Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mrmrmr wrote: »
    the yarris is old and with many miles. the dealers din't want it for trading in.

Should I consider a demo model for the civic? I saw they have a few for sale and with low milleage (about 2,000 km)

Definitely if you can, dunno how they'll compare price wise though. If you can afford the extra for the ES and you're keeping it long term then go for it.

Keep in mind that red ones cost them less to start with so should be worth less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mrmrmr

you've been very helpful and thank you so much for all the advice. Why the red ones? I intend to buy a civic and keep it for a good number of years.

They're not metallic. White ones are pearl, dunno if they charge extra for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

went to look at a car in dublin today, naas road, travelled from kilkenny. bit of an eye opener really. the sheer disrepect for the cars was incredible. seen cars wedged together like sardines. two cars were locked together with matching dents. a high percentage were chipped and scraped around the bumpers. witnesed one of the workers drive a car at speed up a ramp tearing absolute ****e out of the bumper. (im guessing thats where the aforementoned chips on the other cars came from) now im not lumping all garages in dublin together but fck me how do they expect to sell cars when they treat them so ****ty :eek:

Its like a Bermuda Triangle of rubbish cars alright.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

Crazy, they weren't just rubbish cars though. I was looking at an insignia around the 14k mark. There were a few there but honestly every one of them had the same scrapes and bangs! Ended up going to Wexford and buying one :-D some road trip

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Crazy, they weren't just rubbish cars though. I was looking at an insignia around the 14k mark. There were a few there but honestly every one of them had the same scrapes and bangs! Ended up going to Wexford and buying one :-D some road trip

Prob all ex fleet ones, LeasePlan and the like. Bill Griffin by any chance? Charging top dollar for those Insignias as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

colm_mcm wrote: »

Those Naas Road dealers do themselves no favors with their customer service and lack of care for the cars in their care IMO

road_high wrote: »
    Prob all ex fleet ones, LeasePlan and the like. Bill Griffin by any chance? Charging top dollar for those Insignias as well.

The very one. Had a car advertised on carzone for 14500 (this one was in the showroom) would only knock 100 off. Was paying cash so said **** that! As I said headed to Wexford and got same model with less mileage for 14

The very one. Had a car advertised on carzone for 14500 (this one was in the showroom) would only knock 100 off. Was paying cash so said **** that! As I said headed to Wexford and got same model with less mileage for 14

LOL €100. I'd say you could get an Insignia from a main dealership for less/same money. As you have obviously proven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Was thinking of having a look at this yoke:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-glx-z1-4-xe/5915629

Mileage seems low, but is €2k a bit pricey for whats going to be a 13yr old car fairly soon? I'm looking for a run around car capable of the odd spin from Cork to Donegal and Cork-Dublin maybe once a week or so.

I don't think the mileage would justify a diesel.

Thoughts/recommendations please

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It might seem high, but decent cars and commanding a decent price. There's ALOT of **** out there ATM, and a lot of chancers to go with them.

If it came for 15-or 1600 it might not be a bad purchase IF it's an honest car.

Easiest thing to do is go and look at it. You might also get a decent 01-02 Focus for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hey, can anyone give me an answer on this. What's number of miles per week or year you need to do to lean towards a diesel over a petrol. Or does a figure exist?

Cheers

delaney001 wrote: »
    Hey, can anyone give me an answer on this. What's number of miles per week or year you need to do to lean towards a diesel over a petrol. Or does a figure exist?

Cheers

Really depends on where and how you drive.

On the 07 civic, we've bought one (not the one above) got a better one in the end. They have no spare wheel? Just a repair kit thing? So dealer tells me.

road_high wrote: »
    On the 07 civic, we've bought one (not the one above) got a better one in the end. They have no spare wheel? Just a repair kit thing? So dealer tells me.

A lot of modern cars dont or esle they were an optional extra. If there's room in the boot you could always go to a scrappy and get one, or ask the dealer to source you one as part of the deal

Best of luck!

A lot of modern cars dont or esle they were an optional extra. If there's room in the boot you could always go to a scrappy and get one, or ask the dealer to source you one as part of the deal

Best of luck!

