Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We'll build your PC for you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd really advise giving it a go yourself. It's a great skill to have, and it means you're a lot more confident in the future. Oh, and it's fun. :)

If you need help, there's Youtube, an abundance of people here, and if you get really stuck I'd be happy to walk you through it over Skype or some such. (Won't be around in August, unfortunately)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

Ok, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Limerick University area here. ill teach you how to do it too if you like.

ill also build if you drop off and collect.

Tea Bag built my computer for me today, called down and did a great job! Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone in Limerick needs help in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Great thread, like to offer my services too. Westmeath area, Mullingar side.
    I can probably source parts too as i do it for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

I tried my hand at building my new pc today, but failed lol. If anyone can help me, I'm living in Dublin 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

I tried my hand at building my new pc today, but failed lol. If anyone can help me, I'm living in Dublin 8.

I replied to your other post.

Folks, do any of ye guys generally have pc parts lying about? or do ye just specifically build from scratch (with no waste).

I have a desktop, and it's great, but lately is slowing, giving random error messages when starting and such ("one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" is a regular one, but today i started getting "not enough RAM" when trying to save a photo in photoshop, and 'cant read from source file or disk" when trying to move stuff around). So it's time to act now before it dies on me altogether.

Although I figure a new desktop is on the cards, if it was more economical, I'd rather fix this one (rather than buying everything from scratch and having this desktop going in the bin).

Anyone fancy attempting to fix it (as i say, probably only suit someone with bits and bobs lying around, rather than the hassle of checking to see what's wrong, and then having to order parts in etc. as it'd probably just turn into a lot of hassle then).

The desktop is about 4-5 years old, so owes me nothing at this stage, anyway.

Or assuming the costs tend to work out the same, or just getting a new desktop would be a safer choice all in all, does anyone fancy making me one?

Last time a boardsie made me one (the one I currently have) he whipped up a list of the things i'd need on a website (hardwareversand or something possibly?) and I bought the stuff and used his address as the shipping address. Then just paid him when i was collecting it.

I use it for photography. I need to be able to edit/save lots of RAW (large image) files at the same time, running 2-3 photo editing programmes at the same time. Other than that it's just the usual internet browsing, etc.

As a point of reference, here's a screenshot of the current spec level on this desktop. The same or better would be ideal.

https://s23.postimg.org/7r9tk8w7v/specs.jpg

I live in Drogheda, Louth, but I drive so anyone within 60-90 minutes or so from me would be grand.

Cheers :)

EDIT: Sorry, just realised the last post here was in 2014! :eek: I followed a link to this thread and never checked the dates. Is there a more current version of this thread around? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'd advise you to make a new thread, but first I need to address a few issues that might actually save you from even going that far.

1. Install windows 64bit. You have 8gb of RAM but only 3.75gb of that is usable because of the limitations of the 32bit architecture. This might cause your "out of ram" issue.
    2. One of your hard drives is about to kick the bucket. Look on amazon for a replacement. An SSD (a special type of hard drive similar to a big USB flash drive) is an ideal upgrade, though you'll also want bulk storage so a replacement WD Blue HDD wouldn't go amiss either.

I think what you have is probably still fine for your needs. Potentially a bump to an i7 processor would be nice, but adding the SSD would speed things up most significantly. This isn't exactly a simple list of tasks if you really don't care to google all the things I've said above, so I'm sure someone on here would be more than happy to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Folks, do any of ye guys generally have pc parts lying about? or do ye just specifically build from scratch (with no waste).

I have a desktop, and it's great, but lately is slowing, giving random error messages when starting and such ("one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" is a regular one, but today i started getting "not enough RAM" when trying to save a photo in photoshop, and 'cant read from source file or disk" when trying to move stuff around). So it's time to act now before it dies on me altogether.

Although I figure a new desktop is on the cards, if it was more economical, I'd rather fix this one (rather than buying everything from scratch and having this desktop going in the bin).

Anyone fancy attempting to fix it (as i say, probably only suit someone with bits and bobs lying around, rather than the hassle of checking to see what's wrong, and then having to order parts in etc. as it'd probably just turn into a lot of hassle then).

The desktop is about 4-5 years old, so owes me nothing at this stage, anyway.

Or assuming the costs tend to work out the same, or just getting a new desktop would be a safer choice all in all, does anyone fancy making me one?

Last time a boardsie made me one (the one I currently have) he whipped up a list of the things i'd need on a website (hardwareversand or something possibly?) and I bought the stuff and used his address as the shipping address. Then just paid him when i was collecting it.

I use it for photography. I need to be able to edit/save lots of RAW (large image) files at the same time, running 2-3 photo editing programmes at the same time. Other than that it's just the usual internet browsing, etc.

As a point of reference, here's a screenshot of the current spec level on this desktop. The same or better would be ideal.

https://s23.postimg.org/7r9tk8w7v/specs.jpg

I live in Drogheda, Louth, but I drive so anyone within 60-90 minutes or so from me would be grand.

Cheers :)

EDIT: Sorry, just realised the last post here was in 2014! :eek: I followed a link to this thread and never checked the dates. Is there a more current version of this thread around? :o

Hi, it seems from what you're saying that your hard drive is probably on the blink. You do have a huge issue though - you have 8gb ram but a 32bit operating system. It can only address 4gb total, hence only ~3gb is usable. Whoever decided on that spec with that OS wasn't very knowledgable.

So I'd recommend 2 things for you - Windows 10 64bit edition (free) and a new main hdd or a SSD for OS and new large HDD for storage.

Those parts with a complete reinstall of OS and software should sort you out for the time being, and quite cheaply. You could maybe even upgrade to 16gb ram while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Any point in keeping this bumped? Never knew it existed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

The only difference I'd make is have your large 1Tb drive external then only plug it in when using photo editing/backups

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Anybody in and around Stoneybatter area?

wex96 wrote: »
    The only difference I'd make is have your large 1Tb drive external then only plug it in when using photo editing/backups

That is the worst piece of advice I've ever heard. External drives gave their place as backups etc but not as live, functional, mission critical active storage. The interface is stupidly slow, and the interface is prone to failure.

Dave_White wrote: »
    Anybody in and around Stoneybatter area?

I'm not a million miles away. What do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hello,

Would any of you do repairs? The days of me knowing the inside of a PC are long gone! I'm in the D24 area but can travel south Dublin etc.

Sorry if such a request isn't allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

If you post the problem in a new thread we can walk you through a fix. If I had the PC, it'd probably be sitting on my kitchen table for a week or more, if I had to diagnose the problem, order parts and start fixing it after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I know this is an old thread but just wondering if there are people either here or off Boards who build custom PCs for a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

TerrorFirmer http://www.adverts.ie/member/38032 has an account on Adverts where he has a variety of builds. Selling/making money on boards is a no no. Which is why there is a stickied thread at the top of the forum for Adverts, to separate the any potential financial gain from the advice offered here.

Thanks Tadcan, appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I know this is an old thread but just wondering if there are people either here or off Boards who build custom PCs for a fee?
    If you get all the parts I will build it for free for you.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    If you get all the parts I will build it for free for you.

That's very generous. I'll send you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Hi Guys

I can help people in the Clare area mainly Shannon, Ennis.

Thanks
    John

jhud wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I can help people in the Clare area mainly Shannon, Ennis.

Thanks
    John

I can help in Shannon I'll just need a bit of notice

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

I can help in Shannon I'll just need a bit of notice

Thanks Digital but i was offering help. But nice to know more people are willing to help. Even when you account says Galway.

jhud wrote: »
    Thanks Digital but i was offering help. But nice to know more people are willing to help. Even when you account says Galway.

Sorry misread :pac:

Could double up with meeting family in Shannon and giving me and excuse to leave early so Shannon is fairly handy for me :D

My own services fall around Galway, Shannon and South Leitrim/West Cavan though I'd need more notice for the latter two

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Anyone around Kilkenny who can help me out? I've upgrade the CPU, motherboard and GPU and can't get a signal now. I drive so can go to you if you prefer.

Have you still the old CPU?

Try onboard graphics with the GPU removed, then try putting the old CPU in and updating the motherboard BIOS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone around Kilkenny who can help me out? I've upgrade the CPU, motherboard and GPU and can't get a signal now. I drive so can go to you if you prefer.

Take the motherboard out of the case and try it on top of the box the motherboard came with. What CPU and motherboard did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Managed to resolve the issue myself cheers guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, you lads just do this for the craic then?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement