Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

My girlfriend is looking to buy her first car and has her eye on this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4886892 . I don't know much about cars so wondering if the price is fair and if there's anything we should be looking out for when viewing the car? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

faral wrote: »
    folks question-I have found a car and everything seems to be perfect but...when I go for insurance I receive quotes much higher than I pay now even though this car has an 1,6 engine,its lancer but not evo version.would it mean that this car was involve in crash or something like that?

Is it a jap import??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Just wondering,My mate has a car he doesnt need for a while so im going to get insured on it for a few months,the car is in his name will it be any problem insuring it and driving it while his name is on the log book,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

SRFC wrote: »
    Just wondering,My mate has a car he doesnt need for a while so im going to get insured on it for a few months,the car is in his name will it be any problem insuring it and driving it while his name is on the log book,cheers.

The car will have to be in your name.

Rushden wrote: »
    My girlfriend is looking to buy her first car and has her eye on this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4886892 . I don't know much about cars so wondering if the price is fair and if there's anything we should be looking out for when viewing the car? Thanks

Clios have their little faults but most of them are easily rectified. The only killer is it's a 3 door and any door related parts will probably have to the bought new.

Make sure the back lights are working correctly, make sure the windows work, if the central locking doesn't work it off the button but works off the key its probably the battery in the key.

Just do all the normal things you would when buying a car, plus the above.

• Advertisement

Cheers,how come though whats the particular reason,ive insured it now in my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Not an issue I think. My mother is driving a car insured in her name. Documents are in my name.

Might depend on the insurance company though

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

nct tester wrote: »
    Is it a jap import??

no,its not.anyway it has had to be an increase in premiums across insurance companies as I did find anything cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Cheers,how come though whats the particular reason,ive insured it now in my name.

Were you asked is the car in your name when getting the quote?

Sounds wrong to me. I'd query that with your insurance company for your own benefit.

• Advertisement

Insurance didnt ask anything about ownership,I can easily change the log over but just wondering if it has to be done,I was thinking in case of any legal/court issues with the car it could become an issue.

Assumption being the mother of all you know what's...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just wondering. My mate has a car he doesn't need for a while so I'm going to get insured on it for a few months. The car is in his name. Will it be any problem insuring it and driving it while his name is on the log book?
    Cheers. How come though? What's the particular reason? I've insured it now in my name.
    Your insurance (apart from possibly third party liability) is more than likely invalid. I believe the wording used is along the lines of "You can not have an insurable interest in a vehicle which you do not own".
    Not an issue I think. My mother is driving a car insured in her name. Documents are in my name. Might depend on the insurance company though
    Don't wait to try claiming to find out....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

Should I be concerned if a seller does not want to meet at their house? He suggested that we meet at a petrol station. Is he trying to hide where he lives in case something is wrong with the car? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Should I be concerned if a seller does not want to meet at their house? He suggested that we meet at a petrol station. Is he trying to hide where he lives in case something is wrong with the car? Thanks.

That would be pointless as the address is on the car documents. He might be just like that. I wouldn't want to bring strangers to my house either or he's hiding lots of oil drips on the drive way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carinee

Hi !
    I'd like to buy a used car (probably from a car dealer) soon, but I will have to take the ferry to France just a few days after, will it be ok with the paperwork and everything ? Should I ask to take the logbook with me ?
    PS : The car will stay registred in Ireland, I'm not exporting it.
    Thanks for the help !

Make sure its taxed and nctd. Also make sure your insurance covers your.

Any dealer should be able to change it online for you there and then and he could give you a copy of the sales docket to prove ownership etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 irishworkerph

When buying from a private seller what documentation needs to pass from seller to buyer? Who does the change of ownership?

You have to sign the logbook and then the seller has to post it.

Best practice would be to bring an envelope and a stamp, sign it up and then put it in a nearby post box with the seller.

Obviously won't work I every situation but it would be ideal.

If you wanted a bit of piece of mind you could ask them tons signs bit of paper saying you bought the car.

If they don't have the logbook don't hand over any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3959503

Does this look like a good deal

• Advertisement

If you did a history check and it turned out OK maybe.

Its an English (Prob NI), 5 year old car with 100 k miles on it.

I'd really want a FSH before I'd go anywhere near it.

Wouldn't let the wheels sway you either, could be rough as a badger.

cena wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3959503

Does this look like a good deal

vw is never a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Hi,

Can anyone here recommend me a car? I've a budget between 2K-4K. I have two kids. It won't be our main family car but five doors is better than three. I like the sound of a Ford Focus, Volkswagen Golf or a Toyota. I'm interested in reliability and low running costs rather than speed or looks. I'm also interested in buying a diesel.

Am I better buying off a dealer and getting a warranty or buying second hand. My previous cars came from family members I've never bought a car from a dealer or unknown third party. I could do with some advice (I read the helpful first post).

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Hi,

Thinking of buying this car

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=920817&r=s.php%3Fm%3D63%26o%3D871%26l%5B%5D%3D21%26yn%3D2005%26g%3D0

Will be my first and mainly for driving in dublin at weekend and the odd drive to mayo and back (maybe every 6 weeks or so)

I can get it for 3,500

Just wondering has anyone experience of driving a similiar car (just want advice on it's fuel efficiency, etc especially for driving on a motorway)

Thanks

silvine, You come across as the type of person that shoukd be buying off a dealer. The trouble is at the 2k mark you're not going to get a lot of bang for your buck. There are a lot of muck cars out there at the moment so just be careful.

newportlad wrote: »
    Hi,

Thinking of buying this car

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=920817&r=s.php%3Fm%3D63%26o%3D871%26l%5B%5D%3D21%26yn%3D2005%26g%3D0

Will be my first and mainly for driving in dublin at weekend and the odd drive to mayo and back (maybe every 6 weeks or so)

I can get it for 3,500

Just wondering has anyone experience of driving a similiar car (just want advice on it's fuel efficiency, etc especially for driving on a motorway)

Thanks

Probably over priced at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Probably over priced at that.

Cheers for reply Limerick man,

What would 3k be more realistic do you think?

I'm getting good insurance quotes, it's taxed till july and nct till 2015 so I'm very tempted and price aint too much an issue, just the actual car I'm more concerned about.

They have a timing chain, and most of them are goosed due to a lack of proper maintenance.
    If the engine is loud/rattles or doesn't have a service history look further.

Any 05 car, if tested, will be tested until 2015, and tax until June is worth less than 100 euro.

folks would do u think about this car?
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/mitsubishi/lancer/2008-mitsubishi-lancer-for-sale/2996727?notification=4cf3e702bc3fb67ae7fc185911b9f3d8-1367104276#comment_14452047
    Im going for viewing but should I pay more attention to some details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Can anyone recommend some reputable dealers around or near Maynooth/Celbridge/Naas?

Advertisement