Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Thanks for the help lads. Left them with €400 and there was no qualms at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Hi. I've just bought my first car. The logbook has been sent away and I am waiting on it to be returned. For change of ownership. My questions are;

What is my next step after gettin it back?
    Do I have to go to the guards etc?

Can I insure it and tax it before I get it back?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

This thread is now in my interests. Buying my second car now and need all the advice I can get. Looking at a hatchback 1.4, Kia Ceed ex 2007-8 is what i've leaned toward, budget is in and around 6000-7000.

Can anyone advise on this car and mileage or alternatives? :) cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Mileage : Service history.

It's no good having a low mileage car with no history, and likewise a high mileage car.

Cee'ds seem to be the pick of the crop, if you got a 08/09 you would still have some warranty left, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

Mileage : Service history.

It's no good having a low mileage car with no history, and likewise a high mileage car.

Cee'ds seem to be the pick of the crop, if you got a 08/09 you would still have some warranty left, too!

Cheers, excellent OP by the way. Would you be concerned at the resell value over a certain mileage, might be heading abroad in the next 1-2 years? Just considering the smart option in regards to the resell in a few years as a factor.

• Advertisement

Oee wrote: »
    Cheers, excellent OP by the way. Would you be concerned at the resell value over a certain mileage, might be heading abroad in the next 1-2 years? Just considering the smart option in regards to the resell in a few years as a factor.

Buy cheap, sell cheap, it's all relative.

It also depends on your own mileage, if you do low mileage and buy something with over the average mileage, over the course of the next two years your car will become average mileage.

The opposite then is when you buy something high mileage and you do high mileage.

Once you look after it with a documented service history, and your mileage isn't astronomical, it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Looking at buying a 2002 Lexus IS 200 automatic, would really appreciate some opinions, currently driving a Volvo 2.0 T Turbo petrol, sorry if I interrupted any conversations, thanks in advance.

Just been through buyin my first car and I was lookin for big diesels. Heard nothin but good reports about them from garage men and car lovers. I know this isn much advice but it's all I could give ye.

agfasfos wrote: »
    Looking at buying a 2002 Lexus IS 200 automatic, would really appreciate some opinions, currently driving a Volvo 2.0 T Turbo petrol, sorry if I interrupted any conversations, thanks in advance.

You'd be going for a 4 cylinder turbo to a 6 cylinder petrol, I'm not sure what the different there would be. From memory the Lexus would be a smaller car.

I'm not sure what your budget it, but there are some fairly cheap, newer than 02, Is200's out there.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-lexus-is200-high-spec-nct-tax/7094730

Thats a hi spec motor, is the Alteeza the same car as the IS200, good price too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Altezza is the same basic car but has some different engines than the IS200. The IS200 has a 6 cylinder lump only producing about 150bhp. Altezza also came with this engine but there was also a version with a Yamaha Beams 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engine producing about 220bhp from the factory. Though I think that is reduced to around 200bhp running on our unleaded grade fuel.

You will definitely notice a drop in performance from the S60 2.0T down to the IS200. The IS200 is not that powerful and thirsty enough. Another one you might consider is the Honda Accord Euro R.

Thanks very much for the info folks, in fairness to my Volvo it has a fair pit of poke & getting about 32 MPG. Problem is I need to go automatic, back problem etc & people have said Lexus is virtually bullet proof.

The auto box in the IS200 is terrible. Will be hard to match the S60 for comfort too. What about another S60?

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the ownership name on a car to be changed so I can tax it?? The form was sent away on Tuesday

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the ownership name on a car to be changed so I can tax it?? The form was sent away on Tuesday

If it was sent before 4 on Tuesday it should be there Wednesday and possibly in your name on Friday/Monday.

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d86aaa37519f774c72840490aedf399aaa.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0Ma3iTe0?page=welcome

You can type the reg in there and watch it so see if it's changed, as soon as it has you can tax it. All you need is the chassis number which you can get off the car, and the rest is just what you filled out on the book.

agfasfos wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the info folks, in fairness to my Volvo it has a fair pit of poke & getting about 32 MPG. Problem is I need to go automatic, back problem etc & people have said Lexus is virtually bullet proof.

I think you may notice a significant difference in the comfort of the two. Have you sat in a Lexus Is200?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-volvo-s60-automatic-nct-tax/6998150

07 S60 for 3k! How could you go wrong :P

bazz26 wrote: »
    The auto box in the IS200 is terrible. Will be hard to match the S60 for comfort too. What about another S60?

Thanks for the heads up on IS200 auto. Going to turn my attention to another S60, like you said it really is comfortable & hope I can find a good automatic ?, any opinion on the S80 ?.

I think you may notice a significant difference in the comfort of the two. Have you sat in a Lexus Is200?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07-volvo-s60-automatic-nct-tax/6998150

07 S60 for 3k! How could you go wrong :P

Well spotted, nearly missed your post, will definitely follow up on that, many thanks.

Thanks lad. I've some headache tryin to get this car on the road ha Be all worth it in the end :-)

Boards has been an unbelievable source of information and I think your one of the biggest contributors to this thread and forum. Thank you. It's much appreciated. :-)
    Have a good weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

I'm currently looking to buy a small car (€2k to €3k) and and what I thought would be an easy and pleasant transaction is turning into a nightmare. What seems to be prevalent is dealers posing as private sellers who want to meet in Shopping Centres and Car Parks - for my convenience.
    For example, I've had 3 different mobile numbers all claiming to be a local valeter and all wanting to meet with me in a Maxol garage in Walkinstown. When asked, each of these guys say that they just came across a car from a valeting customer and it was so good they took it themselves (or something) - when I pointed out to one guy that there were 7 cars linked to him on Done Deal he insisted he was private and became quite cross.
    Another, completely different mobile number, wanted to meet me in Lidl Walkinstown with a car and a different story - he said he'd taken the car in as a private trade in for his own private car. When questioned he said that he would never bring anyone to his house as he had a bad experience with someone before.
    I can't say that there is anything wrong with any of these cars but, from my experience, i'd like to sound a note of caution to anyone considering a purchase. In all probability, they will not be able to trace the seller again if there is a problem or all is not as it seems to be.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what sort of comeback you are expected to get on a €2k to €3k car from dealers but imo it will not be much as there is little or no profit in offering warranty on cars in this price range. You are better off treating everything as a private sale, try to buy from a person who has owned the car long enough to be able to answer specific questions about it's history.

Sometimes a quick way to weed out the on the side dealers is by first inquiring about "the car" rather than the specific make and model. If they ask you which one then you know they are most likely wheeler dealers. Also worth avoiding the cheapest priced examples of each car as these tend to be the ones with either dodgy pasts or sellers.

As with any car make sure a mechanic inspects it before handing over any cash as it's your problem after that.

I agree with all that - the purpose of my post was to warn people again about this practice. In the last few days I've come across this practice a LOT.

Maybe you're right about not being able to buy a genuine car for this money - I thought there might be people out there who genuinely had no more use for an older runabout or learner car and would be selling privately.

I'm now thinking that there is a connection with these "cars for cash" signs everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i bought a nissan micra for 2900, privately. the seller offered me to come to his home to take a look at the car, but since he lives rather far away and i didnt have car, we met in front of my home. i test drove it, gave him the money in cash. its a nice car, although it sometimes starts to smell like sausage when the ventilation is on...?! :D

anyway, it was a nice sale, the guy was really nice, we even made a small contract stating the credentials of the deal. i'm german, we do this kind of stuff. the car isnt in the BEST condition ever, but its not bad either for a 11 year old car. small things here and there that i can get fixed for small amounts of money if i cared to. all in all i would say it 10/10, would deal again.

anyway, i suppose you also need a bit of luck to contact an honest and genuine seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

How can I find out if a car is stolen?

For instance, this car (where they're hiding the reg) or this car (where the reg is visible)?

In short, I don't think you can. Heard of someone who ran a Cartell report on their new car but it turned out that the reg plates had been swapped with another car.

If you're buying privately stick to the basics and make sure you know who you're buying from would be my advice.

Check the logbook and verify that the chassis number is the same as that off the car. Run a cartell check, do all of what is metioned in the first post.

On anything under 5 years old I would run a finance check too.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Hi there,

Posted here recently when the other half was about to buy, got some great advice so hoping that I can get some myself now. New arrival on the way in January next year, so I need to move from my 00 1.4 Astra that has 231k miles on a petrol engine to something a bit fresher and with a bit more room.

Budget would be around €6500 - €7500 and I'm thinking diesel as I do about 15000 miles of mostly motorway driving each year. Any suggestions or am I best to stick to the obvious choices like 08/09 Ford Mondeos or Skoda Octavias? Probably won't be buying til later in the year but want to keep an eye out in case a bargain comes along!

Thanks for help

If this is genuine then it is worth considering too, plenty of poke and very reliable:

media?xwm=y&id=22ec9bb5-797a-4244-b147-def78e15bd57&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/KIA/Ceed/1.6-CRDI/42713936891539540/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

+1
    And cheap servicing as there is no timing belt changes ever reqd...they've a chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

hey guys I'm looking for a little help.

I test drove a 2011 1.6 Passat this morning and really liked it.

This is the exact carhttp://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Passat/1.6-TDI-/43813953142594460/advert?channel=CARS

Should i look out for anything or would the more knowledgeable people of boards advise anything ?

Thanks

Advertisement