Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends in the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BelgradeGirl

What month are you talking about? Because i won't be there till June.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

He's talking about June. :)

I hope to make those beers too. See you there, BG!

Then great! :) I will try to be there too. Nice chance to meet some of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RiccardoITA

Hi guys! I arrived in Galway 20 days ago...looking for job and meet frends here...Any advises?? I saw that in Galway there's many people from every part of the world, in my city (in Italy) there are a weekly meeting of "tandem language" and it's a good idea for improve another language and meet new friends...Is there someting like that? I'm italian mother tongue and i would improve my english (spanish speaking also). Thanks!!

Hi Riccardo,

welcome to Galway! :)

There is a Language Exchange Club going on in Kelly's Bar every Monday evening from 8 PM on. It's good fun as there are a lot of different nationalities, French, German, Spanish (a lot of Spanish!), Brazilian, Irish... There are a few Italians as well! You're very welcome to join. As you walk through the pub, the room we are usually in is behind the bar, you can't miss it, there are flags of all different countries on the tables.

It's a good excuse for having a few week-night drinks and a chat; I've been lazy and always end up speaking English (although it is a foreign language to me, technically)...

Anyway, I'm going in a bit later, so maybe see you there, or any other Monday! :)

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayLingo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is Kelly's still open? I thought they had gone into receivership?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Bazzo wrote: »

Nope tis still going.was saved last minute from what I heard

Are there any Serbs? Not that i want to be with Serbs only, i'm just curious, that's all.

No Serbs so far I don't think, but you could easily change all that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RiccardoITA

Thank you Geekychick!!

I read too late your post to join tonight...but maybe next monday i will there :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bazzo wrote: »

They have, not liquidation.

A receiver has been appointed to take over the day to day running of the business to try and keep it going, that's what receivership is.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

1. Junior Chamber Galway (I was with them for a few years - great bunch of people - just go along to one of their monthly meetings in the Harbour Hotel, www.jcigalway.org) :rolleyes:
    2. www.meetup.com (They have many groups in Galway, dedicated to various passtimes) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MasterZidane

Howdy, anyone up for a meetup this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭miss_aisling

Okay so I am going to be an au pair this summer in galway (july-aug). I will have the weekend off and seeing as I don't know anyone there, I would love to spend some time with people of a similar age to keep me sane! Im 18 and like shopping, video games, talking about random shtuff and long walks on the beach!!! :P

Okay so I am going to be an au pair this summer in galway (july-aug). I will have the weekend off and seeing as I don't know anyone there, I would love to spend some time with people of a similar age to keep me sane! Im 18 and like shopping, video games, talking about random shtuff and long walks on the beach!!! :P

Aisling, drop into the Jigsaw centre in town, they run a service for young people ages 14 - 25 and have a drop in thingy that usually has a few people hanging out most days just chatting etc. should be plenty of 17-20something's for you to meet and make friends with.

http://www.jigsaw.ie/page/what-jigsaw-galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Seaneh wrote: »
    Aisling, drop into the Jigsaw centre in town, they run a service for young people ages 14 - 25 and have a drop in thingy that usually has a few people hanging out most days just chatting etc. should be plenty of 17-20something's for you to meet and make friends with.

http://www.jigsaw.ie/page/what-jigsaw-galway

Jigsaw is a service that provides confidential support for young people who are struggling with mental health issues, generally. They do have a drop in service, but it's not really a place for people to hang out, per se. The youth cafe that is attached, and maintained by Foroige, however, is.

Enjoy the city Aisling.

Jigsaw is a service that provides confidential support for young people who are struggling with mental health issues, generally. They do have a drop in service, but it's not really a place for people to hang out, per se. The youth cafe that is attached, and maintained by Foroige, however, is.

Enjoy the city Aisling.

I meant the cafe, obviously :P

Thanks thats really helpful. Wouldnt even have thought of that :p! From what I hear galway is a beautiful city so i am glad to be spending my summer there! :)

Thanks thats really helpful. Wouldnt even have thought of that :p! From what I hear galway is a beautiful city so i am glad to be spending my summer there! :)

What's this "summer" you speak of?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not Jigsaw aha. I just wouldn't want someone to walk into Jigsaw looking to hang out with people their age and then find something completely different haha.

Do call into the cafe, though. Generally caters to a slightly younger age group, but plenty to check out!

• Advertisement

What's this "summer" you speak of?

Summer, a noun, is a period of 3 consecutive months without rain, legend has it that the sun even makes an appearance! :cool: :eek: I am hoping to find it hidden under a rock in Galway. :P Odds of success?......None

Summer, a noun, is a period of 3 consecutive months without rain, legend has it that the sun even makes an appearance! :cool: :eek: I am hoping to find it hidden under a rock in Galway. :P Odds of success?......None

Sounds like some sort of witchcraft...

Sounds like some sort of witchcraft...

Its the fairies I tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

There's a beers event in the Oslo (which iv yet to visit)
    Im sure there'l be a few from here heading to it.

Oh yeah, anyone looking to meet a few friendly faces, the Oslo bar in salthill next saturday night, there will be about 15ish of us there having a few beers and some chat and probably all end up rat arsed in the roisin dubh by 1.30am. hurrah.

Huzzzah to alcohol! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seamie87

I am in the same boat, newish to galway and don't know many people.
    What time is the beers on at oslo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

About 8pm is the time I gave to the Oslo. Though, I'm sure people will appear in dribs and drabs from then.

Don't leave it too late, however. The nibbles won't last long! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seamie87

About 8pm is the time I gave to the Oslo. Though, I'm sure people will appear in dribs and drabs from then.

Don't leave it too late, however. The nibbles won't last long! ;)

Thanks red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Robert1782_

Hi, I'm looking for partners to play badminton and/or table tennis with in Galway Not sure if this is the right place to post something like this but thought I'd give it a shot, cheers :)

Advertisement