Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'm tempted to link to a trailer of the new WonderWoman film just to see if Brenz can take the strain. :D

There's a Wonder Woman fillum? With Linda Carter? Hot pants? Knee boots? Double D's in golden cups? Flashing blue eyes and neon smile?

Meh!
    Mrs. BrensBenz is still in her jammies at 10:50AM and yiz know what that means. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGDvDGE7zk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Wonder Woman will be a crucial character in the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice film, with Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill playing the title roles respectively
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/movie-news/first-look-gal-gadot-as-wonder-woman-debuts-at-comic-con-30462535.html

Link to image: http://cdn3.independent.ie/incoming/article30462534.ece/58418/ALTERNATES/w620/BtfLEsmIYAANa8M.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

BrensBenz wrote: »
    I can thoroughly recommend BBC Radio 4 Extra for almost all of those shows (should be on your fancy statalite)......

You can even pick it up on t'internet. Works grand for me with a dodgy 3G signal.
    Meh!
    Mrs. BrensBenz is still in her jammies at 10:50AM and yiz know what that means. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGDvDGE7zk

That reminds me. What exactly is Moral Turpitude ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Good Lord, I've stumbled onto the set of Big Bang Theory! :eek:

Bazinga!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got totally sidetracked into reading the comments under that you tube video, especially Martha's contributions. Bless.

0lddog wrote: »

Not sure! My guess is it's blessed turps from Knock but I always use Holy Ghost white spirit. Try the DIY forum - they know everything.

OldGoat wrote: »

I'm sure that Gal Gadot(?) is a grand young wan but there's only one Lynda Carter, i.e. Miss America 1973.

And the movie appears to be yet another Hollywood doomy, gloomy, CGI-fest remake, written by a committee, cashing in on the work of their dads.

Now, the 1936 series of Flash Gordon is another matter entirely:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8BFrd1ckSw

I can't find the clip but Ming the Merciless is pursuing Flash Gordon, at hypersonic speed, across a distant galaxy in their plywood spacecraft. There just happened to be a camera travelling at the same hyperspeed, in the next lane, which caught the pursuit for posterity but not for YouTube yet.

Unable to overtake Flash, Ming launches a super atomic, radiowave guided miss'l with a really sharp point at the front. The miss'l's thrust / exhaust ports emit smoke and sparkles, like.........a sparkler as it performs a parabola towards Flash's ship. Luckily, Flash sees the miss'l in his rearview mirror and swerves just in time. Dale Arden tells Flash how great he is and they all have a merry laugh and go home.

Now THAT'S sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

I'm sure that Gal Gadot(?) is a grand young wan but there's only one Lynda Carter, i.e. Miss America 1973.

Better still...there's only one Brigette Bardot
    Now THAT'S sci-fi.

Ain't she just :D:D:D

I know yiz all have been sitting on tenterhooks (or is it tenderhooks? But hooks ain't tender!) dying to know where and when you can watch Murdoch Mysteries. Well I'll put ye out of yer misery, he is on Alibi at all times of the day and night. They seek him here, they seek him there, and he keeps popping up everywhere, 12 midnight tonight, possibly 8am or 9am some mornings, 12 midday other days and God knows when else. You will need to creep up on him in order to record the programme and watch it at your leisure and all the programmes are not linked so you might not get to record them all in one go but sure try one anyway. He has a policeman sidekick who looks like Eric Idle, and a mot who only seems to have one set of clothing, a pale blue and white number which she wore in the last three episodes we watched. Murdoch himself walks with a wooden plank down the back of his shirt and rarely moves his head, with hardly a twitch of a eyebrow to show that he is alive! Make some popcorn! Y'gotta watch it! :D

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I know yiz all have been sitting on tenterhooks (or is it tenderhooks? But hooks ain't tender!) dying to know where and when you can watch Murdoch Mysteries. Well I'll put ye out of yer misery, he is on Alibi at all times of the day and night. They seek him here, they seek him there, and he keeps popping up everywhere, 12 midnight tonight, possibly 8am or 9am some mornings, 12 midday other days and God knows when else. You will need to creep up on him in order to record the programme and watch it at your leisure and all the programmes are not linked so you might not get to record them all in one go but sure try one anyway. He has a policeman sidekick who looks like Eric Idle, and a mot who only seems to have one set of clothing, a pale blue and white number which she wore in the last three episodes we watched. Murdoch himself walks with a wooden plank down the back of his shirt and rarely moves his head, with hardly a twitch of a eyebrow

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Alibi either but I did Google Murdoch and it sounds like.............multiple disasters, packaged in layers of opportunities for further error. Google quotes:
    • Set in Toronto, so the accents will be wrong;
    • Set in 1895, so the props will be wrong;
    • Written by a committee, so the dialogue will be wrong;
    • Made in North America, so the fashions, hair-dos, etc. will be wrong;
    • Murdoch solves many of his cases using methods of detection that were not invented at the time, e.g. fingerprinting, blood testing, surveillance and trace evidence.
    • He also "invents" a primitive version of sonar to locate a sunken ship in Lake Ontario.
    • Then he invents wire-tapping, colour photography and, after tea, he transmits this colour photo......by fax!

However, being an expert at spotting dangers, I think the North American censorship authorities should invent a new classification to protect their audiences from this stuff, not based on age but on whether they laugh at it or not. Non-laughers should not be allowed to watch it because, as we know, constant repetition of cr@p in North America becomes "fact" in their little heads, e.g. Henry Ford invented the car; the Pilgrim Fathers brought religious "tolerance" to America; pointy-toed, high-heeled, multi-coloured boots are......menswear!

I will seek out Murdoch but, in the meantime, let there be not so much as a hint of slagging of Midsomer Murders: Joyce Barnaby (Jane Wymark) is in it and she is just fabbalus. And since the conclusion of Poirot, I'm still having withdrawal symptoms for the equally fabbalus Miss Lemon (Pauline Moran). I haven't quite warmed to Foyle's driver, Sam, yet but give me time.

The Joyce Barnaby character always joined clubs and committees just so she would be in the middle of yet another murdurrrr. I think she was hungry for a little attention from her husband Tom. They also made her a rotten cook so everyone could make fun of her. I always felt sorry for her.

All that stuff Brens listed about Murdoch Mysteries is actually true, but you just have to watch it for the chuckles. Last week he invented a metal detector which looked like a big wooden (yes, wooden!) ploughshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

0lddog wrote: »

A kind of paint stripper?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Joyce Barnaby.....was hungry for a little attention from her husband Tom. They also made her a rotten cook so everyone could make fun of her

Tom might be great at skidding around Midsomer in his Jag / Volvo, every week, solving mihdahs just in time for the News, but he walks with his arms extended like a penguin's wings and is therefore entirely unworthy to share scenes with the fragrant.....Ms. Jane Wymark.

Her inability to cook is yet another charming attraction. Any deserving suitor would be privileged to take her out to eat. Ahhhhhh! Just imagine gazing across a small, candle-lit table, into THAT face, framed by her short, Barnaby hair-do and reflected in the silverware, while sprinkling vinegar on your wedgie chips!

Picture goes all fuzzy and wavy......doo doo doo doo....doo doo doo doo....

Or high tea with Miss Lemon! With gurrcake!

Rubecula wrote: »
    A kind of paint stripper?
    Genuine "Laugh Out Loud" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Well no need to water the plants today!

tis a bit moist out there isn't it?

You are such a bold strap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Sun shining all day here in the Kingdom:D:D

Ramette wrote: »
    Well no need to water the plants today!

Our Ponderosa always floods when we have torrential rain so our garden is now a moat and will be for a couple of days. Our green bin set sail during the night and is heading for Rubeculand but several messages in bottles have been washed up in the long grass which should make interesting reading later.

Unfortunately, our fosterwoof hurt his paw last week and had to go to the vet. He came home yesterday with a PINK bandage and auntiebionic tablets to keep him drowsy for a few days. The pink bandage has to be kept dry until Tuesday or we will be accused of all sorts on social media and reality TV shows.

Now, sooner or later, he will need to weewee but, as I say, his private bathroom has become part of the Irish Sea. He really doesn't like being carried - goes all growly - but he is putting some weight on his sore paw. However, that paw is a no-go area for all personnel and attempting to fit him with woofwellies could be hazardous.

Hmmm! Do I overdose him with his drowsy pills, wait for him to drop, don waders, carry him to high ground, wait for him to perform, give him more drowsy pills, wait for him to drop again, carry him home? Also, remember, he's a boy dog so he could be down to TWO legs during his performance, requiring some planning and concentration on his part, neither of which would be in great supply after an overdose of auntiebionics and failure to remain upright would not improve his mood.

All suggestions from the fonts of wisdom known as Os&Os welcome.

• Advertisement

Point to the pink bandage, tell him he's is now a girl and he might squat to pee instead of lifting his leg????

Ramette wrote: »
    Point to the pink bandage, tell him he's is now a girl and he might squat to pee instead of lifting his leg????

Hmmm, you mean persuade him to swim onto high ground, while holding his pink bandage over his head, become a girl dog on command, weewee, swim home, again with his sore paw in the air? Well................dunno!

Hold on! I have an inflatable dinghy! Sail to the back door, woof embarks, sail to the water's edge, woof disembarks, weewees, climbs back onboard for the voyage home. Brilliant!

Thanks, Ramette, from me and from the woof's bladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hold on! I have an inflatable dinghy! Sail to the back door, woof embarks, sail to the water's edge, woof disembarks, weewees, climbs back onboard for the voyage home. Brilliant!

Thanks, Ramette, from me and from the woof's bladder.

Any chance of a video? Especially of woof jumping in and out of dinghy :P

Put the woof onto your back, swim to dry land, deinstall woof from back, let woof lean against you, do his business ( making sure he doesn't pee against the prevailing wind) woof climbs up again, you swim back to base.. Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I have it!
    il_340x270.563103009_i5ci.jpg
    ..and hope the breeze blows him homeward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Chucken wrote: »
    I have it!
    il_340x270.563103009_i5ci.jpg
    ..and hope the breeze blows him homeward.

hmm, must be an Air-edale Terrier

Our Ponderosa always floods when we have torrential rain so our garden is now a moat and will be for a couple of days. Our green bin set sail during the night and is heading for Rubeculand but several messages in bottles have been washed up in the long grass which should make interesting reading later.

Unfortunately, our fosterwoof hurt his paw last week and had to go to the vet. He came home yesterday with a PINK bandage and auntiebionic tablets to keep him drowsy for a few days. The pink bandage has to be kept dry until Tuesday or we will be accused of all sorts on social media and reality TV shows.

Now, sooner or later, he will need to weewee but, as I say, his private bathroom has become part of the Irish Sea. He really doesn't like being carried - goes all growly - but he is putting some weight on his sore paw. However, that paw is a no-go area for all personnel and attempting to fit him with woofwellies could be hazardous.

Hmmm! Do I overdose him with his drowsy pills, wait for him to drop, don waders, carry him to high ground, wait for him to perform, give him more drowsy pills, wait for him to drop again, carry him home? Also, remember, he's a boy dog so he could be down to TWO legs during his performance, requiring some planning and concentration on his part, neither of which would be in great supply after an overdose of auntiebionics and failure to remain upright would not improve his mood.

All suggestions from the fonts of wisdom known as Os&Os welcome.

There could be a secondary use for those bottles that that the strange messages wash up in. (Wonders just what is so urgent you have to write it in a note form and post it in a glass bottle .... must be pretty fast way of getting a message out compared to the postal system we have here.) Well you pick up a bottle (after carefully removing said message) and then sneak up on doggykins. Drowsy pills may help here. Pass them round too as nobody wants to see how you attache doggykins to the bottle. Problem solved, when full, remove bottle in reverse proceedure to fitment and re-post. Replace with second bottle. :cool:

Rubecula wrote: »
    ...Drowsy pills may help here...

:D:D:D

Hrrrmmmffff! Yizzar all very smart, so yizzar!
    • No vidgeo - I was fully occupied, piloting and providing propulsion for the bubbleboat;
    • Getting woof onboard was easy - smelly treat on floorboards and later, on backdoor mat;
    • In woof's head, being "worn" like a scarf or backpack is considered being carried - he doesn't like being carried;
    • As for "Air-dale Terrier", did I ever tell you about Ardelle, a colleague in Dallas, who arrived in work one day with a 1980's perm?
    • The bottle idea is intriguing though. Does he weewee into it or wear it as a personal flotation device?

Anyway, at morning four bells today, as I peered out of my bedroom porthole, I saw that the waters had subsided. Then a dove appeared, carrying an olive branch, though it might have been a seagull with some lettuce. "We're saved" sang the crew, as woof stared at me in grateful admiration, realising that he would not have to sit cross-legged again, while I inflated the bubbleboat.

He doesn't know yet but his pink bandage comes off tomorrow. It must be welded on because, despite days of effort from him, he hasn't been able to get any grip on it to pull it off. Industrial strength drowsy pills WILL be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I can thoroughly recommend BBC Radio 4 Extra for almost all of those shows (should be on your fancy statalite).

This (first link below) always comes to mind when remembering wurless programmes from a distant past. Just skip past the "Aw yawh sitting comfawtehbleh....then Ah'll begin" and wallow in the lovely, simple choon on the piano. Blissful.

http://www.televisiontunes.com/Listen_With_Mother.html

Aaah. Brings me back to memories of Andy Pandy, Bill & Ben and The Woodentops

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement