Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We'll build your PC for you

Options
  • 03-03-2011 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I thaught this would be a great idea to start a thread so users who are willing to build a PC for anyone in there area looking to have one built for them.
    I recently decided myself to build PC's for free for any user of this site who. (only charge €20 to other people to stop them from exploiting the service and have me do stupid jobs)

So if your willing to offer to do it for someone post your location.
    If your looking to have a PC builded for you then oviously just come onto this thread and see who's in your area.
    My main reason for doing this (other than having it as a hobby) is so people won't have to pay HWVS €20 to build it for them.
    While €20 isn't alot of money but HWVS have on occasion have builded PC's very sloppy (even tho usually they do a great job) plus they won't mount big CPU Heatsinks or install large GPU's for you not to meantion it dosn't include software installation.

Myself is located in Arklow, Co. Wicklow,
    I don't drive so I cannot travel out of the town.

Really hoping other fellow PC builders on this site is willing to join me on this noble quest :)

PS: Please do not post any phone numbers or E-Mail addresses for obvious safety and anti-spamming reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Stillorgan, co. Dublin here, don't mind building a few as long as people can collect and deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Whooo!
    Ddin't take long for someone to get the ball rolling =D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Stillorgan, co. Dublin here, don't mind building a few as long as people can collect and deliver.

Simular to Simona1986 I'll build a few if they collect and deliver in Artane, Dublin

btw to anyone who is looking for a builder here don't forget to thank them on this thread thats all we ask for

sorry to be spamming my own thread >.< but i forgot to mention i'm also willing to teach anyone in person how to do the build aswell as i do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I can service Dublin's southside postal codes and the city centre.

Assuming this is ok with the mod...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I can do it in Galway city and east county if people are willing to collect and deliver. Nice idea btw but what if some1 breaks something.

yea thaught of that forgot to put in the thread description =S
    was meant to say builders are not responsible for damages so choose at your own risk but that shouldnt be a problem beings that you can always rma ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Limerick University area here. ill teach you how to do it too if you like.

ill also build if you drop off and collect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Dublin 8/City Center here, no car though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

waterford city/county + tipperary south area (conmel, cashel, tipp town etc)

will travel if needed (petrol paid by you)

if its local, ill call around or you come to me (either or i dont mind)

ill teach you everything that happens so you get a full crash course in building the pc yourself.

PM for phone number, im available 5pm onwards in waterford on weekdays
    available all time weekends to travel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I can do in so in Clontarf, if people deliver and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Can't imagine too many people would be interested in this but I'm around Rathgar if anyone needs help.

Also are we volunteering to spec the build to a price and also install Windows etc? Seems to me if someone couldn't even install Windows we could be signing ourselves up to the old "Support for life" role? I already get enough of that from my family :( If someone is willing to learn though I would be willing to go through it with them step by step?

probably pushing my luck here but any chance of putting this thread on sticky so the newbies can always find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Also are we volunteering to spec the build to a price and also install Windows etc?
    I'd suggest or assume that it's totally down to the individual. Some might prefer to only build with parts they spec, while others might be happy to build anything but not get bogged down with the 'selection' side of things.

It's you offering to help the other person, so the ball is most defiantly in your court. As someone that would most defiantly avail of it, I know I wouldn't expect any 'after service support' or place any liability on the person helping me. However, I could be in the minority there, so a very valid concern.

probably pushing my luck here but any chance of putting this thread on sticky so the newbies can always find it?
    Speaking as one of the newbies (wouldn't know the first thing about doing it myself), I can confirm there will be (at least some) demand for it. I'm not sure if the mods will feel it's potentially crossing a line (self promotion? advertising? etc), but it's certainly something I'd be keen to use and find very helpful. Hopefully it falls on the right side of the tracks and if not, that it might be reworked so that it could be done in some manner.

Along with the sticky suggestion, it'd be great to see it kept very on topic and little/no chat (ironic, I know - this should be one of the first deleted), with just the relevant details provided (maybe have it locked and only a mod can update entries? If one were willing to take on the extra work, it might end up requiring less effort than having to moderate a live thread?).

I live in Fairview on Dublin's northside, have built hundreds of PCs over the last decade. Happy to volunteer my services if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

if anyone ever need a hand on putting the parts together in Ratoath :) pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Maynooth, Kildare. Occassionally Rathfarnham, Dublin 16.

I'll build computers, including heatsink replacements, third-party coolers, etc. and I'll also do watercooling. I can do light modding as well - case silencing, anti-vibration, CCFL lighting, etc. - I don't own any powertools, so I can't do heavy case modding, but anything goes really.

I can also help with component choices as well as where to buy. Installing Windows, driver, BIOS updates, problems, etc. all that can be taken care of as well.

Building - and teaching, if wanted - would be free, though I wouldn't mind a tenner or so being thrown my way for troubleshooting, or a WC setup, as they can be a real PITA at times. ;)

If interested, feel free to send me a PM.

come on lads thers more areas of this fine country to cover.

btw to builders please do not post if your looking to charge your service this is a 100% non-profit service so only offer if you really want to do it for non-profit gain and please specify what your willing to do.
    as myself i'm willing to build, teach as i do so, software installation and spccing out desktops =]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I would be willing to do it in the cork city area but it would be nice if i could somehow get references or something for my time as im currently out of work. i dunno would that be feasable though but i just thought id put it out there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Athlone/Roscommon/Longford area. Mainly a collect and deliver, but I can do a few callouts now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

If anyone needs help putting together a build in the Lucan area, I'd be willing to give a hand if I have time.

Can also assist in the Tallaght area during the weekdays when I'm in college, but you'll have to wait after all the classes are done for the day of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Hi folks,
    I'm in the Mayo/Sligo region. IT technician. Pm for details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

If I want someone to build and spec a desktop for me do I PM them or put a request in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

Good thread!

I can do anywhere in Dublin 13/5. Anything from building, repairing, upgrades and installing software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

OOoh, this is growing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

iggy wrote: »
    If I want someone to build and spec a desktop for me do I PM them or put a request in here?

I think iggy best bet would be to PM someone close to you and when the build is done pop back and a little note of thanks would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

In Finglas myself.

Anywhere North Central Dublin, or City Centre I'm available.

I actually (only today) installed Tusky's Corsair H-50 for him as Hardwareversand woudln't install it when building it for him.

I think iggy best bet would be to PM someone close to you and when the build is done pop back and a little note of thanks would be great

Hit the nail on the head there that's exactly what I had in mind =]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

This might be a little work for the OP but might I suggest that the OP has a list of areas around the country with the members offering their services in each?

Would mean people wiuldnt have to trawl through a ghread to find someone, but merely check the list? Obviously all dublin areas kept together, with maybe 'dublin11' or something beside the members name.

Advertisement