Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Just to let you know. Today (Tuesday) I am trvelling to the dim, distant and totally exotic nation of Ireland for a few days.

I know I will have to live with the barbaric, cruel, hard natives of that far distant land for a while. But with the help of a native guide, and heavily armed with a pack of jammie Wagon Wheels to hold the wild people down, I am confident I will survive.

I will be travelling to the unexplored and never before investigated (By civilised Rubeculas) area known locally as Limerick. This is where it is rumoured the Wild Chucken lives. So please think of me in these unforgiving wastes, and pray I don't fall foul of the Mad Soup eating addiction that is rife there at the moment.

I will also need to take care not to catch the Amazing Fall Down Affliction, carried by certain dark beverages, and very contagious apparently.

I have remembered to pack my protective green rugby shirt, but unsure how well it will guard me against something mysterious called Hurling. I should be there by this evening thanks to the wondrous powers of modern transportation.

Hopefully, the monsoons will have passed too.

see yiz all soon

(The Amazingly brave, and exploratory) Rubes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rube, I have read extensively of a Travel forum on this internet thingy, and can assure you that you will need to bring antibiotics against ticks, all your favourite over the counter medicines as none are available here, bottled water, artificial sweetener, gloves and woolly hat, even in summer, and your international drivers license. Beware of the local electricity supply as it explodes. With those warnings in mind, have a great trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Rubes, are your innoculations up to date? Did you get a visa to enter the county of Limerick? I hope you packed the limerick language lingo and are practising the vocabulary on your journey over...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rubecula went to Limerick
    But he forgot to rhyme
    So the locals did poke
    his faux pas as a joke
    And then he went home again after a nice little visit and some soup.

:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Have a great visit Rubes, and don't worry the natives are friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Recipe for Wild Chucken Soup.....

First catch your wild chucken!

Enjoy your trip Rube. Don't forget to bring the Limerick currency with you. They are known to get tourists to buy them gifts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Rubecula wrote: »
    ....I will be travelling to the unexplored and never before investigated (By civilised Rubeculas) area known locally as Limerick.

Good morning. Here are the news headlines:

Chaos, mayhem, carnage, crime, pestilence and destruction continue to erupt in most parts of the world. Hundreds of journalists are rushing to be photographed in front of debris while wearing designer military gear.

There are as yet unconfirmed reports that Rhianna broke a fingernail yesterday. Photogenic members of her family are at her side. Social media websites have crashed under the burden of concern and well-wishes for a rapid recovery.

And now for the weather outlook........oh, news just in:

Zoologists and bird-watchers from all over Europe are gathering in Limerick today to witness the arrival of a rare and strange birdie known as Rubecula Maximus Nihil Sensus of Direction. Known to have the power of speech, locals are concerned that this visitor will pronounce Limerick with three syllables instead of the correct two. They have raised a petition in biro and organised marches to highlight this concern. An Taoiseach, Inda Kinny, has described the danger to correct pronunciation as "fierce, saw 'tis" but advised that "deh guvvermint has tehken a lawda stips to inshoor a returun to peace an' quite as soon as serkumstensis allow."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ramette wrote: »
    Rubes, are your innoculations up to date? Did you get a visa to enter the county of Limerick? I hope you packed the limerick language lingo and are practising the vocabulary on your journey over...

I'm going to take him to Moyross so he can learn da lingo proper like :)

Chucken wrote: »
    I'm going to take him to Moyross so he can learn da lingo proper like :)

That would sound lovely with the Welsh lilt! :) I think Rube has enough Welsh in him to sing a few lines of Men of Harlech!

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Aaah. Brings me back to memories of Andy Pandy, Bill & Ben and The Woodentops

Strangely, although a leading authority on Torchie Torchie the Battery Boy, I have no memory of the content of Listen With Mother so I must defer to your superior knowledge on these matters. But I do remember being "admonished" for retuning the wurless to hear the LWM theme music.

Here's another theme, from a classical piece (don't panic - it's a very short excerpt). 10/10 if you can identify the TV programme.

Caution: It has a long and very quiet intro until around 1:18. Then......Baadooooom. Be careful with your volume control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtIw5AkUEsE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ha, got it! (I cheated) I knew it rang bells as a theme tune but couldn't think what.

Well, I don't got it. Great piece though. I kept my volume up, and although the brass is at times at the forefront I can deffo imagine sparks flyin' offa dem violins! Wot's the programme then?

looksee wrote: »
    Ha, got it! (I cheated) I knew it rang bells as a theme tune but couldn't think what.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well, I don't got it. Great piece though. I kept my volume up, and although the brass is at times at the forefront I can deffo imagine sparks flyin' offa dem violins! Wot's the programme then?

ITV's version of Panorama, called "This Week".

I'm not clever enough to be a classical music fan but I have maybe a couple of dozen or so classical bits on my in-car wurless, many of which (along with Status Quo) render me a danger on the road.

Here's another short piece below, not as obscure as Sibelius's Karelia Suite but, for me, magical. Again, I heard it first as a child and just couldn't understand how "people" could make something so complex sound so simple and, at the same time, captivating. With stereo headphones, the "teamwork" between the sections of the orchestra - the twiddly bits (technical term) from one side sparkling like jewels on Summer waves from the other side - makes my few remaining hairs stand up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXB2_n3qzU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Back to the present......

Rooting around for some fruit in Aldi this morning a 'wan in ( I guess ) only her 50's was rooting around with me ( hmmmm :) ).

Finding a nice pack I offered same but was rejected with ' der very hard'.

