Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar cut off artist's fingers...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Exactly we have too many left wing bleeding heart types in this county, if there was any justice all his fingers should of been cut off and then sentence to life without parole.

You have no idea who you're even angry with any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bradlente wrote: »
    The left/right argument going on in here between some people is pointless in my eyes.

It's fair to say everyone thats clicked in here agrees the 1st sentence was a complete and utter farce and that cruel crimes like these should have much harsher punishments than some crimes they're on a par with jail-time wise.

We're all better off quitting the political slagging match,imo It can distract people from the victim and the brutal crime that it was.

Regardless of how you personally think he should be punished,We can all agree that what he got initially is not near enough and I think we can all agree prison reform is needed.
    It's only ever the imbecilic likes of "You're a leftie bleeding heart" whatever that gets blurted out though, extremely rarely do you see "You're a right-wing fascist" whatever. Probably because those who disagree with the knee-jerk responses are more capable of acknowledging you can't define a person's ideology based on one view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Contra Proferentem

There needs to be serious questions asked about how this guy was only given a four year sentance for a very similar serious assault, in which he stabbed a man who made his escape, and then turned on that man's wife and stabbed her ten times.

It's truly frightening when someone has so little fear of the consequences of their actions that he/she attacks a defenceless victim of a burgalry who poses absolutely no threat and has no intention of posing a threat.

He should have been put away for 16 years on the first occassion. But I suppose we're lucky, a life sentance is about 8 years, so for an greivious assault this guy is getting the equivilent of two life sentances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

WHAT THE **** CAN WE DO ABOUT THIS???

When people say that all we do is complain and shout "Rise up against this bullshyte" on boards.ie and do nothing in real life, I want to ask where the feck do I start? I don't know anything about the judiciary system other than it being a worthless ball of shyte.

Who can we email or call? Whoever we just elected - can they do anything about this?
    anybody got an answer to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

anybody got an answer to this?

Not much you can do, I'm afraid, unless you're prepared to take things into your own hands.

If an incident happens in your home, you have the right to defend yourself using reasonable force. This includes lethal force if you have a reasonable assumption that your life is in danger.

What incidents like the one being discussed here demonstrate is that some burglars are very violent people who are not just going to take your tv and go. At night with an intruder in your home, there is no way to know the difference. This, I think, gives the property owner a reasonable justification to swing a potentially lethal baseball bat to the head of an unsuspecting burglar.

If it turns out that the dead burglar was some 16 year old trying to take the car keys, how was the owner to know? How would he know that it was a kid and how would he know that there was no violent intent? Cases like the one here show that one cannot take the chance.

The most sensible choice when confronting a burglar, in my opinion, is not to turn the lights on thus keeping the essential element of surprise as well as also providing plausible ignorance as to the nature of the burglary. Then when the opportunity arises either from an ambush on the stairs or sneaking up on the burglar, make your move.

My reason for this is that letting the burglar know that you are there is no garauntee that he'll just run. There is a real risk that you'll be assaulted as seen from countless cases. It makes no sense to let the burglar know that he has been spotted. The rational thing to do, then, is to subdue him by surprise since this gives you the advantage. In reality you get one shot and you need to make it count otherwise you have an angry burglar on your hands who will probably more used to violence than you.

This could end up killing them but I'm not sure that you could ever be charged, let alone convicted of manslaughter for a fatal bat to the head of a burglar in the dark while in fear of your and your family's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'm not advocating violence, but I'd suggest that you'd be better off staying either upstairs, or in your bedroom/child’s bedroom.

If any defence ever had to be made, I'd suggest the courts would look far more favourably on the person cornered in their room defending their spouse/children, than the commando stalking the burglar in the dark.

Personally the stair is my cut off. The car keys are on the bottom step. Take them if you must, but if you're coming upstairs, you're only coming up to attack my family, and I'll rot in a cell if I have to, but I won't let anyone harm them on my watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well Mr. James Kenny, it seems, has been on the receiving end of Jail Justice. Yesterday in Mountjoy Prison he was set upon by a group of inmates who gave him a beating. Kenny was taken to the Mater Hospital after prison staff intervened.

There is a somewhat distorted totem pole when it comes to who is a scumbag and who isn't inside the four walls. Child molesters, rapists and women bashers are fair game for a hiding while tiger kidnappers and murderers are just Joe Soaps.

My guess is that Kenny will be sent to the Separation Unit or Base of Mountjoy to serve his time on protective custody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

As a punishment the burglar should have his fingers cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Originally posted by Batsy

As a punishment the burglar should have his fingers cut off.

This sounds like something savage from The Belgian Congo or a radical Islamic nation that stones women. Get real. Who do you propose cuts his fingers off? Sure then we'd have to have their fingers lobbed off also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Who can we email or call? Whoever we just elected - can they do anything about this?
    @ mcmoustache, thanks but I meant an answer to this ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

nah, he should just have to work those fingers of his to the bone repaying his debt to the victim, the criminal justice system & society as a whole.
    He personally should be producing the victims electricty for her while in prison. Preferably by turning a wheel every waking minute. A few less bills for her to pay, won't compensate her loss, but at least it'll be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

So perhaps it is time for boardsies to band together to instantiate legislative change? My outrage has long since subsided, but if someone were to draft up one of those easy auto e-mails that we need only sign our names to and send then I'm sure everyone will be onboard(s.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

raah! wrote: »
    So perhaps it is time for boardsies to band together to instantiate legislative change? My outrage has long since subsided, but if someone were to draft up one of those easy auto e-mails that we need only sign our names to and send then I'm sure everyone will be onboard(s.ie).

