Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

Martin Cahill would be over the finances. They fairly mill during the club championship with games in Breffni at all different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Cahill is now Head of Operations. He is over more than the finances now.

Duties and responsibilities shall include:

• Support the County Executive in the day to day running of the county.

• Oversee HR function to support the management and the supervision of full and part-time

personnel

• Support the County Executive in the implementation of the Capital Development Projects

including upgrading and improvement to Kingspan Breffni and The Polo Grounds and

securing of grant funding for various projects.

• To work in conjunction with the County Executive committee to develop and implement a

clear strategic vision and plan for Cavan GAA.

• Establish, build and maintain strong communications with Ard Comhairle and associated

county, provincial and national bodies.

• Assist the County Executive with the production of an annual operations plan and a

framework to enable officers to operate as an effective team.

• Provide the necessary leadership, management, decision making and organisational skills to

enhance the county committee operation.

• Lead the identification and development of the commercial opportunities on behalf of Cavan

GAA through marketing initiatives and by building and maintaining relationships and partnerships with external parties and businesses in order to drive additional revenue streams in support of the strategic goals of Cavan GAA.

• Establish, build and maintain key lines of communication with Clubs, Schools and relevant Community groups, to ensure the effective promotion of the Gaelic Games through Club, Schools and Community links.

• Assist the County Treasurer by managing all financial services/operations and ensuring that proper internal controls and governance are in place.

• Support the County Treasurer by managing the reconciliation and preparation of the accounts for all entities under the control of the County Committee.

• Oversee and support the county games manager and other personnel with the implementation of county games development and coaching plan, initiatives and strategy.

• Oversee and support the County Competitions Control Committee and the Coiste na nÓg to provide a meaningful and balanced programme of games to all Child, Youth and Adult players.

• Oversee and support the County Executive to ensure that all intercounty teams are catered for within the means available to Cavan County Committee.

• Act as a conduit between the County Executive and sub-committees by maintaining thorough communications and building relationships with key local stakeholders and other agencies.

• Oversee and support Cavan Safety and Facilities Committee in the implementation of Health & Safety policy at venues in the county.

• Make appropriate arrangements for the County Convention and produce an annual report for same.

• Support the implementation of information technology and improved systems of communication to advance the work of the County Executive.

• The role holder will undertake any other such projects or responsibilities as deemed appropriate by the County Executive and will also assume the duties of the County Secretary.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭celt262

The duties and responsibilities as per the job description given above.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Reading that job spec first thing coming into my head is what does the chairperson do?

• Advertisement

I see Tyrone beat Dublin today in the Semi final of the Buncranna Cup U16s. Didn't hear anything about Cavan U16s this year

Tyrone are always producing underage good teams. They were the better team against Monaghan in the Minor Semi this year, but threw that game away.

Do they not play in the Gerry Reilly later in the year? The U15s were playing Kildare yesterday I was told and have played a few games. I know one parent commented to me that Donegal underage was meant to be in disarray but they arrived down on buses for a game with team fully kitted out with tracksuits etc. looking the part. He didn’t say what the Cavan lads have but I got the impression it paled in comparison.

Usually U14s would have been called in for trials by now but that hasn’t happened. I think we’re short coaches after so many left. Makes you wonder what sense there was in letting lads like Andy McGovern and Chris Conroy walk away and then they are back in as contractors a year or so later.

Yeah the Gerry Reilly Cup would be around late July/August. I don think they play in the Fr Manning Cup anymore.

Cavan are being left behind underage

Derry another powerhouse underage. 6th All Ireland Minor title. 3 of the titles came in the last few years 20,21 and this year.

They would have been strong at U20 this year, but Gallagher kept a couple with the seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 3 L.E.

Cavan vs Meath in the Gerry Reilly Cup Final next month. Seems like Cavan beat Clare in breffni in the semi final yesterday . Only know this because of the Oldcastle GFC Facebook page, not a peep about it on the county board website or social media channels etc.

Do Cavan play in the Buncrana Cup? Good interview with the Monaghan GDM Paul O Connor on NS during the week in which he referenced how they targeted big improvement in that competition years ago as an important step. He came across well, seems like they have a coherent, ambitious plan up there and are all rowing in the one direction.

• Advertisement

Were them two lads every replaced after they left?

When you see the progress that Monaghan are making at underage you would have to question what is going on within our own county

Are the players not there ( We have a bigger population than Monaghan so i don't see why not)

Are the development squads getting adequate coaching and mentoring

Are the correct people been selected to train our minor and u20 teams

Are the county board supporting the clubs enough in underage coaching ( i'd like to know what is happening in other clubs i know my club has had 2 sessions with the county board coaches at U-15 level in the last 3 years and nothing at any other level)

I'd also wonder are clubs doing enough with their coaching

Yeah play in the Buncrana Cup but didn't hear anything from it. Think they played Sligo in one of the group games

Graham is gone. Hunt be on for new man now.