"It'll ripen in no time by the widow" says I, "thats the trouble with youse young wans, youse want everyting now"

Long pause, " its years since I was called a young wan" says she ( 'n if you saw the look in her eye she meant it ...... and more )

I'm off to cool off with L W M

BTW first program of ISIRTA was repeated on R4 Extra yesterday - after The Goons, oh bliss - ( second will be on same time next week )

Ooooooooh, s-w-o-o-n! :rolleyes:

Dia dhuit my friends, yes I have returned to civilization.

the natives proved to be friendly, although I suspect it was to lull yours truly into a sense of false good health.

I was FORCED to sit at a table with some (frankly quite worryingly good bread and butter) and then ... and then ....... A wild Chucken appeared with SOUP in hand (actually it was in a bowl but you know what I mean) Oh no it couldn't be ... but yes it was. It was green, it was a bowl full, and it was LETTUCE soup. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

t'wasn't bad either but don't let Chucken know.
    :D
    All in all, I was quite sad to be coming home. I felt truly at home there. Wonderful people. I am certainly going back as soon as I recover. :)

If you think we are all jealous, you're wrong! You have no idea about the delayed action of lettuce soup1 :D

If you think we are all jealous, you're wrong! You have no idea about the delayed action of lettuce soup1 :D

Believe I do, as of 4 am this morning ...... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

0lddog wrote: »
    BTW first program of ISIRTA was repeated on R4 Extra yesterday - after The Goons, oh bliss - ( second will be on same time next week )

Interesting theory, Mr. Prune. Reminds me of my valve radio, wish I still had it.

You have no idea about the delayed action of lettuce soup1 :D

"Lettuce soup???
    Lettuce not!
    Gurrcake, Sir???
    Hits the spot!"

Rubecula, maybe Chucken had a cunning plan to keep you in Ireland for an extra few days. Now, a couple of pounds of gurrcake in you and you would apply for a green passport.

It may not be available in Limerick (or perhaps it goes under a fancy pseudonym in posh Munster) and I'm advised that the guvverment refuses to give it an export license. But we do have a road all the way from Dublin to Limerick now, big enough for lurries carrying gurrcake, so, next visit, give us some notice and we'll organise an initiation ceremony to the Gurrcake Appreciation Society (GAS). You could add the letters GASTRIC (Gurrcake Appreciation Society, Transitory Resident, Ireland Cymru) to your name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Rubecula wrote: »
    Dia dhuit my friends, yes I have returned to civilization.

the natives proved to be friendly, although I suspect it was to lull yours truly into a sense of false good health.

I was FORCED to sit at a table with some (frankly quite worryingly good bread and butter) and then ... and then ....... A wild Chucken appeared with SOUP in hand (actually it was in a bowl but you know what I mean) Oh no it couldn't be ... but yes it was. It was green, it was a bowl full, and it was LETTUCE soup. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

t'wasn't bad either but don't let Chucken know.
    :D
    All in all, I was quite sad to be coming home. I felt truly at home there. Wonderful people. I am certainly going back as soon as I recover. :)

Well Rubes, I had thought about you running away from the table and luckily I had restraints to hand...so sad I didn't have to use them :D

The pleasure was all ours btw :)
    It was like meeting an old friend. Ya I said old :pac:

I really must point out that Master Rubes split his time between Limerick city and beautiful East Clare and I live in East Clare...not Limerick..no sireee!

Well Rubes, I had thought about you running away from the table and luckily I had restraints to hand...so sad I didn't have to use them :D

The pleasure was all ours btw :)
    It was like meeting an old friend. Ya I said old :pac:

Chucken me dear it was truly wonderful for this oul sod to meet you all :)
    I really must point out that Master Rubes split his time between Limerick city and beautiful East Clare and I live in East Clare...not Limerick..no sireee!

Yeah sorry about that bit but I am an Englishman and I get confuffled easily xxx :P

Super moon tonight it is full and very close to the earth so is 40% larger and 30% brighter than normal...

MOON DANCE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

0.jpg

oooh the craters!

The moon in greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

BBDBB wrote: »
    0.jpg

oooh the craters!
    Ooh, I didn't know you were lurking in the bushes BB!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

these heat seeking cameras don't work themselves you know ;)

Great to see you again Alice xxx Yer dance worked by the way. The moon came last night. :)

• Advertisement

Remember when the refugees would return from a month in the Gaeltacht and they would have those "can't remember the English word for...." spasms? In my hometown, we would lie in ambush and sweep them off to the boozer before they lost the cúpla focal. There, we would produce guitars, ply the Gaelgoirs with apple-flavoured plonk and await the results.

Well, I awoke this morning, well and truly earwormed by the product of one such evening. Tom Jones had been in the charts for what seemed like years with the dirge in 3/4 time about "Delilah". We had some difficulty playing in waltz time but we knew the chords and pointed our returned exiles towards the opening verse. Extracts of the brave effort from one of the lady refugees remained suppressed and dormant in my head.....until this morning.

…I feiced the solus on the oíche I passed by her fuinneog,
    I feiced the flickering shadows of grá on her blind
    She was mo coilín
    As she deceived me I feiced and went out of mo ceann.....

.....At break of lá when that fear drove away, I was ag fannacht
    I crossed the sráid to her tig and she ocailt the doras

She stood ag gáire
    I felt the scian in mo lámh
    And she gáired no more

(All as a chéile anois)

Mo mo mo Delilah
    Cén fáth Delilah
    So, in ndiaigh
    They come to bris síos the doras
    Forgive me Delilah I'm just not ábalta tóg anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement