Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I read it that you were arguing the point. Like I said, McCabe is head GDO so he'd have access to plenty of information to be able to pick a team to attach himself too. He's hearing about alot of these players from primary level which is when his coaches start working with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cookstown won the All Ireland intermediate in 2009 when they beat Lavey in the Ulster final. They had Mulligan playing for them then. Have they won it again since that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭rrs

Yeah they Finuge in 2013

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mulligans-cookstown-shatter-finuge-dream-29060356.html

A few of the Tyrone clubs seem to yo yo between the grades. Rock won a Junior titles

I wonder is the structure of the Cavan Club championship, a hindrance more then a help ,in preparation for Ulster. Denn played 8 games to win Junior including Semi final replay.

That's a long slog before Ulster. I think 4 group games is too much in Cavan. The 4th game are usually dead rubbers. They play straight knockout in Tyrone. I don't think its the fairest system either, maybe a backdoor system instead of 4.group games is better

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Not forgetting Cillian Sheridan who was midfield at only 15 years old and dominated both games in Crossmaglen.

• Advertisement

Barry Watters aswell Played 2 years underage with the International rules team.

He was 16 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I like the present system but, the issue is, we've too many clubs, as I've said before. The population isn't there to support 40 clubs. I know there's some here who will die on the sword that their parish deserves their own team but it's not feasible to have 40 competitive teams with our low population.

Players prefer playing games anyway so I'm sure those Denn lads will tell you they'd prefer to be playing games than training.

In fairness to Donohoe on the pod, it is something he has mentioned - in some clubs the ratio of training sessions to games is way too high.

It's a decent system. The draw each Sunday evening can make it exciting but the overall standard of football poor enough.

Paul Fitzpatrick done a poll recently on Twitter and a lot agreed the overall standard was poor. There has been some highlights like Gowna resurgence and Butlersbridge winning Intermediate.

Some of the Tyrone club games be on Rte and it's really high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

What do we reckon today ? I'm going with Ramor by 2. Talking to a few of the lads during the week, there seems to be a quiet confidence that was missing in the last final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Has Cavstream crashed???

• Advertisement

Working now, pity Sheanon wouldn’t have a power failure, such a dose.

Very poor game today. Both teams had some awful moments. Clarke however was absolutely useless, blowing frees for pulling the Jersey when he could have let the game continue. Missed Cole getting an elbow in the face, missed a few possible black cards too. All in all he was consistently bad for both sides.

Some lovely scores, some of the big men didn't show up either so it could be a good replay.

Where did the last minute go ? He took a walk down to the umpire for a chat and came back and blew it up

Has there ever been a worse half of football played than the second half today. As for Pat Clarke, three minutes of injury time called and he barely plays two. Those Clarke lads are an embarrassment to Cavan club football, shocking refereeing yet again. Knowing the county board they’ll probably give the other lad the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

How can a Killinkere man referee Ramor also???

That was strange alrite, I thought Ramor got frees easier than Gowna, maybe i missed a couple of things Gowna players did tho. I didn’t care who won but was very disappointed with the standard of football. The lack of composure from both forward lines was incredible at times. Gowna looked sluggish for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭benjy1000

Bit harsh to say they are an embarrassment to Cavan football.

Its easy to ref a game from the stands.

how many chances did gowna need to win it. Kicked three bad wides at the end & the county “stars” should have had two goals between them but that’s the refs fault aswell I suppose.

Gowna are a young team and it was a big day for them. Their nerves showed I thought. Ramor were going well until the first black card.

Conor Brady was the pick of the county players on display in my opinion. He really drove at Ramor.

Being a ref is not an easy job and I salute anyone who does it but your best referees should be handling the biggest games. Noel Mooney has intercounty and Ulster club experience and was wasted on the line.

I never said the wides were the refs fault. Clarke has form for years reffing games, he’s a terrible referee. any explaination for the injury time not being played?? I thought the days of referees manufacturing draws were over but obviously not.

