Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    :eek: So you've joined AH? Well you can't say you weren't warned. You have seen my scars, and those of Brens and other O & O's and you still went on a date with them. For shame Chuckie, for shame. :(

Half my posts are there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Chucken wrote: »
    Half my posts are there :P

You haven't dedicated your life to us, and us alone? :eek:
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Must close threads circa 10,000 posts but moving onto Vol. 2 early is no problem (and may even be preferable).
    Personally I'd like to see a change of title too but thats just me.

I think there was a request ages ago for a new name. Did we come up with anything better?

How about 'Silverware'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

There's only been about 500 posts here since New Year. At that rate of going we have at least 2 years* before we hit 10,000 posts :eek:

(*Did I mention I'm no good at maths)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Must close threads circa 10,000 posts but moving onto Vol. 2 early is no problem (and may even be preferable).
    Personally I'd like to see a change of title too but thats just me.

Ah yes, number of posts not number of pages :D. Go for it OG - any suggestions for the new name? It has been a bit quiet in here, not too many new names either...maybe we should have a recruitment drive :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Names ok how about

"Growing Old Disgracefully"

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

looksee wrote: »
    It has been a bit quiet in here, not too many new names either...maybe we should have a recruitment drive :P

I hope you guys/gals don't mind if I hang out here for a few hours.

I have a bottle of excellent rose, bought in a Tesco Wine Sale, and I am afraid it might go off.

So, I have a significant birthday coming up soon , and the pressure is on.

My youngest who is abroad, keeps Skyping to see if I have completed the list of invitees.
    It will be at home, as my O/H loves a full house,and puts on a great spread, last significant one we had 50 turn up, and she wants to recreate that.

So, my Best Man, well I see him about twice a year, and he has turned into a hyper- religious boring fart.
    My brother, a semi/alcoholic, who is separated, but his ex/ missus is coming as well.
    My sisters in law, all separated or widowed, I swear I am the only man, among a long line of sisters.

Now I enjoyed the bash 10 yrs ago, but this time I am not so sure, definitely as the years progress, an all nighter, looks less attractive.

So join me for a glass, and share your thoughts.

Never worry about wine going off in here, it is never around long enough:D

A glass would be lovely thanks.

Now your dilemma, let's see. If you don't want a "do" don't have a "do". For one big birthday I was under some pressure 'to do something', 'you have to mark the occasion', so I did. Myself and The Rooster (aka Mr Layinghen) got on a plane to Florida the morning of my birthday. Sent a text to ringleader of pressure group to say pass around the word 'Hen has left the building'.

The year the Rooster had a big birthday and what he wanted was no party and fuss etc but for the year of the big 0 every month we would go somewhere. It could be anything from a week or two abroad to a night away in Ireland, once every month had a trip. Must say that is working out great.

So now something for you to think about........

Ah my glass has suddenly got empty you haven't finished the bottle have you??????

Layinghen wrote: »
    Never worry about wine going off in here, it is never around long enough:D

A glass would be lovely thanks.

Now your dilemma, let's see. If you don't want a "do" don't have a "do". For one big birthday I was under some pressure 'to do something', 'you have to mark the occasion', so I did. Myself and The Rooster (aka Mr Layinghen) got on a plane to Florida the morning of my birthday. Sent a text to ringleader of pressure group to say pass around the word 'Hen has left the building'.

The year the Rooster had a big birthday and what he wanted was no party and fuss etc but for the year of the big 0 every month we would go somewhere. It could be anything from a week or two abroad to a night away in Ireland, once every month had a trip. Must say that is working out great.

So now something for you to think about........

Ah my glass has suddenly got empty you haven't finished the bottle have you??????

No, pass over your glass,

So in the past, I have enjoyed the Big Bash, it's just the attempts to repeat previous events, I am not sure about.

It's a bit like Xmas when the decorations have to be laid out in exactly the same order. And the tree has to be in the same place.

Anyway, herself is 10months younger, so the overseas trip, for her significant, is being quietly planned.
    The off-spring have been given a target of 10days in the US of A .

Anyone else for a glass of Rose.

Alcohol, lots of alcohol that's what you need ;)

Often parties that you are dreading turn out to be the best ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Considering my near miss last year I want to be referred to as a Coffin Dodger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Layinghen wrote: »
    ...every month we would go somewhere. It could be anything from a week or two abroad to a night away in Ireland, once every month had a trip.