Yea I'll ask tho I have the deal done but can ask. I'll try source one somewhere though, cheers!

Saloon models have space savers, wheels from loads of Hondas will fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 meouldstock

Hi folks,
    I've been driving my first car for years now (Opel Astra) and looking to change and get something a bit better. I mainly drive around the city and up and down the country every few weekends.

Have you any thoughts on this car? http://www.CarsIreland.ie/988636 I've heard the 316 is very slow so I presume the 320 would be a good bit nippier?

I looked up the dealers, Motorvation, on here and there seems to be mixed opinion on them. Is that enough for me to keep away? There doesn't seem to be any warranty mentioned in the ad either so is that another reason to be wary?

Would appreciate if anything else jumped out for the more car savvy people.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a basic entry level ES model with leatherette seats and multi-function steering wheel. I'd prefer a nicer M Sport like this to be honest:

media?xwm=y&id=14278121&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/BMW/3-Series/318-I/201344219334402/

Proper Dakota leather sport seats, MV2 alloy wheels, full service history and the bonus of a sunroof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 meouldstock

Cheers bazz26.
    That M Sport is nice alright but it has nearly 90000 miles on the clock. Is that something to shy away from?
    I thought that most cars start to give problems once they get over 100000 miles? Or are BMWs reliable enough to consider 90000 as being low milage?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I'm considering buying a 2004 1.3 mitsubushi lancer for €2800.
    120,000 miles on the clock.
    I've been told they are extremely reliable, which is what I need.
    Have any of ye experience with the lancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 freddyboiii

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with 01-05 Civics (specifically 05 1.7 ctdi). I have driven an 07 civic and really liked it but unfortunately ones from 2006 or earlier are out of my price range so I am considering the older generation and would appreciate any feedback available. Thanks

Far as I know its the engine from the Astra, don't think they actually sold them in Ireland so it'll be all imports.

Cheers bazz26.
    That M Sport is nice alright but it has nearly 90000 miles on the clock. Is that something to shy away from?
    I thought that most cars start to give problems once they get over 100000 miles? Or are BMWs reliable enough to consider 90000 as being low milage?

That is the mind set that is built into your typical average Irish motorist, they seem to think cars suddenly implode as the odometer hits 100,000 miles. 90k miles on an almost 8 year old car is not high mileage, if fact it is just below average for the year. If a car is well taken care of and serviced regularly then it should do that mileage at least twice over without any major mechanical problems.

Now BMWs have their faults and they can be expensive to put right but mechanically they are sound and are well capable of high mileage (apart from timing chain problems on certain engines and other known problems).

1.7 ctdi Civic is a Isuzu derived engine they bought from GM. It was never officially sold in Ireland so anything for sale here is an import. Pretty solid engine all the same if a little rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 freddyboiii

Thanks lads, is there a thread where I can put up my budget and requirements and ask people for car ideas or is that sort of thing frowned upon?

Thanks lads, is there a thread where I can put up my budget and requirements and ask people for car ideas or is that sort of thing frowned upon?

Feel free to start a new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7 holy water

Recently seen a 2003 ford van. The owner told me it was in perfect order. he was a private seller. We went by bus costing us 40 jo-so's. He turned out to be a car salesman. He took 30 minutes to start it and it took another battery to finally do the job. There was a lot of black and white smoke. The bottom had a hole in the cross beam. Rust flaked off the bottom everywhere I put my hand. It was just out and he refused to put it through the test. He kept telling me there was nothing wrong with the van and it would never give me any trouble. This van is the reason for me to look on boards. Thanks for writing this thread and next time I will ask before going out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 buzzkill88

@Limerick Man
    I've read your posts and they are so informative - I was hoping you could help me out if u have the time. I'm looking to buy an Accord or Mazda 6 under 2K budget. Saw a few deals in these links and was wondering what you think of them? Any red flags or anything I should look out for in particular? Would appreciate any help I can get cos it's my first time buying in Ireland! :D Thanks

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1999-honda-accord-1-8/6055910

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-exec/6046635

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6-2-0l-2002-nct-07-14/6003064

Advertisement