Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finding the humidity and excess pressure is playing havoc with my eyes, three ocular migraines in the past 8 days two years ago when my sugars were in flux my retinopathy would be bursting at the seems thankfully things are more in control no bleeds so far have a review in a weeks time will be the first since January not looking forward to having my eyes dilated in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

banie01 wrote: »
    Yep can affect them greatly.
    Dependant on the form of control but some medications are really affected by the change in metabolism brought about by hot weather.
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-hot-weather.html

The key generally is to drink 2-3 litres of water everyday as this will help control your BG levels.
    We all get tempted on holidays but you still need to follow your healthy eating plan.
    Do keep a bottle of lucozade or similar handy, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Hello All,

I’ve a few questions if you can help. My employer wants me to work from Sligo. I’ve been looking at the HSE website and can’t seem to find if Sligo hospital has a diabetes clinic. All I can find is they are looking for a consultant. It looks like Galway and Letterkenny have clinics. So where do people in the Sligo area go? I’m all set up currently at Vincent’s in Dublin.

Another question I have is what are the current pump options in Ireland? I’d assume Medtronic. I’ve done all the courses for it and have been given the option by my doctor in Vincent’s. Although as above how would this affect moving to Sligo. Again all I can find is an article saying that for pump therapy you have to go to Dublin.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

Have you been going to vincents for long ? and how often do you go per year. if you have been going to vincents for a while and are happy with it their you might be better staying and just traveling to dublin for your appointment's. I switched hospitals and found it to be frustrating getting told different little things by the doctors and nurses in my new hospital compared to my first.

Have you been going to vincents for long ? and how often do you go per year. if you have been going to vincents for a while and are happy with it their you might be better staying and just traveling to dublin for your appointment's. I switched hospitals and found it to be frustrating getting told different little things by the doctors and nurses in my new hospital compared to my first.

Yes I’ve been going there since 2004. Typically I go twice a year, albeit there has been talk of only going once a year and getting the LTI book updated at a GP on the odd 6 months.

I would say it’s a good idea as it’s only going to be a 1-2 days a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

I go to Vincent's to the liver clinic twice a year, and it can be a bit of a journey but a day gets wasted (and a days work missed) when i go to my local hospital to the diabetic clinic as well. have you done the DAFNE course? as if you change i think galway is the nearest hospital to sligo who dose it i think.

my gp has always done my LTI book for me, never my consultant. just gave my gp the prescription my consultant gave me when first diagnosed and a updated prescription if there is any changes to meds.

I go to Vincent's to the liver clinic twice a year, and it can be a bit of a journey but a day gets wasted (and a days work missed) when i go to my local hospital to the diabetic clinic as well. have you done the DAFNE course? as if you change i think galway is the nearest hospital to sligo who dose it i think.

my gp has always done my LTI book for me, never my consultant. just gave my gp the prescription my consultant gave me when first diagnosed and a updated prescription if there is any changes to meds.

Thanks for this. Yes I’ve done DAFNE. So I guess getting the pump will probably mean I’d have to go to Galway or Dublin. If that’s the case then I’d stay with Vincent’s.

I thought I’d see what diabetics did in Sligo as it seems like services are lacking out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My pharmacist told me today that the accu chek multiclix lancets are now discontinued. What are other multiclix users using as an alternative? It seems to have been replaced by the fastclix but the comments online about that make it seem very awkward to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fast clix is hit and miss for me can take 3-5 goes if my eyes are weak or I'm sleepy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Contour USB next for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CramCycle wrote: »
    Contour USB next for the win.

i'm grand with the meter i have it is a new finger pricker i need

i'm grand with the meter i have it is a new finger pricker i need

Pick up any meter and you'll get one, ask in the clinic and they can probably pull out one from a kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I am returning from living in New Zealand having been away for 6 years. I am currently on an Animas pump. What do I have to do once I return to Ireland with regard to my diabetes care? I will be moving to Galway where I have no medical history.
    Will be able to stay on a pump? I can keep my existing pump but I am not sure of the availability of pump supplies in Ireland for the Animas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

ddarcy wrote: »
    Hello All,

I’ve a few questions if you can help. My employer wants me to work from Sligo. I’ve been looking at the HSE website and can’t seem to find if Sligo hospital has a diabetes clinic. All I can find is they are looking for a consultant. It looks like Galway and Letterkenny have clinics. So where do people in the Sligo area go? I’m all set up currently at Vincent’s in Dublin.

Another question I have is what are the current pump options in Ireland? I’d assume Medtronic. I’ve done all the courses for it and have been given the option by my doctor in Vincent’s. Although as above how would this affect moving to Sligo. Again all I can find is an article saying that for pump therapy you have to go to Dublin.

Thanks

They definitely have a diabetic clinic as my father is an insulin dependent diabetic and he lives in Sligo and has all his medical care seen to in Sligo general hospital. I'd ring them for the specifics though.

need to get your LTI sorted straight away. Pop into your GP (or hospital if you get an appointment) and get a script, then post it in with an LTi application form to your local office:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/lti/

Has most of the info.

Since you are on a pump already, there should be no issue staying on it, the main issues with pumps here appear to be getting onto them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

ddarcy wrote: »
    Hello All,

Thanks

My care was moved from St. Vincent's to Sligo when i left Dublin for work reasons.

There is a diabetes clinic in Sligo, but I wouldn't rate it very highly. It now being a university hospital means everytime I go there, I have to go through the whole case history over and over again, cos it's almost always somebody new seeing me.

I've asked about getting an insulin pump, and was placed on a list about 4 years ago. About 2 years back, my pump was delivered to Sligo, but they still haven't let me have it. Apparently there's training that needs to be done with the pump, and they haven't had "sufficient" numbers together to put this training on.

I get literature in the post from the manufacturer a fair bit, which is fairly frustrating.

I don't think Sligo has a Dietician either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Out of curiosity for Type 2 ,is low carb and fasting gaining any traction or raising any eyebrows? among others there is a Canadian Nephrologist Dr Jason Fung is reversing Type 2 in patients with low Carb and a fasting approach.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Out of curiosity for Type 2 ,is low carb and fasting gaining any traction or raising any eyebrows? among others there is a Canadian Nephrologist Dr Jason Fung is reversing Type 2 in patients with low Carb and a fasting approach.

Getting huge results in relation to low carb diets in the UK to the point where the NHS is looking hard at it. Gastric banding is also quite successful which basically takes the choice out of the patients hands.

I am not sure about flat out fasting but low carb and/or low calorie diets are certainly showing great results. At a talk recently, and the general feeling was few were permanent fixes unless the person kept it up, which in many cases was apparently quite hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Getting huge results in relation to low carb diets in the UK to the point where the NHS is looking hard at it. Gastric banding is also quite successful which basically takes the choice out of the patients hands.

I am not sure about flat out fasting but low carb and/or low calorie diets are certainly showing great results. At a talk recently, and the general feeling was few were permanent fixes unless the person kept it up, which in many cases was apparently quite hard to do.

you would think getting off or avoiding meds would be wakeup call most people need. I gather it could be difficult with older patients so there would need to be some support instead of just sending them on their way with a book of recipes and a diet plan.
    Interestingly I was listening to a podcast with Fung and he said with the gastric band the Diabetes clears up in a matter of weeks whereas the weight loss could take a year. His main focus is on getting the insulin levels down which seems logical

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fearsneachta in Poland

Hi all I’ve had type one diabetes for two years now. My glucose monitor that the hospital gave me broke down today. It’s an accu-chek Aviva. Does anyone know how on earth you get a new one. But then I am starting to think is there a better one that you can get under the illness book. I’m really lost with this. Any help would be much appreciated. (And it was all going so well!!!!!!)

• Advertisement

Your hospital or pharmacy will have a few free ones lying about. Some pharmacists will try and charge you but most get them FOC from companies so that you will order their strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hi all I’ve had type one diabetes for two years now. My glucose monitor that the hospital gave me broke down today. It’s an accu-chek Aviva. Does anyone know how on earth you get a new one. But then I am starting to think is there a better one that you can get under the illness book. I’m really lost with this. Any help would be much appreciated. (And it was all going so well!!!!!!)
    Are you sure its not just the battery ? Ask in a pharmacy to put a new battery in and try it out . I know this happens to my daughters monitor every few years
    A new battery and off it goes again as good as new

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Are you sure its not just the battery ? Ask in a pharmacy to put a new battery in and try it out . I know this happens to my daughters monitor every few years

Thanks I stuck a new battery in but no luck!!

For some of the newer ones, not all, that don't do calibration, they recommend you do not go over a year. I cant give the reasoning behind that date, it came straight from the DSN.

For some of the newer ones, not all, that don't do calibration, they recommend you do not go over a year. I cant give the reasoning behind that date, it came straight from the DSN.

Thank you I will let my daughter know .

Thanks I stuck a new battery in but no luck!!

Ask the pharmacy for a new monitor and some strips . Then next time in GP or clinic ask the to write Glucostrips ( not specific to a monitor ) then just tell pharmacist which ones you need .

Ask the pharmacy for a new monitor and some strips . Then next time in GP or clinic ask the to write Glucostrips ( not specific to a monitor ) then just tell pharmacist which ones you need .

Thanks. Is there a better sort of monitor that I can get on the illness book?

Thanks. Is there a better sort of monitor that I can get on the illness book?

The pharmacist just handed one out to my daughter . It wasn't even prescribed on the book . The manufacturer hand the monitors out for free as its the strips that cost . Sorry I am not sure which one is best though
    Explain you dilemma to the pharmacist as you can't be without one . Try a few if first one doesn't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

The pharmacist just handed one out to my daughter . It wasn't even prescribed on the book . The manufacturer hand the monitors out for free as its the strips that cost . Sorry I am not sure which one is best though
    Explain you dilemma to the pharmacist as you can't be without one . Try a few if first one doesn't have one

Blood glucose meters don’t need to be prescribed on your LTI book and neither do the strips. Strips are listed in the list of approved diabetic medicines supplied by the HSE. I think this list is called diabetic list A or B, I can’t recall. Get whatever meter you want by ringing up the manufacturer (I use an accu check mobile) and get your strips from Chemist

• Advertisement

thehorse wrote: »
    Blood glucose meters don’t need to be prescribed on your LTI book and neither do the strips. Strips are listed in the list of approved diabetic medicines supplied by the HSE. I think this list is called diabetic list A or B, I can’t recall. Get whatever meter you want by ringing up the manufacturer (I use an accu check mobile) and get your strips from Chemist

This is great. Did a google on the accu check mobile and it is much better. Thanks for the advice

Advertisement