Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Is that miles or kms?

They are known for coil packs going, but they're cheap enough. Might actually be worthwhile getting the four of them changed as a precautionary measure.

Timing belt isn't due until 160kms.

Is it a Ghia model? Most of the 1.6's were, if it is they a nicely spec'd Motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When looking at a car look closer at the coolant reservoir.
    Open it, look at the colour and smell it.
    Make sure the level is correct when cold.
    The colour should be pretty bright red/blue/yellow/green.
    The smell should be pretty pleasant.

Slight discolourations (particularly on old cars) are pretty normal as many people don't attend to their cars. Ask when it was last changed. If owner don't know it means they're the kind of person that don't care about the workings of their engine, and this in turn can cost you money.
    Note, if you smell exhaust fumes or petrol it's maybe a blown head gasket and you should have a mechanic check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Finally got my loan approved to get a car. Have a budget of about 2.5K for it. Probably going to go for either a focus or a fiesta. Max 1.4l (first time policy)

I found this one on adverts, what do you more experienced people think, is it a good deal? Or can I find better?

Depends on the car. On the face of it it looks like an OK deal, just the timing belt is due on it now if it hasn't already been done.

I suggest you don't buy the first car you see. Go see 3-4 cars - after each make a note of little things you like/not like about it.
    Then compare the cars with each other and go with the best choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Ok, so our latest heap of sh!t car has given up the ghost and after spending the last few years buying cheap second-hand cars privately because of money issues, we've decided to bite the bullet and buy from a dealer with finance.

looking around, I spotted a '10 Chevrolet Aveo 1.2 for what seems like a too good to be true price of €6,995:

http://www.sitesetireland.com/showsearch.php?site=gcorbett&vehicleid=21037

Not knowing much about Chevrolet, can anyone tell me if they have a good rep or not, because that seems like a great price for a three year old car!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Chevrolet used to be known as Daewoo. South Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Chevrolet used to be known as Daewoo. South Korean.

Daewoo are part of GM. They just launched the brand Chevrolet in Ireland by re-badging Daewoo.

Not knowing much about Chevrolet, can anyone tell me if they have a good rep or not, because that seems like a great price for a three year old car!
    Some reviews
    http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/aveo/2010/
    http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/aveo/2010/chevrolet-aveo-4-door-sedan
    http://www.carsite.co.uk/car-reviews/chevrolet/aveo/aveo-12-s-5dr/9570
    http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/chevrolet/aveo/2010/

It is what it is. Fairly reliable small-engined car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Ok, so our latest heap of sh!t car has given up the ghost and after spending the last few years buying cheap second-hand cars privately because of money issues, we've decided to bite the bullet and buy from a dealer with finance.

looking around, I spotted a '10 Chevrolet Aveo 1.2 for what seems like a too good to be true price of €6,995:

http://www.sitesetireland.com/showsearch.php?site=gcorbett&vehicleid=21037

the aveo needs more frequent oil changes than Chevy suggests, they suffer from oil sludge issues, but if kept on top of, are ok, cheap motoring, but thats all it is, cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ironclaw wrote: »
    Daewoo are part of GM. They just launched the brand Chevrolet in Ireland by re-badging Daewoo.

They changed the brand to try and get away from the cheap-cheap image that Daewoo had. I do not think they suceeded. But cheap motoring is what the OP is after. Not sure if cheap-cheap is the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4750215

Thinking of going for her as a first / learner car, what do you guys think? (Talked down to 1600E)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

brainiac wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4750215

Thinking of going for her as a first / learner car, what do you guys think? (Talked down to 1600E)
    I think u can get toyota starlet which is predecessor of yaris for 800 euro in good condition.last model from 1996-1999 is ultra reliable (probably the most in the world).she has the same engine as toyota corolla e11

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Irisheman

Guys desperately need some advise please. Ive decided to buy a 3 series bmw second hand as my first car. Should i get the 316i (1.6l petrol) or the 2.0l diesel 320d. My problem is ive spotted a 1.6l for 6.9k which looks OK, but if i went for the diesel id have to wait a few months and spend about 10k.

My stats would be expecting to do less than 15000km a year. Id be buying a 2006 1.6l or 2006 2.0l diesel.

Many help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Emmett

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Irisheman wrote: »
    Guys desperately need some advise please. Ive decided to buy a 3 series bmw second hand as my first car. Should i get the 316i (1.6l petrol) or the 2.0l diesel 320d. My problem is ive spotted a 1.6l for 6.9k which looks OK, but if i went for the diesel id have to wait a few months and spend about 10k.

My stats would be expecting to do less than 15000km a year. Id be buying a 2006 1.6l or 2006 2.0l diesel.

Many help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Emmett

Depends on money really,Diesel will hold its value more obviously,and be lighter on juice,other way of thinking of it is your saving 3k on purchase price buying the petrol model,id personally go for the petrol one with a nice spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Irisheman

I offered him cash and he said he would talk 500 off the price - you think that sounds OK - its a car dealership so should be legit normally?
    SRFC wrote: »
    Depends on money really,Diesel will hold its value more obviously,and be lighter on juice,other way of thinking of it is your saving 3k on purchase price buying the petrol model,id personally go for the petrol one with a nice spec.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Irisheman wrote: »
    I offered him cash and he said he would talk 500 off the price - you think that sounds OK - its a car dealership so should be legit normally?