The right time to go. 5 years is enough for any Inter County manager. Malachy O Rourke was 7 years with Monaghan and they were stale in 2019.

2020 was a very good achievement in a strange covid year. Cavan Club championshiop doesn't start until middle of August so they might have a manager in place by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Mickey will be remembered for the Ulster Championship and a brilliant achievement that was. A little bit too focused on Championship that led to our slide down the league.

Absolute horrible playing style in the last two years but especially this year led to his downfall though.

Hopefully the new manager can come in, get a good look at lads during the championship and get lads to commit..

As for names I don't know.

I think it's bitter/sweet to see Mickey go. For me he won an incredible Ulster in 2020. 4 weeks on the trot from the preliminary round, unheard of stuff. Only a particular type of miserable bollox would begrudge that win for what it was, most of them reside on that hoganstand.com cesspit. Now it wasn't all good and the slip down the leagues was a major black spot. However I think Mickey was 100 % committed to the Cavan cause and did the best he could but it probably was time for a change. But that is my big worry, I don't see an obvious replacement that is ahead of Mickey. Of course the eejits out there think will think we only have to approach Mickey Harte or Jack O Connor to get them to come to breffni! Truth is we are a team in decline and we will struggle to attract a big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The time was right for mickey to go...

A hugely memorable 2020, 2019 wasn't bad either

A couple of bad league campaigns followed by a couple of good ones but he's left us back probably where we can rebuild

The biggest disappointment was the TC final it would have been a nice legacy for him to leave

Who is next... God knows but let's hope they get it right and not just go for the high profile name

Personally I'd love to see Mick Bohan the Dublin ladies manager but highly unlikely he'd be interested

The two happiest men in Cavan tonight must be Liam Brady & Gary O’Rourke.

Jaysus I wouldn't say so, there are 2 saddo's over on hoganstand forum pulling the wires of each other this evening such is their happiness. They haven't been this happy since Terry Hyland was run out of the job.

I don’t think there’ll be too many people surprised to be honest. The writing was on the wall.

Mickey’s time can be split into two - 2019 and 2020 were fantastic. Since then though there has been very little to be positive about - losses to such footballing powerhouses as Fermanagh, Wicklow, Tipp, Westmeath & Antrim.

Winning silverware for Divisions we never should have been in is not a positive. The team has underachieved for the last three years.

In the GAA rankings elsewhere on this forum, we are now ranked number 18 of 32. That’s the lowest we have been in a long time.

Twice clear favourites for the Tailteann Cup and couldn’t get over the line.

He has also clearly had his favourites and continued to play them even when injured so it’ll be good to see what a pair of new eyes can bring to the table.

• Advertisement

Just saw these stats on Twitter:

Played: 81

Won: 44 (54.3%)

Lost: 35 (43.2%)

Drew: 2 (2.5%)

Score For: 70-1158 (1368)

Score Against: 71-1060 (1273)

Score difference: +95

There was a bad defeat to Clare in round 5 of the league in 2020. It was a really below par performance after Cavan had got a few wins together. The resumption of the league after Covid defeats by Kildare and Roscommon. Roscommon were already promoted so was a really flat performance in a game Cavan needed to win.

Then Cavan beat Monaghan in Ulster the following week after being 7 down. Monaghan sat back and invited Cavan on.

If you see Derry over the past few years they have been consistent in league and championship

His time was definitely up i think he stayed a year longer than he should have.

Who is a realistic replacement for Graham and I suppose someone who will be better than he was and get more out of the team?

I hope they look outside Ulster. A lot of Ulster coaches and managers have the same style.

Ryan McMenanim was involved for the last 2 years ,and probably had a good day in the slow lateral play that Cavan played in 22 and 23

Within the county there isn't really a stand out candidate when Graham came in he was after been successful down in Longford and i think the majority in the county wanted him to get the job.

Whoever comes in will need to be given time and willing to rebuild as there will likely be a tough year or two ahead given the age profile of the team and likely retirements. When Hyland came in he revamped the squad but he had a group of lads who were after winning Ulster underage Championships and they were also the core of Grahams teams, the next manager won't have that luxury.

They will also have to deal with the issues between the Crosserlough and Gowna lads as them lads should be the backbone of the team over the next 10 years and then try and get more Ramor lads in.

I am struggling to think of a successful manager in Ulster who was not from Ulster. Don't think that's a runner myself.

Well Brian Mullins was successful with Derry wining a League and reaching 2 Ulster finals, winning in 98.

With the new All Ireland series the Ulster championship isn't the be all.

maybe you are right but for me a manager needs to be fully up to speed on Ulster football. Mattie Kerrigan, Tommy Carr and Val Andrews were our experiments from outside Ulster which I don't think did much for us. Personally I would like a Cavan man involved if none is up to the mark to head it up and it should be done with a view to that person taking over in the future sometime.

• Advertisement

Michael McDermott would probably be the best candidate in the County and has county experience having managed Clare.

Advertisement