Both Mr. and Mrs. BrensBenz are facing significant birthdays this year, one which, for about 18 months, I didn't think I'd reach. These days, we are expected to celebrate these events in a certain way (i.e. ape American TV) but I'm with the "Rooster" on this - no time for choreographed jollity - any "do" would have to be small and quiet. But the idea of a series of trips really appeals. And the more spontaneous the better.

However, Mrs. BrensBenz just loves hooleying, sometimes till near midnight! For her last big "0", during our annual cruise on Lough Erne, family and friends suddenly "appeared" as we sat down for her birthday dinner in an Enniskillen hotel. She was deloyrah, especially when the hotel staff, resident musicians and other guests all joined in on the "SURPRISE" and chorus of "Happy Birthday".

Mock not - we're simple folk! And, even after almost 10 years, that evening gets more airtime than any of the "money-no-object" parties before or since.

Chucken wrote: »
    I had the great pleasure to meet some Boardsies at the weekend. Not just Boardsies, but After Hours Boardsies!!!

Guess what? They're all lovely :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057196480
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    :eek: So you've joined AH? Well you can't say you weren't warned. You have seen my scars, and those of Brens and other O & O's and you still went on a date with them. For shame Chuckie, for shame. :(

Yeah, yeah, meeting AH'ers is quite brave but real men and female shot putters venture into "Motors". Best to have the ambulance on its way before clicking "Submit Reply".

So the consensus is Alcohol........probably right.

I will inform the offspring, to reduce the Budget, for Food, and increase the Budget towards Alcohol.

One feature I forgot to mention, as my offspring are " earning" they have opened their wallets, so some of that Invesment we made in their Education is finally paying off.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah, meeting AH'ers is quite brave but real men and female shot putters venture into "Motors". Best to have the ambulance on its way before clicking "Submit Reply".

No, you should try a post or two, in Construction & Planning, it's populated by architects, who might sound tame, they can really bite/bitch,

You should see my PM inbox.

There is a big row going on about Minister Hogan, they even drag in Joe Duffy.

martinn123 wrote: »
    No, you should try a post or two, in Construction & Planning, it's populated by architects, who might sound tame, they can really bite/bitch,

I thought that inter-forum criticism was a mortaller and a hanging offence! There are O's & O's in here who will tell Matron on ya. You're not supposed to say or even suggest that the residents of other fora are prone to speed reading posts and anxious to take offence at the merest hint of an opinion which doesn't match theirs in every molecular detail.

Anyway, regarding architects: they are hindered by the fact that some of them see themselves as artists when, in reality, they were just good at Maths and using a ruler, while being unable to communicate with other humans.

I'm tee / tea total and my industrial strength valium is running low so please, oh please don't copy that into Construction and Planning.

Completely off-topic I know but, whilst lurking on boards earlier today, I came across a thread discussing (once again) whether the Gardai should be armed. Much abuse was hurled at the OP because he spelt Gardai incorrectly and there were also some intellectual gems about breakfast rolls and burgers but, after much thought, I composed and posted an eminently sensible response to the actual question.

Well, imagine my dismay when later checking to see how many people were upset by my eminently sensible response to the actual question, I found the thread was gone, vanished, like nutt'n left Joe.

Unfortunately, I failed to keep a copy of my eminently sensible response to the actual question so now I don't know what to think about arming the Gardai. I seem to remember suggesting that the Gardai themselves would have the best opinion on whether they needed weapons or not but I may have said this to ingratiate myself with our wonderful Gardai.

My latest case comes up next week so, if any of yiz know what happened to the thread, please let me know.

I am quite fed up just now.

I have a particularly excellent bottle of Vina Albali for celebrating my last big surgery. I can almost taste it ...... They keep postponing the op. (Sob sob sob)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No, you should try a post or two, in Construction & Planning, it's populated by architects, who might sound tame, they can really bite/bitch
    When you p1ss on a dog you're liable to get bit :D

I hope you deleted mine ;)

Poor Phil. History will show that he is / will be the the most unpopular DoE minister ever in the history of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Completely off-topic I know but, whilst lurking on boards earlier today, I came across a thread discussing (once again) whether the Gardai should be armed. Much abuse was hurled at the OP because he spelt Gardai incorrectly and there were also some intellectual gems about breakfast rolls and burgers but, after much thought, I composed and posted an eminently sensible response to the actual question.

