Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

bazz26 wrote: »
    Make sure your mechanic has a good poke around underneath it. Fiestas of that vintage were very prone to rust, that plus salt on the roads in the UK could mean it's a rotter.

Bazz I may be asking a really thick question but are Irish reg cars doused in salt to the same extent?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We have generally only being using salt on our roads in the last few years and not as frequently as some parts of the UK. Not saying every UK car is rotting in rust (I'm driving a UK import myself) but some cars are well known for having rust problems and having salt on the roads can make them more prone to rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Go to the dealer and get a price for a trade in. Don't talk your car down, just get a price. You may be surprised or shocked, either way you can decide what to do once you have the trade in value.

Took your advice and went to the dealer and have been offered a good price for my own which I'm delighted with.

I'm between that car now and another 207. It's the same year, 1.4 diesel as opposed to petrol but has a higher mileage of 110,000 miles.

Everyone keeps telling me that higher mileage doesn't matter on a diesel. What do you think?

Also, it's a NI import but the VRT will be paid by the garage. I've been told the same as what a lot of others on here have echoed about the salt on the roads and potential for rust. Is there any area in particular I should inspect for rust when I go see the car this evening?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Hi Guys

Couple of questions. I have a 2001 1.25 fiesta Flight that I would be interested in selling . Only 63K on the clock – Genuine low milage.
    Car is in great nick – What would the market value be – It seems to vary a lot on Done Deal – I was thinking around the 1300/1400 mark?

Also I would like to upgrade – Would have around 10 k total to spend .
    Any ideas – I was looking at cars that would have the cheap tax (2008 +) and wouldn’t kill me on insurance but a good fun car.
    I was looking at BMW 1 series / 3 Series, Vw Passat ( CC out of my price range I think) , Honda accord, Audi A4

Any recommendations or ones to steer clear of?

Does your Fiesta have an NCT? With a decent NCT I would think it is worth about €1200 so start off by advertising it at €1600 and see how it goes. This allows you room for a price drop and haggling with a buyer.

€10k will get you a very good petrol Honda Accord, probably the most trouble free out of that bunch, motor tax would be similar on the petrol model whether it be on the old or cheap tax system. Alternatively a Honda Civic 1.8 litre is worth looking at too but really don't get too hung up on the cheap tax, cars with cheap tax tend to cost more to buy.

For example:

media?xwm=y&id=560d3059-2404-4e3b-aa98-8b3b1bae28af&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/2.0-VTEC/51614018070239900/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Took your advice and went to the dealer and have been offered a good price for my own which I'm delighted with.

I'm between that car now and another 207. It's the same year, 1.4 diesel as opposed to petrol but has a higher mileage of 110,000 miles.

Everyone keeps telling me that higher mileage doesn't matter on a diesel. What do you think?

Also, it's a NI import but the VRT will be paid by the garage. I've been told the same as what a lot of others on here have echoed about the salt on the roads and potential for rust. Is there any area in particular I should inspect for rust when I go see the car this evening?

Thanks!

What kind of driving do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

What kind of driving do you do?

I do about 40k a day and then extra at the weekend.

The diesel was a non runner anyway, back door was covered in rust and the car looked like it had been crashed.

I thought buying a new car would be fun but it's proving very stressful!

It can be but take you're time, don't buy anything for the sake of it.

At 40k a day a little 1.4 diesel Peugeot might not be a bad option at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/7143194
    2005 renault laguna diesel
    Anyone know why this is so cheap?? Are they bad cars?

That model Laguna in general has a terrible reputation around reliability, mileage that is higher than your average buyer wants means it's hardly a desirable car. In saying that I don't think the asking price is in any way a bargain, it's about right for what it is imo.

• Advertisement

Was thinking the same as Bazz26, that's no "bargain".

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HappieChappie

Maybe mods could add link but on the garda website there is a big thing cars being bought with bogey bank drafts and then sold on for cash. I was reading in the local paper there were four done in Cork over the weekend. Be very wary with private sales at the moment, still better value than a lot dealers but you have to be using the head.

Can anyone tell me what PD stands for as in I'm looking at a Vw passat 2002 and it's 1.9TDi PD SE

PD standing for Pumpe-D�se which, loosely translated from the German, means Unit Injector.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/volkswagen/passat/road-test/1.9-tdi

Thanks so it can only be a good thing. Almost about to seal the deal for this car hopefully. 2002 1.9tdi se 130bhp 130000 miles. Hopefully it passes my mechanics inspection tomorrow but have already checked out the cars history from contactin previous owners so I'm in high hopes :-)

It's just VW speak for their diesel fuel injection system at the time when every other manufacturer was moving to common rail diesel injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sebanwo

HI guys Can I sell car which I bought 2 months ago? is there any period before resell car? Sorry but i was looking everywhere and cant find it and heard that can do only after 3 months

Should be no problem to sell it. The only reason you could not sell it for a certain period of time is if you imported the car from another country where you were resident and qualified for VRT exemption.

You can sell it a day after you bought it as long as you have the logbook and didn't avail of free vrt as per Bazz26s post.

Though you might want a reason to give perspective buyers. I see a car being sold after 2 months it does seem very suspicious. I'd be worried you found something seriously wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

http://www.tynanautos.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1077670&r=

Anyone dealt with Tynan autos before? Or spot anything that should make me wary of this? Bar the usual DPF and making sure theres a properly documented service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think they've only been mentioned here before

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88884705

There is a user here (niman) selling a 2010 black focus like that with half the mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That would have more gadgets than mine to be fair, but I do have genuine mileage currently at 53500.

Can anyone please recommend who they think would be the Best insurance company for first insurance under own name on provisional license? Also the car is an 02 and worry little more that 2k so am I better going fully comprehensive or third party?

Thank you

There is no one best insurance company for everyone. Insurance companies take the individual's personal circumstances into account when they calculate a premium. Things like age, marital status, address, car you are insuring, etc are all factors so there is no correct/incorrect answer to your question. My insurance company is cheap for me but could be expensive for you.

I'm afraid there really is no short cut, you will need to start doing some online quotes and/or start ringing around insurance companies/brokers for prices.

Thank you and what type of cover would you recommend?

On a €2k car I'd probably go with Third Party due to the low value but the best thing to do is get a quote for both Third Party and Fully Comprehensive, if there is not a lot in the difference then I would go with the better cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

A very noob question, when leaving a deposit on a car worth 9-10k, how much would generally be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

stuba wrote: »
    A very noob question, when leaving a deposit on a car worth 9-10k, how much would generally be accepted?

I'd usually suggest either €500 or a round number close to 10%.
    On my 535d which cost me 11k I left a 1k deposit, for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

stuba wrote: »

Garage €500, private €100

Advertisement