Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

BBDBB wrote: »
    Learn history with people who lived through it

You talkin' 'bout ME Willis? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    You can join too. 'Tis free, and online, just Google Futurelearn. Why don't ye all come too?

Too busy gallivanting, misbehaving and growing old disgracefully :D:D:D

Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book Hen, I like that look of complete abandonment you always have! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Anybody wanna swop some WideAwake pills for some SleepyTime pills? I seem to be in tad lethargic this morning and my usual pint of coffee has failed me.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OG sorry you are having sleepy time problems. Here is my remedy. Go to Aldi and buy as much Spanish Drinking Chocolate you can find before its all sold out. Take a double dose at bedtime. Its a yummy, scrummy, cosy-comfy, soothy, soft-kitty kinda meddy-sin. I guarantee whether you sleep or not, you will feel rather mellow after it. And not a funny cigarette or brownie in sight! :)

• Advertisement

Sleeping is not the issue. I sleep well. I can sleep anywhere. I could even sleep h...ZZzzzzzZzzzzzzZ

It's the staying awake that I'm having an issue with today. :)

OldGoat wrote: »
    Sleeping is not the issue. I sleep well. I can sleep anywhere. I could even sleep h...ZZzzzzzZzzzzzzZ

It's the staying awake that I'm having an issue with today. :)

Dang, another of my senior moments! Dang! Apoligies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

MOON DANCE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Good on ya Chucken. Off on out there and shake those feathers:D

Would join you myself but this little hen is off to bed early tonight as heading to France tomorrow to restock the cellar!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

:( I want to be goin' somewhere.

Have a great time, send us a postcard :)

*Le sigh*

• Advertisement

I noticed the fabulous moon tonight. It was beautiful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

I was beautiful too - as I danced 'neath the silvery light of the moon...

Oh I feel another song coming on and I'll even sing the backing too.....

By the light (bythelight bythelight)
    Of the silvery moon (silverymoon silverymoon)
    I want to spoon, (I want to spoon)
    To my honey I'll croon love's toooone
    Ah-Honey moon (honeymoon honeymoon)
    Keep a shinin' in June (oo oo oo oone)
    Your silvery beams
    Will bring love's dreams
    We'll be cuddlin' sooooon
    By the silvery mooooooon
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your silvery beams
    Will bring love's dreams
    By the silvery mooooooon

Banned! Thrice banned! I have been humming that dratted tune (with backing) all morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

........himself is dying to see dem links to gittorists. He's keen on the gittores made from trees, he hugs it all the time!

Great moon last night too. It rose out of the sea and immediately cast a lovely golden light over the beach.

Anyway, apologies for absense again - dem docs are gett'n fierce serious with dare chemo. I now have side-effects from the remedies for side-effects.

I've attached three links to samples of wooden gittore playing. It's very difficult to pick music for strangers so I've picked three completely different johnraz - you may not like the music much but what they have in common is that the players are technically superb. Mr. Youtube has loads of backup, if required.

And, I know yizzall think that playing a gittore is easy-peasy and, well, strumming a few chords in a pub singsong isn't too difficult, but these players perform miracles while making it look so easy. Indeed, one of them doesn't even have the use of all the fingers on his left hand!!!! Yet he is regarded by most top jazz and rock gittorists as the Master - Django Reinhart. On this link, recorded in the 1930's, he is playing with the marvellous Stephane Grappelli on violin. Remember, one microphone, one take! No mixing, no dubbing, no auto-correction. "Get it right or do it all again."

The second player's soul resides in his battered instrument. I worked in Spain for a year or so - hated every minute of it - but I saw this guy playing live in Madrid. Until then, I thought I was making some progress on my gittore but his level of skill and passion is beyond description - Manitas de Plata.

One of Paul Simon's (Simon and Garfunkel) 1970's solo albums listed the third player as a session musician. Later, I came across an LP by him which was a collection of ragtime tunes ("My Creole Belle" (not available on CD)). I was intrigued by the hand-written sleeve notes which included tunings, chords, his address and an invitation to contact him for hints on how to play the tunes! And yes, I did! And he replied!!! He's no singer and he tends to speak hints over his playing, as if giving a class, but he's a wonderful, clean, crisp player, making something horrendously difficult look effortless - Stefan Grossman.

I hope Mr. Jellybaby likes some of this stuff. I'm fairly confident that he will be unable to keep his feet from tapping. And maybe his jaw will drop, as mine does, every time I listen to these geniuses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpO5xIltlyU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eex1aqbfP08
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMICKJQMldA

Your silvery beams
    Will bring love's dreams
    By the silvery mooooooon
    looksee wrote: »
    Banned! Thrice banned! I have been humming that dratted tune (with backing) all morning...

Ah no! It's a grand little tune, and, big and ugly as I am, I go all mushy when I remember it being beautifully delivered, in black and white, by some bloke.......and Doris Day, in her ribbons and sparkly eyes.

I once watched a musical! Does that mean I'm gay? Don't care! "Now, I shout it from the highest hill" - anyone who reminds us of Doris Day should have lifetime immunity from banning......and free gurrcake.

Free the Jellybaby 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah no! There is nothing wrong with the tune (tho 'Now I shout it...' is coming close behind in hummability) it's the fact that it is among the tunes that turn into earworms in my head. 'I drempt I dwelt in marble halls' is another. There seems to be a common (very aged) theme here.

OK JB, I take it back, ye waz never banned *ingratiating grin*

Bans JB, just for giggles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am giggling ;)

Whaat! :eek: Have I achieved sainthood already? So chuffed!

I feel pretty
    Oh so pretty
    I feel pretty and witty and g

y'know that song's just been ruined by the modern generation!

• Advertisement

*looks at Jellybaby and thinks "Not only the song hon. I am not what I was either."

BrensBenz wrote: »
    ...Free the Jellybaby 1.

I'm freeee, freee at last! Wheeeeee!
    Bans JB, just for giggles. :D

Well that's just mean! But as I've just escaped you should watch yer back now! :P

Don't know if yiz bother with FaceAche or Twatter but FaceAche informs Mrs. BrensBenz who informs me today that "approx 50 dolfrins" have been spotted swimming (as opposed to strolling) between Skerries and Rush, Co. Dublin (Fingal??), as of like now. I'm guessing that "50" means "maybe 10" but still.........I'm off to meet Flipper and his buddies! Now where's my waterproof camera? Hope the outdoor motor starts.

Burlesque night ahead. Time for my first G&T. :cool:

Enjoy it OG, oh and pictures. We want pictures :D

"So, how was your weekend John?"
    "Oh you know, same ol' same ol'."

<SNIP>

Photo by the delicious Hector Heathwood (HectorHeathwood.com - NSFW)
    Taken at the Burlesque and Cabaret Social Club Sept 2014 https://www.facebook.com/BCSCDUBLIN

So, a boring old night of debauchery I suppose?

I could barely contain my ennui.

:D

"So, how was your weekend John?"
    "Oh you know, same ol' same ol'."

<SNIP>

As yiz know, after a very sheltered childhood, I matured into a delicate flower. So, when I saw that photo pre-snip, and combined it with previous references here to alcohol, burlesque, prescription drugs, disorderly behavior, disobedience, lettuce soup and general naughtiness, I thought "OK, that's it! Unfollow Os and Os."

While waiting for a passing seven-year old to show me how to unfollow, I tuned into an American preacher show, hoping that the shouting preaching would bring calm to my troubled mind. As he cherry-picked snippets from Old and New testament, the minister mentioned "forgive us our trespasses" so I'm postponing the unfollow for now but remain just as disturbed, traumatised and devistayhid as most guests on Jeremy Kyle.

Perhaps I'll spend some hours flower arranging - I may be gone for some time.

OG, please PM details of tour dates, times, locations, dress code, etiquette, secret passwords, etc. of this burlesque scene so that I can..........stand outside with a placard.

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »
    OG, please PM details of tour dates, times, locations, dress code, etiquette, secret passwords, etc. of this burlesque scene so that I can..........stand outside with a placard.
    I have spied some O&O's lurking in the crowd on previous occasions. :cool:
    Though I won't swear to it I'm sure I saw NURSE there in a scandalously inappropriate uniform.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement