Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.6 TDi is sluggish in the Passat, given that motor tax is emissions based why not look at the 2.0 TDi instead?

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/2.0-TDI/43413941218858790/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,923 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bazz26 wrote: »
    1.6 TDi is sluggish in the Passat, given that motor tax is emissions based why not look at the 2.0 TDi instead?

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/2.0-TDI/43413941218858790/

The power is not the main thing for me. Up to 100/120 and I'm happy. I just want something comfortable and spacious.
    Saying that the car you linked seems to be the same spec as the one I drove with a bigger engine for less money so really should go for that.
    Do you know anything about that garage ?

I'm trading up from a 2007 Mazda 3 so ideally want to come up a minimum of 3 years with a budget of 16000 before a trade in. If you would recommend anything else I'd appreciate it !!

Know nothing about the garage as it was just a quick example I took. Also it's not about top speed but rather acceleration especially when it comes to overtaking, the Passat is a heavy car and the 2.0 litre is much more suited to a car of that size and weight.

Alternatives:

media?xwm=y&id=271a46e7-1d2d-428a-8c41-7bed20ad4213&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/ZETEC-2.0/38313926473249160/

media?xwm=y&id=ffe0a758-badc-4931-8c91-5519cb3b45eb&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/2.0-D/60514050892763350/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,923 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Know nothing about the garage as it was just a quick example I took. Also it's not about top speed but rather acceleration especially when it comes to overtaking, the Passat is a heavy car and the 2.0 litre is much more suited to a car of that size and weight.

Alternatives:

media?xwm=y&id=271a46e7-1d2d-428a-8c41-7bed20ad4213&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/ZETEC-2.0/38313926473249160/

media?xwm=y&id=ffe0a758-badc-4931-8c91-5519cb3b45eb&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/2.0-D/60514050892763350/

Thanks Bazz, I'll look into those as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a little hatchback for relatively occasional use. Less than 5k per year. Right now I've pretty much narrowed down to either an 00/01 1.0 yaris or a same year 1.0 Ibiza.

My main needs are fuel efficiency and reliability. Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other? I'm a big fan of the yaris but it does seem to be a bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

The Yaris would be light years ahead of the Ibiza.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chewy356

Guys
    Looking or your thoughts on the following. Looked at a car and xtrying to decide to buy or not. Slights dings and new passenger door required but that does not bother me. The car wasdue service at 150k but has been driven 6km past this while owner waits to sell. Diesel engine with service interval is 30k km so onl over by less than 20%.

Run away or take a chance because service interval is defined based on worst case conditions for 30k km so 35k in Ireland will have no long term negative impact on the engine? Car is right price to take a small chance on.

Thanks for your views
    Chewy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

chewy356 wrote: »
    Guys
    Looking or your thoughts on the following. Looked at a car and xtrying to decide to buy or not. Slights dings and new passenger door required but that does not bother me. The car wasdue service at 150k but has been driven 6km past this while owner waits to sell. Diesel engine with service interval is 30k km so onl over by less than 20%.

Run away or take a chance because service interval is defined based on worst case conditions for 30k km so 35k in Ireland will have no long term negative impact on the engine? Car is right price to take a small chance on.

Thanks for your views
    Chewy

What's the rest of the service history like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chewy356

What's the rest of the service history like?

Main dealer till last service ( local stealers closed). Clutch done about 140k km. Now at 156k with service due at 150

• Registered Users Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Main dealer till last service ( local stealers closed). Clutch done about 140k km. Now at 156k with service due at 150
    If the SH is genuine, I wouldn't worry too much about the last service being 5K late. Just be sure to have it done soon. Check the oil level before you buy though.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too worried about it (Pity the dealer is closed). Just as long as you're not playing timing belt roulette on the way home you'll be fine. It's rare enough an Irish car would have a service history, never mind be serviced on schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Hello folks,

Looking at a 3 series online today.

2008 2L petrol.

65k miles

Does €9000 sound very cheap?

On a 6 year old 3 Series petrol it would be about right imo. Private or dealer?

On a 6 year old 3 Series petrol it would be about right imo. Private or dealer?

Private. Has warranty until end of August.

2008 BMW 3 Series 318 E90 I Edition SE 143BHP 4DR

It's advertised as a 2L??