Checking to see if a player was already booked before making a decision on tackles was laughable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I thought the first half was very enjoyable but nerves clearly played a factor for both teams in the second half. Ramor were really well set up to stop Gowna's running game (albeit they still managed to create 2 clear cut goal chances and their first two scores could have conceivably been goal chances). Work rate was exceptional in closing down spaces and lots of intense tackling. Couldn't believe the amount of turnovers when Gowna were on the attack but that was mostly down to super Ramor pressure (and some nerves as well).

Conor Brady, as he has been all season, was superb. Brilliant performance from O Connell but having him do a man-marking job on Madden kinda robs Peter to pay Paul as I would love to see him out further out the field. Was seriously impressed by Donoghue's equalising score. For a young lad who has had an amazing season to take that on, is a good sign. When he's had a no-show in the final but still backs himself to take on that kick, that is even more impressive.

Thought the first black card seemed harsh but the second one was clear and there could have been a few others. It's an odd one: both teams will have left the field feeling that they both could have won it and at the same time be glad to leave the field getting another crack at it. Ramor with two black cards would fancy their chances if they keep a full 15. Gowna's young lads will benefit from (presumably) being less nervous for the replay.

Usually a drawn game like this doesn't lead to another close encounter (see last year's final for one) and if that's the case then I don't see Gowna coughing up as many turnovers or missing the scores that they should have taken to get them over the line. I can't help feeling that this one will be close and that Ramor will put everything on the line again on Sunday so another close affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement

What's the situation regarding extra time in Cavan..I seen before then Derry.final yesterday there would be extra time if the game was a draw, and then a reply if still level.

Is it just about the County board having another pay day? Cavan was the only county in Ireland to have a replay last year when.covid was rampant.

In fairness a replay is probably the fairest way. I remember Colm Parkinson on The GAA Hour giving great praise to Cavan last year for allowing both teams to go at it again - the first game had been live on RTE. I think the problem with the draw on Sunday was the ref spent a good 1 minute of the added 3 minutes time consulting with his umpires and then blew the whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭celt262

Anyone hear what the attendance was last Sunday?

The Junior final was called off last year because of a covid case in Templeport. There could have a covid case involving Crosserough and Kingscourt before the replay which would have put the game back months.

It was more the reason to have extra time when Rte were showing the game also. The RTE commentary even said they hoped it would be extra time as it was such a good game. They weren't going to be showing the replay, can only show a select amount of games..

Hard to call this weekend again, maybe the drawn game will stand to the younger Gowna players, they started off nervous last week.

Days like this don't come around to often. What a first half performance by Ramor went a bit more defensive the second half but well deserved. Session in Virginny tonight lads

Fair play to them. I don’t think too many expected them win going into it.

Oisin Pierson was a big loss for them. He was going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Well done Ramor, that was some performance, especially that opening quarter. Credit to management they got their battles spot on and tactically they put a number on Gowna. I was wondering if they could match last week's intensity but in some areas they surpassed it. James Brady will naturally get the plaudits but Ado Cole was superb and Ramor's willingness to kick the ball in quickly caused Gowna all sorts of problems.

You could far for a young side that was 9 points down and looking back at missed opportunities from the previous week, but that Gowna team showed a lot of heart even if they never once created the goal chance they were going to need. I thought Mark McKeever was outstanding and when the chips were down he drove his team forward. As noted above, Pierson had kicked two great scores and was looking like he might do damage so his injury was unfortunate. But regardless you got the sense that no matter how close they got Ramor had enough to add on a few scores to keep them at arms length.

My player of the championship would be Conor Brady but James Brady wouldn't be a million miles off either. Hopefully the former brings that form into midfield for the county and the latter can finally be convinced to join the panel. He's easily been the best corner forward in the county for the last 3 years.

• Advertisement

Jaysus some night in Virginia last night. There's a real sense though that this team has not peaked yet and it seems from chatting to some of the lads they are really up for a run in Ulster. If we manage to start well against Kilco who knows what's possible.

Advertisement