Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Ya might try get to Cork to have a look at it. Seems a good price but would the 2 owners make ye sceptical with the problems people seem to have with the TDCI engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its a rare Irish model!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its a rare Irish model!

That a good thing or a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2 owners on a 5 year old car is nothing to raise an eyebrow over.

Just remember that the 1.8 TDCi changed to a "wet" timing belt from late 2007 onwards. These belts have been known to prematurely snap causing a lot of damage so you may need to budget to have the wet belt changed immediately if the job has not already been done, not a cheap job either and plenty of info on the web about this.

Thanks bazz26, appreciate your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

Any advice on how to detect if a car is clocked. Looking at 2011,2010 ,cars at the moment and I'm wondering how to check for clocking. Seems difficult enough to tell the difference between cars with different mileage

kala85 wrote: »
    Any advice on how to detect if a car is clocked. Looking at 2011,2010 ,cars at the moment and I'm wondering how to check for clocking. Seems difficult enough to tell the difference between cars with different mileage

Verified service history, motorcheck/cartell reports.
    Mileage isn't everything anyway.

Looking at the log book supplied with the car but I thought that the mileage in log book didn't look right. Only two services on the car showing 50km. Could the dealer or person trading the car have faked the log book and turned back the mileage.
    Any tell tale signs. What should I look for in the case of a crashed car. Any signs inside and outside the car. What should I look around the engine

Are there certain registrations that are used for english imports??

The log book or registration cert does not contain a record of mileage. You mean the service book. To verify mileage you ring the garages that stamped it and correlate what they did against what is stamped in the service book. You also get a motor history check done.

UK imports will have the speedo clock in mph. Irish cars from 2005 onwards would be kph. The service history should also contain details of the UK garages where it was serviced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

You've been humming away to yourself unknowingly to good tunes on the radio, hence why you cant actually locate the hum and why it comes and goes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

kala85 wrote: »
    Are there certain registrations that are used for english imports??

yes, differs from county to county where its registered.

Get your hands on the cars irish log book, it will show the cars original Uk reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra/6920530

Having a look at this later, any opinions please.

Honestly?

It's over priced, high mileage and very boring...but reliable!

its a bit dear for the milage, and the year , he's might be a wheeler dealer on the side - see a car transporter trailer in the background there. Shure its got a new nct, but I'd not put too much weight on that.

Reliable oul' yoke all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Honestly?

It's over priced, high mileage and very boring...but reliable!

Getting it for 1300 and it will be my first car.

Getting it for 1300 and it will be my first car.

Buy this Micra instead, better spec'd and only 70K for same money!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-micra-1l-nct-1-15-1525/6911509

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Buy this Micra instead, better spec'd and only 70K for same money!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-micra-1l-nct-1-15-1525/6911509

+1, check the radiator core and fins, someones been messing with it - still, should be ok, check the heater fan inside the dash works on all speeds, they give trouble. Check for leaks inside the cabin. Check for noise from the gearbox in ALL gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey,

looking at a 2010 A6's for under 20k, is it crazy to be looking at cars with 100k Miles on them for this price/age?

If going manual would the DMF be the main thing to worry about (assuming DPF would be fine with that mileage?)

this for example?
    Cheers!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/44513997344714100/advert?channel=CARS

Anyone give an opinion on this? Took it for a drive today and it was lovely. Have got them down a few hundred euro.
    It has 6 service stamps so thats a plus as it seems to be what everyone says with the TDCI Focus. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

stuba wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-TDCI/44513997344714100/advert?channel=CARS

Anyone give an opinion on this? Took it for a drive today and it was lovely. Have got them down a few hundred euro.
    It has 6 service stamps so thats a plus as it seems to be what everyone says with the TDCI Focus. Thanks in advance.

Don't take service stamps for granted. Ring the garages that stamped it and verify with them what they did to the car at time to make sure it matches.

&1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daewoo-lanos-1-3-nct-02-15/7040130

going to have a look at this tomorrow (I know, a daewoo haha) price seems too good to be true with a long nct. what should I be looking out for? im saving for a cheap first car so im not too bothered with looks, power at the moment.

cheers.

On a €450 car I'd probably check that it starts, goes and stops ok. Make sure it is ticking over ok, not making any strange noises or rattles, the exhaust isn't smokey, etc. Take it for a good spin and make sure it isn't over heating or misfiring. Ideally bring someone you know who is knowledgeable with cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

bazz26 wrote: »
    On a €450 car I'd probably check that it starts, goes and stops ok. Make sure it is ticking over ok, not making any strange noises or rattles, the exhaust isn't smokey, etc. Take it for a good spin and make sure it isn't over heating or misfiring. Ideally bring someone you know who is knowledgeable with cars.

cheers Bazz, yeah I'm under no illusions that it will be a beauty at that price! Just attracted by the long nct, really.

thanks for replying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

1.4 petrol golfs.....not the best engine to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

MidlandsM wrote: »
    1.4 petrol golfs.....not the best engine to be fair.

I'm thinking a 1.9 diesel will destroy me when going for insurance as a young 20 something...what hatchback would you recommend in that price range?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking a 1.9 diesel will destroy me when going for insurance as a young 20 something...what hatchback would you recommend in that price range?

A good focus 1.4, or mazda3 or a corolla. A car always overlooked in this segment is a mitsi lancer...1.4, japaneese reliability and they come cheaper than all the rest.

Advertisement