Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not sure if in the right place or not but I've been searching for a car for months now. I've come across a 01 Punto, which a dealer friend of my father is fixing and selling. He's selling at €650 with tax and test.
    The problem is I've got very mixed reactions from people over the quality. I've had some who tell me to go for it, whereas I've others who are dead against it. So, I've come here to ask, would it be worth the looking or are Puntos known for breaking down?

The problem is that I'm a jobless student so have had to save. I wouldn't have much spare cash to buy another car if it doesn't last very long. The other problem is that I was hoping to get the car to practice for my test in, but I've only 4 hours worth of lessons left.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It could be very good or could potentially be a lemon but youll get that with any car.

Ny thinking would be if hes selling it with tax and test after fixing it and adding a little profit it probably wasnt much of a car in the first place.

Asking for a warranty at that money is silly, so just take it for a good long run and a run in traffic. If its a friend of your dads I cant imagine hed try screw you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Almera 05 with only 18,000 KM on clock!

Jumping on the back of low mileage cars, I've seen this one, looks immaculate and drives well.
    There is a little old lady story about mileage - seems credible to me.

Have asked about SH but not seen any, may never have been serviced - at this stage I don't know. Best price seems to be €3,900
    No warranty but will have new NCT

Good or Bad deal?
    I've heard that in some case low mileage over longer period is not so good
    Is there any way to really verify what clock says?

appreciate any inputs, thinking to replace a Honda Civic '01 (family sized one) that bought recently for 1,700
    (BTW I love the Civic, but I'm not the main driver and OH fancies idea of newer car especially the low mileage!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

I've heard that you can test the clutch by putting the car into 5th gear at rest, and leaving up the clutch. The car should cut out immediately or jump once if the clutch is okay, if it jumps a few times, that means there's a problem.. Is that a correct or incomplete test?

You'd want to know what you're doing. I did that to a car last year and it cut out fine, drove out on the road and the clutch was shagged (after the purchase lol).

As regards the Almera, no one is going to be stupid enough to clock it that low. Unless they're new clocks.

Either way, I probably wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

As regards the Almera, no one is going to be stupid enough to clock it that low. Unless they're new clocks.

Either way, I probably wouldn't bother.

That makes sense about the clock.

You wouldn't bother to get Almera over Civic?? can you say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

If buying from a dealer with full FSH and a warranty do I still need a mechanic to check it over?

Walkedit wrote: »
    That makes sense about the clock.

You wouldn't bother to get Almera over Civic?? can you say more?

I wouldnt buy that particular one. If you got one with 50k miles and an FSH Id buy it ten times over. Almeras are ten a penny and bad enough sellers, it shouldnt be hard to get a very good one at good money.

kitten_k wrote: »
    If buying from a dealer with full FSH and a warranty do I still need a mechanic to check it over?

Do you know anything about cars? If the answer is no then yes you need someone to look over it with you. Its always good to have a second opinion, and more so from someone who knows what theyre talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 joykn

hi, just wanted to know does car dealers do car for car sales anymore? I am trying to change my 2010 car to a 08 people carrier but don't want to waste anymore money to change is that possible?

Depends on the dealer. Just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I like this car a lot, have yet to view it and get it inspected, but the dealer has a poor reputation. Is this alone a reason to walk away, or should I just judge the car on the car itself?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/330-D-M-/37713741352122460/advert?channel=CARS

I can't comment on the Dealer themselves but just thread very carefully as you would buying any car. I would spend as much time looking at the car in the No.1 dealer in the country as I would buying it off a knacker in a car park.

I bought my car this morning. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

So I am collecting my car from the dealers on Saturday morning, what do I need to make sure that they give me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

There's not really much they have to hand over. Make sure you have both keys and any of the service books and owners manuals. They often store these in the garage and forget to out them in the car. Also get a copy of the invoice and make sure they write down on it what warranty you are being given. Check in the boot that you have your spare wheel, jack and wheel brace along with any locking nuts if applicable. They will get you to sign the registration cert and they will send it themselves to Shannon to transfer the ownership.

Then enjoy the drive home in your new car!

Thanks Celtxx

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

Great thread, thanks all for the info.

I'm currently looking at a 09 A4 SE which has around 130,000km on it but timing belt not replaced. Can anybody tell me what the recommended mileage is for replacing this and approximate cost?

I'm struggling to get a reliable answer.

Thanks

What engine does it have?

• Advertisement

Harcrid wrote: »
    What engine does it have?

Apologies, left out the important part!

2.0 TDI 143BHP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Audi were advertising a fixed price for this at their dealers. €399 I think.

My wife has an A6 with this engine and after getting info from various sources the consensus was that it has an 180K km interval. Two different Audi dealers gave us two differnent mileages initially. Not sure if there is an age limit also. We ended up changing it at 140k km for piece of mind.

Oh and it cost about 550 for belt, waterpump and a service at a local independent if I remember correctly.

Yep 180 seems to be the general consensus on this. I was quoted €399 to do it so that must be the offer. Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Hi there,

I've done a search and didn't find anything, is there a thread of advice for selling a used car? I have one to sell and am looking to buy one, this thread has really helped with what things to look at when I go to a few dealers this weekend, but am lost on selling what I have.

I've been offered €3000 to €0 for trade in, even though I know the guy who offered €3000 was clearly desperate :P I think given it's condition it's worth €800-1000 (two mechanics I know gave this figure for it) , but I have no idea where to start with advertising it, pricing it, dealing with the problems it does have before I sell it.

Any help appreciated.

Hi there,

I've done a search and didn't find anything, is there a thread of advice for selling a used car? I have one to sell and am looking to buy one, this thread has really helped with what things to look at when I go to a few dealers this weekend, but am lost on selling what I have.

I've been offered €3000 to €0 for trade in, even though I know the guy who offered €3000 was clearly desperate :P I think given it's condition it's worth €800-1000 (two mechanics I know gave this figure for it) , but I have no idea where to start with advertising it, pricing it, dealing with the problems it does have before I sell it.

Any help appreciated.

Looking for this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056392340

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

TheHulk wrote: »

Oh nice one, thanks. I really feel the search function doesn't behave as well as it did a few years ago!

Edit: A whole day later I realise it's a sticky, I went looking below the stickies automatically then did a search and nothing came up. Duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks, what are your opinions on the below?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-2005-nct-tax/5383472

Looking at Motortax this seems to have been purchased by a dealer on 02/07/2013 yet it's on sale already. Googling the sellers details throws up some Polish language results where it or another car were for sale.

Worst comes to worst the missus is Polish so I could have her call the seller but I'd rather avoid a dead end if possible.

Too cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Too cheap

Seriously? It needs an alloy and tyre.

Advertisement