One more thing. What site do you run a car reg history on?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Cartell.ie

Tilikum wrote: »
    Private. Has warranty until end of August.

2008 BMW 3 Series 318 E90 I Edition SE 143BHP 4DR

It's advertised as a 2L??

One more thing. What site do you run a car reg history on?

The E90 318i is 2.0 litre with 143bhp. 320i is also 2.0 litre but has 177bhp.

I found motorcheck.ie to be the most comprehensive. €35 for a full check but if you google "motorcheck discount code" you can get a code that will do it for €28.

The E90 318i is 2.0 litre with 143bhp. 320i is also 2.0 litre but has 177bhp.

I found motorcheck.ie to be the most comprehensive. €35 for a full check but if you google "motorcheck discount code" you can get a code that will do it for €28.

So if I bought the car, would I be as well as off as to bring it straight to the garage as it's under warranty? To see if anything need to bd done.

Sorry for the stupid questions, Bazz. I've never spent this much on a car.

Who is the warranty with, BMW, a used car dealer or third party company?

A warranty will not cover every problem, problems that arise as a result of the previous owner such as poor maintenance or abuse would not be covered. So you need to have the car properly checked by a mechanic or someone who knows their way around BMWs.

Also those late 2007 onward BMW petrol engines can suffer from coil pack and injector problems so it is imperative to have it checked over. It might be worth having a BMW dealer inspect it and plug it into their diagnostic computer to check for any fault codes and verify mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Hi , I'm looking for peoples opinions on the following if possible. I've been looking at a lot of Audi A4 2.0TDI (2008's) but for a similar price i can get a 2010 Avensis Diesel , a 2010/2011 Opel/Vauxhall Insignia Diesel or a 2009/2010 Passat . I'd love the Audi but if i am spending that kind of money would it be more sensible for me to get one of the other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Spending a premium on perceived value rarely sensible.
    If the A4 excites you, makes you feel better, you like the look of it etc then go for it.
    Its not the most exciting of cars but in all honesty I'd have one over an Avensis/Insignia

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Hoki wrote: »
    Hi , I'm looking for peoples opinions on the following if possible. I've been looking at a lot of Audi A4 2.0TDI (2008's) but for a similar price i can get a 2010 Avensis Diesel , a 2010/2011 Opel/Vauxhall Insignia Diesel or a 2009/2010 Passat . I'd love the Audi but if i am spending that kind of money would it be more sensible for me to get one of the other options?

Maybe compromise with a 2009 SEAT Exeo for 9,500 euro?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-exeo/7342472

I think the OP was talking about the B8 A4, the Exeo is basically a rebadged B7 which was launched 14 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Looking for a bit of advice, going to see a car and cartell says it was untaxed for 6 months on owner 2 and 12 months on owner 3. So that's a total of 18 months without tax. Nothing else flagged. Last changed hands in Dec 2012. It's a VW Polo, 2001.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the tax issue or anything to look out for?

Any chance of link? You could pm me if you like.

It's how long is a piece of string otherwise.

Is it a bad sign if a dealer is telling you a porky within his first sentence of meeting you!? He said that a car I viewed only came into him last week yet when I checked to see if it had changed hands in the last 3 months on the motortax website it said the ownership was transferred to that dealership at the start of June. There is also only a partial service history. Am I correct in thinking to leave this car be....?

Hoki wrote: »
    Is it a bad sign if a dealer is telling you a porky within his first sentence of meeting you!? He said that a car I viewed only came into him last week yet when I checked to see if it had changed hands in the last 3 months on the motortax website it said the ownership was transferred to that dealership at the start of June. There is also only a partial service history. Am I correct in thinking to leave this car be....?

It may have been bought from another dealer. All you know is that it was transferred to a dealership I assume.
    Depends on how good a deal it is relative to similar cars

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It may have been bought from another dealer. All you know is that it was transferred to a dealership I assume.
    Depends on how good a deal it is relative to similar cars

I suppose it could have come from another dealer alright, Il keep it in my thoughts anyway , cheers.

Any link to the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Any chance of link? You could pm me if you like.

It's how long is a piece of string otherwise.

PM sent, thanks

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any link to the car?

PM sent as well.

Advertisement