Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Esel wrote: »
    Insure yes afaik (may be wrong though...).

For commercial motor tax you need a VAT registration number. (some Councils were not enforcing this reqt. after the new rule came in. Not sure about now though).

Can you not just use your PPS number? I heard this.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

I seen a car im interested in and done a motorcheck on it. Transferred ownership to a dealer around march and then to current dealer in August? Any reason why this would happen or is this a done thing in the motor industry? This would lead me to believe the car has not been on the road since march. Seems to be a long time off the road? First time buyer so dont know whats acceptable or not? advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can you not just use your PPS number? I heard this.
    There is a mega-thread on it in this forum if you do a search.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    There is a mega-thread on it in this forum if you do a search.

Couldn't (can't) find a megathread - saw lots of small threads with often conflicting advice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bartooseboy

I took a test drive of a 131reg 1.6diesel yesterday.... its an ex hire fleet car so approx. €21000 is what they were asking...... just wondering am I better off waiting til Jan/Feb next year to buy? will they depreciate much because of the 132 & 141 cars??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 tinman09

Is a three month warranty the standard? Anyone offer longer around dublin/kildare region

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

tinman09 wrote: »
    Is a three month warranty the standard? Anyone offer longer around dublin/kildare region

Depends on the dealer/car/year

Do you mind if I ask ur opinion on this LM

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/1.8TDCi-/37113825400974090/advert?channel=CARS

Do you know the dealer btw?

A friend of mine was buying the Insignia he has listed, nearly went through with it until he said the mileage was actually 136 miles not kms. Still hasnt changed the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

I shook hands on a car today (private sale) and will buy after the weekend. The car is early 90s and has the old style brown log book.
    It's been a long time since i bought a car with one of those, and i can't recall if the process is the same as with the the newer VLC.
    Do i write my name & address on the logbook and then the seller posts this to Shannon?
    Also, will i then receive the same old log book, or a shiny new VLC document?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I took a test drive of a 131reg 1.6diesel yesterday.... its an ex hire fleet car so approx. €21000 is what they were asking...... just wondering am I better off waiting til Jan/Feb next year to buy? will they depreciate much because of the 132 & 141 cars??

Thanks

How much are they new?

tc20 wrote: »
    I shook hands on a car today (private sale) and will buy after the weekend. The car is early 90s and has the old style brown log book.
    It's been a long time since i bought a car with one of those, and i can't recall if the process is the same as with the the newer VLC.
    Do i write my name & address on the logbook and then the seller posts this to Shannon?
    Also, will i then receive the same old log book, or a shiny new VLC document?

thanks
    Yes and yes.

Not your ornery onager

A friend of mine was buying the Insignia he has listed, nearly went through with it until he said the mileage was actually 136 miles not kms. Still hasnt changed the ad.

Thanks ill give him a wide berth so. Been offered a 1.9d 03 s40 150k miles for 2,800. Thinking of something cheap and saving for a better one next year instead of a loan. What you think, nctd til early next year only, reliable seller though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Sold a car the other day to a foreign gentleman with his wife,got the bus out picked him up gave him a look the car asked did he want to see under the bonnet (said no im not a mechanic),test drove it in 2nd gear for a few hundred metre and handed over the money,there was a fair few faults inclding engine lights and air bag faults that I told him about and he'd no problem,just paid and drove off with no tax or insurance on it :eek: It must be handy money buying and selling cars if this is the norm :pac:

Hopefully he doesn't get stopped while it's still in your name!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Hopefully he doesn't get stopped while it's still in your name!

Once the log book is signed and posted how can I be affected?

I thought it was very strange after having people pull the car apart looking for faults this lad came out and bought it without a care in the world,didnt check the gears,brakes,steering nothing what so ever,its a nice car never any engine trouble only a air bag fault and little mileage so its not a dud but for all he knew it could've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm going up to look at a car tomorrow in Dublin. Chatting to the dealer / trader ?(what's the difference - this car isn't with a large garage) he said if i want it after having driven it, i need to leave a deposit. That is fine, but how do people normally do it - cash, credit card etc and is there any room for maneover with the deposit. Also he will be doing the NCT for me, so do i still pay the deposit before the NCT is done? Finally i will be getting an independent check done on the car, so do i wait until that is done before handing over the deposit? Sorry, i'm new to all of this.

Also the car is a japanese import - i presume it should still have a log book (albit in japanese!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Hi.
    Just wondering if you guys could give me some tips re buying a car (second hand).
    1. What is the most economical family sized car?
    2. What's more fuel friendly Automatic or Manual?
    3. Do dealers deviate much from the display price?
    4. Is high mileage really a bad thing? Eg a 2011 car with 80 Kms on the clock.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I am on the market to buying my first car, so I am very excited but very cautious as I don't want to be screwed over. I am looking at a 2005 Ford Fiesta Steel. It is listed as a private sale, however he has a few other cars for sale and a digger for hire.

Is this common or something to worry about?

Thanks for the help :)

Depends. Ask them whether theyre a dealer or not. If they bluff you, proceed with caution

• Advertisement

Liam90 wrote: »
    I am on the market to buying my first car, so I am very excited but very cautious as I don't want to be screwed over. I am looking at a 2005 Ford Fiesta Steel. It is listed as a private sale, however he has a few other cars for sale and a digger for hire.

Is this common or something to worry about?

Thanks for the help :)
    No, that is not common. If by 'few', you mean more than two, plus a digger, then imo you can safely presume the seller is not a genuine private seller.

Tbh, even if they have two cars and a digger for sale, I would be a bit dubious.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Why do some people cover their number plates when advertising their car? Is there a good reason for this or are they trying to hide something?

Liam90 wrote: »
    Why do some people cover their number plates when advertising their car? Is there a good reason for this or are they trying to hide something?

Either being cautious about cloning or hiding something.

Either being cautious about cloning or hiding something.
    Normally the second tbh in my experience
    That is on my list of red flags when looking at a car ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

I agree, if the number plate is hidden I'm inclined to look elsewhere.

Its the easiest thing to do, they might learn eventually ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-6-lx-serviced-ready-to-dri/5906004

Look OK?

Obviously i'd be looking to haggle down a bit.

Jesus that looks as rough as badgers hole!

Normally cars look good in photos and bad in person. Look at the state of the back seat. Looks like its had a hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

How can you tell from 1 picture it's rough?

Curious as i'm just starting this car buying lark and i'd rather not get burnt.

• Advertisement

The paint looks chipped and in bad condition and look at the photo of the back seat, the cloth is all saggy and torn.

Advertisement