Just make sure you read it in full first.Its AH-There could be some weird sex stuff in there.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

And she is not covered by the HSE to get her prostetic fingers.

But, but Mr Brian Rattigan of Gangland/Murder fame is getting his scar on his lip fixed because of low self esteem issues. He got transported from prison to the hospital by the guards and the army and all paid for by the state.... vomit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

woodoo wrote: »

What, seriously? Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

But, but Mr Brian Rattigan of Gangland/Murder fame is getting his scar on his lip fixed because of low self esteem issues. He got transported from prison to the hospital by the guards and the army and all paid for by the state.... vomit :mad:

Thats a complete joke.

To repeat raah someone in the know putting one of the those petitions together would be a great idea,What exactly would you put in it though?

"Its a fookin joke,sort it out there.Signed x badonkadonk"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

@ mcmoustache, thanks but I meant an answer to this ^

Oh, sorry. My mistake.

In answer to that question, you're fecked. Besides draconian legislative changes, zero tolerance, tough sentencing and a Garda on every corner, there isn't much that can be done by politicians.

The judiciary could come down harder on burglars but they don't seem to have the appetite for that. There is also a lack of prison spaces to consider.

The long and short of it is that the State and it's institutions are in no position to protect you nor are they that bothered to change that. Your best bet for keeping your house safe is a big dog or two.

It's a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Home invasion. Torture tactics. He got (ridiculously only) 4 years for the same thing in 98, proving he is and can be a repeat offender.

Ireland is from top to bottom an incompetant joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Leftist wrote: »
    Home invasion. Torture tactics. He got (ridiculously only) 4 years for the same thing in 98, proving he is and can be a repeat offender.

Ireland is from top to bottom an incompetant joke.

I would usually hesitate to agree with this kind of generalisation, but it's difficult not to what with recent goings on :(

I would usually hesitate to agree with this kind of generalisation, but it's difficult not to what with recent goings on :(
    Ineptitude from top to bottom.

People whinging it's about left wing/right wing. Like you wouldnt' be punished for home invasion & torture in a left wing state.

We don't even have a left wing/right wing questions, we're too simple a society for that. It is sheer inept casualness that has us economically ruined and sentencing people like this to four year sentences or a mere 16 years for mutilation and a second offense.

Our life sentence is 14years, our prison capacity is limited, the judges are a joke.

It's the sure it'll be grand, relax mentality.

a land of uncomplicated morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He was hospitalised last night after a got a hiding from fellow prisoners according to the Star today

Millicent wrote: »
    What, seriously? Link?

http://www.herald.ie/news/rattigans-cosmetic-surgery-bill-costs-taxpayer-thousands-2924965.html

Alexandra Trotsenko was on RTE Radio today telling her story and she said she is not covered for prosthetic fingers by the state. A number of artists are trying to raise the 10,000 needed to get her the prosthetic's by having an Art auction.

Its a crazy country we live in. Desperately unfair.

A criminal inflicts horrible injuries on an innocent victim and she can't get the treatment she needs.

An other criminal doesn't like his lip and the state provides him with cosmetic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Ah yes Brian The SKUM Rattigan has full free Cosmetic Surgery while this poor girl cant. I was on Skype to my friend from the USA and he could not believe this. Army escourt also !

http://www.herald.ie/news/how-could-criminal-get-cosmetic-op-2924934.html

I think I have really had it with this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

http://www.herald.ie/news/rattigans-cosmetic-surgery-bill-costs-taxpayer-thousands-2924965.html

Alexandra Trotsenko was on RTE Radio today telling her story and she said she is not covered for prosthetic fingers by the state. A number of artists are trying to raise the 10,000 needed to get her the prosthetic's by having an Art auction.

Its a crazy country we live in. Desperately unfair.

A criminal inflicts horrible injuries on an innocent victim and she can't get the treatment she needs.

An other criminal doesn't like his lip and the state provides him with cosmetic surgery.

What an absolute disgrace. If there was a shred of decency or morality left in the State the Minister for Justice should intervene and provide the funds. It's the State failing to protect its citizens that led to this vermin being on the streets in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

What an absolute disgrace. If there was a shred of decency or morality left in the State the Minister for Justice should intervene and provide the funds. It's the State failing to protect its citizens that led to this vermin being on the streets in the first place.

I'm shocked again. I can't believe this lady will not be helped by this incompetent government. this should be the final straw. it's hard to believe but it just goes to show you the government, shower of pricks couldn't care less about it's citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Some idiot(s) decided the bastard can get cosmetic treatment, at tax payers expense and the victim gets nothing.
    Scumbag wins again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Has someone got a link to the first offence where he received 4 years or a history of events for this savage.

No1J wrote: »
    Has someone got a link to the first offence where he received 4 years or a history of events for this savage.
    I just read it here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1102/1224306911253.html?via=mr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

• Advertisement

ronan45 wrote: »

Impressive work such a pity we have low lifes like kenny around the place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement