Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you got it for 6 k it could be alright.

As for cartell, they only know what mileage people enter, so if no one has ever entered thenn you cant tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

If you got it for 6 k it could be alright.

As for cartell, they only know what mileage people enter, so if no one has ever entered thenn you cant tell.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

I'm looking for a reasonably cheap car, €4500 is my budget. I've looked a good bit online and would rather go with a dealer than private. These two are the ones I'm considering viewing:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Almera/1.5-3DR-/37613796956748590/advert?channel=CARS
    - does this seem a bit cheap?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-peugeot-206/5421275
    - had a 206 previously, this one looks good too

The car will generally be used driving around a bit in the evenings and up and down the country once a week or so. What do you think of these two?

Almera ten times over the 206 for anything but city driving.

Edit: I see the Almera is 3 door, try get a 5 door you'd never sell the 3 again.

Are 3 doors really that much harder to sell? I didn't realise. What about this one? Does that mileage seem very low for an 05?

http://www.cityviewcarsales.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=956240

• Advertisement

Mileage would be low alright.

Almeras would bw hard enough to sell, and so would 3 doors as a seperate thing, so its a bad combo, lol.

I'll take that into consideration so. Thanks for the help and for the guide, very thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I see the Almera is 3 door, try get a 5 door you'd never sell the 3 again.
    Although they say there is a buyer out there for every car... :)

Not saying you are wrong, but some people (why? * ) prefer a 3-door car.

* Maybe as a statement that they never plan to have children, or because they require a wide door ope.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can sell 3 door Golfs, focuss, corollas no problem, they're popular with young people.
    Almeras aren't as desirable and any young person will take any of the above first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 caffers3

Looking to buy my first car at the minute. Budget is low right now, probably able to spend up to €1,500 max. What would people recommend between a Peugeot 206 1.1 litre or a 1.4 Focus? As I said its my first car so need to be wary of insurance too. 24 and full licence but don't have any no claims bonus. Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

get insurance quotes first.......then purchase. Yeah, a focus is a decent starter car.

or a mazda 323, will be as reliable as a wood burning stove!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

theres a 206 1.1 with lower mileage 40k i thik and 2 yrs nct for 3500 on carzone i think.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Almera/1.5-SVE-/201339218681481/advert?channel=CARS

gonna take a look at this car-any ideas on it or the dealership?
    Cheers,
    B.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Almera/1.5-SVE-/201339218681481/advert?channel=CARS

gonna take a look at this car-any ideas on it or the dealership?
    Cheers,
    B.

It's advertised as having ABS but in pretty sure it hasn't, also 'multiple airbags' in this case means 2.

Could just be the photo but the passenger wing looks very close to the bonnet.

What do you mean by wing close to bonnet? As in wingmirror was damaged and replaced incorrectly?

I might take a test drive in it soon. I was concerned cos the add has pics taken in residential area and is advertised from a garage, why arent the pics from the garage forecourt. Also NCT is March 2015 but phoned up and was told it is giong into pre nct now so will have 2 yrs nct on it. Is this standard practice in garages perhaps?

As in there's usually a uniform gap between the bonnet and the front wings. The picture makes the gap look too tight indicating a possible wallop in the past,

Impossible to tell fully from the pic but something to look for in the flesh.

Re the nct, it would have probably been due in march 2013 so it'd run out in march 2015. (That's not 2 years)

Exactly, but he told me on phone he has it in pre NCT now currently so there will be 2 years on it.suspicious?

Itll be a year and a half which is as good as you get for a 05. Bare in mind if it hasnt been tested since March its probably sitting since then, more haggling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks for the advice i got here last week folks. Picked up my new motor earlier in the week with an 8 hour roundtrip but took advice from here on board and hopefully all seems good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭agfasfos

Best of luck with the new purchase, hope things work out well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

Hello! I know the post is "old" but has been a great help LM. By the way I'm living in Limerick and I was wondering, should I make some document or kind of contract when buying the car?

Let's say I give him the money and he ran away with the keys and the logbook. I know is a stupid question but I'm new about buying used cars in Ireland.

Thanks and regards!

You can do as you please.

I ____your name______ have purchased a car (____make/model______) with registration no ____reg no._____ from ______sellers name____ on _____date_____ for a total sum/deposit of (price).

Signed by both of you.

Edit; thats if its a private sale. Any dealer will have their own already.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wallack

Thanks LM :) and yes, is a private sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

Hey all, quick question on taxing a car:

Basically the tax expired at the end of august, I bought the car privately mid-september. I now have received the log book and will tax it back to 01 sep.

Is it enough to just send in the R100A form to get it taxed or is there something else needed here. Ideally I don't want to go in to the office as its a bit of a pain for me to get out of work.

You can do as you please.

I ____your name______ have purchased a car (____make/model______) with registration no ____reg no._____ from ______sellers name____ on _____date_____ for a total sum/deposit of (price).

Signed by both of you.

Edit; thats if its a private sale. Any dealer will have their own already.
    Tbh, that format is for the buyer to give to the seller. I have never been asked for this myself.

What I use (get the seller to sign this and enter his name and address is block capitals:

This is to certify that I have sold my vehicle Make Model registration number NN-CC-NNNN to BUYER's NAME for the sum of xxxx thousand xxx hundred Euros. This also certifies that the aforesaid vehicle is free from any finance charges or hire-purchase arrangements on my behalf. Dated this sixteenth day of October, two thousand and thirteen.

Got the above wording from someone years ago. Write everything except the reg no. in words rather than figures.

A smart seller might add "This vehicle is sold as seen and without any warranty expressed or implied." before signing it. I wouldn't object, but I don't put it in as standard, as I see it as possibly limiting my rights (I know they are not great in a private sale anyway).

Not your ornery onager

I think the OP was just looking for peace of mind, you can make up what ever you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hope to go see a 2004 Ford Focus 1.4 for sale at €2300 in the next few days. Hoping to get it for below €2000.

Belt done, high (160,000) milage, anything in particular I should check.

Its an not an import as far as I can see.

If I am serious on buying, I'll do a background check.

Buy a 02 with 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Is it possible to insure a vw caddy as private owned rather than commercial?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

• Advertisement

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Is it possible to insure a vw caddy as private owned rather than commercial?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.
    Insure yes afaik (may be wrong though...).

For commercial motor tax you need a VAT registration number. (some Councils were not enforcing this reqt. after the new rule came in. Not sure about now though).

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement