Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can someone give me the pro's and con's of paying for a car by electronic transfer? The guy I am thinking of buying it from has poor English but from my conversation with him I think he was saying that he preferred this as a method of payment. I'm thinking with a draft I can give it to him and watch him sign the log-book in person, which obviously won't happen with an electronic transfer - is there some sort of recommended process for this?
    This just screams SCAM! to me...

Is the car cheaper than it should be?

Have you seen it in the flesh?

Done a history check?

I would look elsewhere, tbh. There are plenty of genuine bargains out there....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Hey guys 29 year old male...

I have a budget of 20-25k to spend on a car, dont have a current car as I spent the last few years abroad...
    Live close enough to work so I reckon the highest my weekly average of miles driving a week is 120..
    I had 4 or 5 years no claims before I left no sure if that still holds now though...

What Im really looking for is suggestions on what cars to even look at had a brief look at BMWs and Audis but just not sure what make or models to go for or diesel or petrol..
    Bit of a lazy git too so wouldnt be expecting to change it in the next 4-5 years...

Any suggestion or tips appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Hi, opinions welcome on the following
    Had viewed a car on donedeal and really liked it
    Contacted the seller and arranged to meet to view car this week.
    He told me he'd had an offer by a couple who left a tiny deposit, but then they didn't answer his calls or get back to him.
    So i made an offer later that night by text, he replied later with his minimum acceptance and the next morning I confirmed I would pay this and would ring later.
    Anyway rang that evening, no answer so I left a messge.
    He texted me to say the car was mine, he wouldnt offer to anyone else and he wanted cash and I could collect Saturday morning.
    I replied to this, said fine I had cash see him Saturday. He also said don't forget to change insurance.
    Anyway spent today getting cash and insurance sorted and then got text late afternoon that he'd sold car to original deposit couple who had reappeared this morning.
    I would have thought he should have honoured agreement with me as they went AWOL. Was too annoyed to reply to him

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Anyone have any feedback on Nissan Tiidas? Theres lots of 07/08 ones for sale at low prices/milage. Seems like a decent deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hi, opinions welcome on the following
    Had viewed a car on donedeal and really liked it
    Contacted the seller and arranged to meet to view car this week.
    He told me he'd had an offer by a couple who left a tiny deposit, but then they didn't answer his calls or get back to him.
    So i made an offer later that night by text, he replied later with his minimum acceptance and the next morning I confirmed I would pay this and would ring later.
    Anyway rang that evening, no answer so I left a messge.
    He texted me to say the car was mine, he wouldnt offer to anyone else and he wanted cash and I could collect Saturday morning.
    I replied to this, said fine I had cash see him Saturday. He also said don't forget to change insurance.
    Anyway spent today getting cash and insurance sorted and then got text late afternoon that he'd sold car to original deposit couple who had reappeared this morning.
    I would have thought he should have honoured agreement with me as they went AWOL. Was too annoyed to reply to him

In fairness, cash is scarce, I wouldn't turn down a sale, he doesn't know you from Adam and you could have as easily went AWOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

I have a budget of 20-25k to spend on a car, dont have a current car as I spent the last few years abroad...
    Live close enough to work so I reckon the highest my weekly average of miles driving a week is 120..
    I had 4 or 5 years no claims before I left no sure if that still holds now though...

What Im really looking for is suggestions on what cars to even look at had a brief look at BMWs and Audis but just not sure what make or models to go for or diesel or petrol..
    Bit of a lazy git too so wouldnt be expecting to change it in the next 4-5 years...

the list is endless. is road tax an issue. do you want small medium or big. do you want new nearly new or used. do you need more than two seats. sport or luxury. nice position to be in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

If I had that cash, I'd be buying 3 or 4 cars!:)
    Spend 10 k on a luxury car that you can only afford to run when you're young.
    Use the other 15k on tax and petrol!
    Something like this:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301255059263/sort/atcustom/postcode/ml12da/radius/1501/make/MERCEDES-BENZ/model/cl/price-to/10000/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1

If you're worried about tax and fuel etc, after 3 years, your BMW will have have lost half of what you paid for it in depreciation.
    For the same money you could buy and run a car like that merc. I'd chose that merc any day over a 316 or Audi a4.

If you want to be different and stand out from the crowd but want something newish how about a brera pro drive?
    Only 250 of the babies on the road globally.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302015156518/sort/atcustom/postcode/ml12da/radius/1500/make/ALFA%20ROMEO/model/brera/price-to/25000/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1

Due to your no claims bonus most likely being 0 (valid for only 2 years) you may not get insured on either of those that I listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Looking at a car right now where the seller has taken it as trade in against his last vehicle, there has only been 1 previous owner registered, the person who traded it in originally, should the now seller register the car 1st under his name? or am I okay to be the next registered owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the seller a registered dealer?
    Afaik registered dealers won't be named as owners on the logbook.

He's not a registered dealer, just took a part exchange on his own car with this car and had the owner sign the log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, hope someone could give me an opinion on this. I was looking at buying a Ford Mondeo 2008 TDCi 1.8 LX. Mileage 210000 km?

Would this car be worth buying or is the mileage too high for a five years old car?

I know the seller well, it was never crashed but there a few bumps and bruises, front bumper very damaged after hitting a badger, passenger side mirror covering knocked off when parked. Car boot flooring is also missing.

What kind of money would you think that car is worth now based on the above description?

6-7k max?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, hope someone could give me an opinion on this. I was looking at buying a Ford Mondeo 2008 TDCi 1.8 LX. Mileage 210000 km?

Would this car be worth buying or is the mileage too high for a five years old car?

I know the seller well, it was never crashed but there a few bumps and bruises, front bumper very damaged after hitting a badger, passenger side mirror covering knocked off when parked. Car boot flooring is also missing.

What kind of money would you think that car is worth now based on the above description?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roger 1

Hi All, I am badly short of budget and require additional car for my better half. Any suggestion for a reliable car with low tax, low insurance and reasonable maintenance cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Roger 1 wrote: »
    Hi All, I am badly short of budget and require additional car for my better half. Any suggestion for a reliable car with low tax, low insurance and reasonable maintenance cost.
    only toyota starlet!1.3 fe ee engine.most reliable car in the world no question about that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Hi,

Viewing a car tonight.
    The car has passed the NCT in the last few months. Would I still need to check everything in the OP, or would I get away with only checking a few things?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hi,

Viewing a car tonight.
    The car has passed the NCT in the last few months. Would I still need to check everything in the OP, or would I get away with only checking a few things?

Cheers.

Of course you check everything. What is there to stop seller changing wheels that were on the car at test? The test is really only for safety, not for reliability or value.

Also check the paperwork thoroughly (how many owners, is it an import, has it been crashed, has it beem maintained, etc. etc.) and get a carcheck done. HP may be outstanding ot the seller may not be the owner. Go there with someone else and do not bring cash. If they are in too much of a hurry, you should be careful. There are lots of cars for sale.

Also, if it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I have a quick question regarding millage

is high millage bad

example?

02 fiat stilo 180km

would be a high millage?
    would the millage range depend on the make and model. fiesta at 200km
    the same as a golf 200km?

thanks

So many variables its very hard to tell.

Its very car specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

http://www.vwjk.ie/page/used-cars/details/?vehicle=58578_1560875

How much should this go for. I have emailed to see if I can get a test drive tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

cena wrote: »

How much should this go for. I have emailed to see if I can get a test drive tomorrow
    08 golf for 12 grand???sweet mother of God,what di they add along with car??a case of 18 yo bourbon and insurance??

cena wrote: »

That's way overpriced, would of thought more like 9k, maybe 9.5k from a dealers with a short warranty

I'd say 9.5 from a dealers would be cheap.

If it came for under 11 it wouldnt be too bad.

i went looking at it today. good few stone chippings on the. I noticed it was really dirty so I would say it has been standing for awhile. No one even came out of the dealership to help me. They where all standing around

Jesus that's way over priced! 11 grand for a 08?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lovesthecats

fantastic original post limerick man.....buying my first car and just wondering if an 05 VW polo 80,000miles with fresh 2year nct is worth €4500? Is it more important to get the price down or would I be better off trying extend the 3 month warranty to six months? Cheers.

No, my sister gave 3600 for a 05 with a new tesr and FSH well over a year ago.

Also, if you have that money you should, at least, be able to get a facelifted 06 (Way nicer)

Edit: Just looking at the prices of Polos on donedeal, they seem to have gone up in value!

I still think you should be able to get a better bargain than above, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Hi, Ive agreed to buy an A6 from a dealer, collecting it tomorrow.
    However the user manual is lost, is it easy to get a replacement?
    Ive tried google but only get option to download pdf which is no use really.
    I want to have one in the car

• Advertisement

Hi, Ive agreed to buy an A6 from a dealer, collecting it tomorrow.
    However the user manual is lost, is it easy to get a replacement?
    Ive tried google but only get option to download pdf which is no use really.
    I want to have one in the car

Ring your local scrap yard, I would be surprised if they would charge more than 5 euro.

By any chance has the service history been lost too? If so make sure to do all the relevant checks.

Advertisement