Yeah bargain it down as much as possible,bring a mechanic along just to be sure and try get a warranty with it,sure that money saved will buy plenty of petrol,you'd need to hold onto the diesel for a few years for it to save you money.

Any link to it?

Drove one of those in 1.6 before and it really was dead as a dodo.

If it had a nice spec and you were doing mainly city driving it would be fine. Also should be some what saleable as the market for smaller engined - cheaper taxed cars like that should be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭msshono

Hi there

Have had a look at a few second hand cars over the weekend. So far, all private sales. So far 2 out of 5 vendors have said that 'the car is my sisters, she moved to Australia and she's not coming back, so now I'm selling the car for her'.

I know these stories could be legit and just a coincidence, but I'm a skeptic by nature.

So just wondering if anyone else has heard this story being used and it turning out to be a cover up for trying to move a car quickly?

Its more than likely a cover up.

Just take the car for its own merits and forget about the seller. But be prepared that they may know more about cars than they let on, and could be hiding something. Bring a mechanic.

• Advertisement

Its more than likely a cover up.

Just take the car for its own merits and forget about the seller. But be prepared that they may know more about cars than they let on, and could be hiding something. Bring a mechanic.

Thanks Limerick Man...my gut is saying stay away...but it does that a lot so I might never buy if I keep listening to it :D But with this one I think i'll let it go and pay heed to my instincts.

Also I put the reg into the Motor Tax Online site and it says 'Purchased by Dealer' in March... Does this always & only mean that an actual registered dealer bought the car or can it just indicate change of ownership by private sales (e.g. this guy bought the car from his sister as she was leaving the country and he is now just selling it on)?

For it to say that it would have to be purchased and transfered into a Dealers name.

For it to say that it would have to be purchased and transfered into a Dealers name.

Ok great, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Impressive knowledge and advice here! well done to advice givers

Just had Volvo S40 '97 fail NCT badly and need to get something else similar, immediate idea is to get same but newer maybe '03/'04, seeing prices between €2-3K but huge range of mileages from 49K to 149K.

Some advice would be really welcome.
    1) This age S40 good or bad idea
    2) How about an automatic - that one had 49K miles only (private sale)
    3) How to balance year Vs Mileage if car is already 10 yrs old, does 1 year older or newer make any real difference?

What else similar is worth a look 1.4-1.8l, petrol, 4 door saloon, mostly interested in reliable and not a lot of repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

just bought a car in the uk with no warranty and the engine decided it had enough and packed up ,
    tough sh1t paddy i hear you say
    but my question is if i put a new engine in it and decide to sell it on in a year or two am i obliged to tell whoever wants to buy the car this ?
    i know it would put me off buying a car will it make it immpossible to sell??

I sold my last car with a new engine and I was upfront with the buyer, that's completely up to yourself.

I wouldn't know much as regards to the older S40s so someone else might want to fill in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Walkedit wrote: »
    Impressive knowledge and advice here! well done to advice givers

Just had Volvo S40 '97 fail NCT badly and need to get something else similar, immediate idea is to get same but newer maybe '03/'04, seeing prices between €2-3K but huge range of mileages from 49K to 149K.

Some advice would be really welcome.
    1) This age S40 good or bad idea
    2) How about an automatic - that one had 49K miles only (private sale)
    3) How to balance year Vs Mileage if car is already 10 yrs old, does 1 year older or newer make any real difference?

What else similar is worth a look 1.4-1.8l, petrol, 4 door saloon, mostly interested in reliable and not a lot of repairs
    Well, I'll reply even if I have neither impressive knowledge or advice ;-)
    rather than looking at year, the service history and number of owners would be of interest to me. Someone who kept a car and has plenty of receipts was interested in looking after the car for themselves , rather than a chap who kept a car for a year and put nothing but petrol/diesel in it. Sure the year and mileage is important, but not as much as owner attitude to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Well, I'll reply even if I have neither impressive knowledge or advice ;-)
    rather than looking at year, the service history and number of owners would be of interest to me. Someone who kept a car and has plenty of receipts was interested in looking after the car for themselves , rather than a chap who kept a car for a year and put nothing but petrol/diesel in it. Sure the year and mileage is important, but not as much as owner attitude to the car.

I hear ye, I've come across an '01 Honda Civic1.4S petrol with 58K and 1 owner, looks in great nick and drives well for €1,500, I'm thinking I'll have that! Sound promising?

An oddity is where the gear lever is mounted mounted ? Not where I expect between seats but way forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Walkedit wrote: »
    I hear ye, I've come across an '01 Honda Civic1.4S petrol with 58K and 1 owner, looks in great nick and drives well for €1,500, I'm thinking I'll have that! Sound promising?

An oddity is where the gear lever is mounted mounted ? Not where I expect between seats but way forward

that's normal on those civics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

folks question-I have found a car and everything seems to be perfect but...when I go for insurance I receive quotes much higher than I pay now even though this car has an 1,6 engine,its lancer but not evo version.would it mean that this car was involve in crash or something like that?

Advertisement