Well, imagine my dismay when later checking to see how many people were upset by my eminently sensible response to the actual question, I found the thread was gone, vanished, like nutt'n left Joe.

Unfortunately, I failed to keep a copy of my eminently sensible response to the actual question so now I don't know what to think about arming the Gardai. I seem to remember suggesting that the Gardai themselves would have the best opinion on whether they needed weapons or not but I may have said this to ingratiate myself with our wonderful Gardai.

My latest case comes up next week so, if any of yiz know what happened to the thread, please let me know.
    You mean this post my friend.

22ao7c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Brens, you sure do look for trouble! What happened after that, did they slap your wrist and send you to bed early without your milk and cookies?

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    You mean this post my friend.

Yep, that's it. So, how did ya find it? Huh?

I'm guessing that the post was deleted, perhaps because of inappropriate responses(?) I hope I wasn't the cause of the deletion as I have a lot of respect for the guards. They seem to suffer more than most from meddling by transient politicians and other non-experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Yep, that's it. So, how did ya find it? Huh?

I'm guessing that the post was deleted, perhaps because of inappropriate responses(?) I hope I wasn't the cause of the deletion as I have a lot of respect for the guards. They seem to suffer more than most from meddling by transient politicians and other non-experts.

I believe the mods of after hours delete threads if there's loads about the same thing. Might not be one post in particular. If you pm a mod of AH they'd tell you. As to how I got your post I looked at google cache and found it.

Rubecula wrote: »

I have a particularly excellent bottle of Vina Albali for celebrating my last big surgery. I can almost taste it ...... They keep postponing the op. (Sob sob sob)

But, but they take blood samples before surgery and if it's mostly alcohol, they won't operate. It's in the constitooshun.

They also check stuff like the position and straightness of your signature on the surgery consent form or whether you burst into spontaneous song.

Take the pledge and I bet your surgery will go ahead as planned. If and when, best of luck and get well soon.

Now Rube you know how understanding the NHS can be. Just tell them you have a nice bottle of wine at home and it needs to be opened. I am sure they will accommodate you. Also if you tell them you pay your National Insurance for a medical service and you expect it immediately, they love hearing that line ;)

Anyway how have you managed to keep a nice Spanish red hidden from us for so long....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I thought that inter-forum criticism was a mortaller and a hanging offence! There are O's & O's in here who will tell Matron on ya. ...
    Matron sees all and Matron knows all.
    Inter forum bitching is long frowned on as it's proved to be a real pain. No one wins. We came to the rule on a tide of bitterness and bile and TBH all the forums are better for it. Talking about the other fora is grand but what tends to happens is that arguments get dragged across ending up with infighting and all round narkiness.
    For example an architect may see a reference to themselves here and post an opinion. However as there is an amount of infighting at the moment another architect with an opposing view will feel that he has to put the record straight and he'll post a rebuttal. The thread soon becomes a two poster battle of wits in the wrong forum leaving us O&O's scared and bewildered.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Matron sees all and Matron knows all.
    Inter forum bitching is long frowned on as it's proved to be a real pain. No one wins. We came to the rule on a tide of bitterness and bile and TBH all the forums are better for it. Talking about the other fora is grand but what tends to happens is that arguments get dragged across ending up with infighting and all round narkiness.
    For example an architect may see a reference to themselves here and post an opinion. However as there is an amount of infighting at the moment another architect with an opposing view will feel that he has to put the record straight and he'll post a rebuttal. The thread soon becomes a two poster battle of wits in the wrong forum leaving us O&O's scared and bewildered.

Apologies to all, for my slip up in manners, must have been the Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

As long as it wasn't MY rosé then we are all good. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I had a bottle of rosé here somewhere .... I remember snaffling it from OG's Drinky stash buying it in Tesco :(

I had a bottle of rosé here somewhere .... I remember snaffling it from OG's Drinky stash buying it in Tesco :(

Maybe it evaporated????????????

Seems to happen a lot around here:D

• Advertisement

Well after my misdemeanour the other night, I discovered we had only consumed 1/2 the bottle.

So I decided to try the other 1/2, and guess what, I think I am OK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement