there being 700 nestboxes out here, and 2000 pairs of Common Terns, they never choose to nest in a box, so this is particularly unusual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

The footage below was shot last Thursday afternoon on the Curragh, Co.Kildare.
    It shows the arrival of a large flock of Golden Plover. I think the good news is that the flock size appears to be larger than it was this time last year.

I was driving through the Curragh last year when I spotted what I thought was a Starling murmuration, but was in fact the flock of Golden Plover. If I get footage of a similar occurrence, I'll definitely post it here.

I'm certainly not a Steven Spielberg in the making, so please excuse the quality of the footage.

Earlier this evening I spotted a freshly killed pigeon in a field, so decided to secrete myself away into a hedgerow to see if anything would arrive to feast upon it, and sure enough something did. I got twenty minutes of amazing footage of a female Sparrowhawk plucking the feathers before tucking in. It's a wee bit out of focus, and please excuse the shakiness in the camera on several occasions - I was being eaten alive by midges! :mad:

Out of season I know, but was going through some GoPro footage from Rockabill yesterday. This clip shows an adult Common Tern coming back with two sprats - unfortunately one of the chicks misses out!

Those who visit the 'Some photos I took recently' thread may have seen many of the images in the montage below already. All but one image was taken in the Kildare countryside over the past two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

Bonedigger wrote: »
    Those who visit the 'Some photos I took recently' thread may have seen many of the images in the montage below already. All but one image was taken in the Kildare countryside over the past two years.

Very well done Bonedigger , absolutely excellent images and superbly put together in the montage . An inspiration to all wildlife photographers....

Very well done Bonedigger , absolutely excellent images and superbly put together in the montage . An inspiration to all wildlife photographers....

Thanks very much Nightforce!
    It was something I had been meaning to try for a while now, but wasn't quite sure how to go about it; I spent most of yesterday putting it together, with a few hiccups in between, but was happy with the way it turned out in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

@bonedigger

Wow - that's a stunning montage.
    Thanks for sharing it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

@bonedigger

Lovely! What's the piece of music?

keps wrote: »
    @bonedigger

Wow - that's a stunning montage.
    Thanks for sharing it:)

Thanks keps!
    You created something similar many months back, and I remember saying at the time that I must give it a go myself one day.:)

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    @bonedigger

Lovely! What's the piece of music?

Thanks Zoo4m8!
    The music is Pachelbel's Canon - it's a real classic. It's one of my favourite pieces of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

A trial video I shot yesterday...

https://youtu.be/g9etzsYF_WY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Two quick videos of the Starlings at Kilbeggan, just to give an idea of the numbers there. Definitely worth visiting if you are anywhere nearby. Videos are best viewed larger/HD on YouTube itself.

https://youtu.be/SgPssx0TLIs

https://youtu.be/ZWY36kxZo04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

No pics, but a short video for you bird lovers.

I took this one last summer. Feisty little feller here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Today in Shanganagh cliffs

https://youtu.be/1YTGgWQPnXk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

• Advertisement

A Roseate Tern adult and a Common Tern chick! Video taken under NPWS license on Rockabill Island. Even more confusing was the second egg hatching to reveal a Roseate Tern chick!

Advertisement