Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

pew wrote: »
    Beaumont put forward a list of their diabetic patients and those who had vaccine appointments were contacted via text message with a time and date, what vaccine you were getting and you had to reply yes or no

Same process for the UHL diabetes cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Just to add for my own experience Beaumont were great they really were.

The lady I got was so thorough and pleasant to deal with. She talked me through my reservations about the vaccine ( blood clots for me due to my age and gender) listed out all possible side effects. And reassured me that if I did not want to go through with it I didnt have to, I was under no obligation to take the vaccine if I was unsure. She did confirm with me multiple times and asked if I was comfortable taking it.

I never once felt pressured into getting it.

I do suggest if anyone is feeling nervous or anxious about it speak to your gp or diabetic team. At the end of the day they have your best interests at heart.

I swear I'm not sponsored by AstraZeneca or Beaumont :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

I was notified of my vaccination by post. This surprised me and it’s more costly too...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

banie01 wrote: »
    Same process for the UHL diabetes cohort.

Where were you sent from UHL? I’m waiting on cohort 4 respitory problem vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Where were you sent from UHL? I’m waiting on cohort 4 respitory problem vaccine.

Yep, if you are under Noctor in UHL all their patients were afaik forwarded to the Vaccination programme.

I don't know what other patients were, I mean I know of isolating cancer patients who've yet to be contacted and others I'd have put as far more at risk than myself.
    That said, I was happy to get the message and the jab.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dubstarr wrote: »
    Can anyone help me regarding bread.
    I dont eat a lot of it but i miss having toast.Whats the best low carb bread and where can i buy it.
    Just don't eat much would be my advice i.e. only have one slice of the bread you like rather than two slices of a bread you don't.
    davork wrote: »
    My HbA1C is 58 (tested Mar 26th, down from 100 in Mar 2019, and 69 about the same time in Mar 2020). Weight is also down from ~100kg to 88kg
    Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

davork wrote: »
    Vaccines...

My HbA1C is 58 (tested Mar 26th, down from 100 in Mar 2019, and 69 about the same time in Mar 2020). Weight is also down from ~100kg to 88kg

So strictly speaking, I'm in cohort 4, but who knows ( linky https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/ with the wording "Diabetes and HbA1C ≥58mmol/mol" )

I have had my first AZ jab, no side effects, but I probably had COVID in Jan 2020 (yes last year) - after catching it in the US (a few of the people I was with also had the same 'bad flu symptoms'). We thought nothing of it, and by the time the start of COVID was pushed further and further back from Mar 2020 to Sep 2019 (by testing water plant stool samples(!)), it was probably too late to get a blood test - not that the GP had any interest in organizing one! As an aside, the brain fog has pretty much gone now as has the anxiety I suddenly gained early last year...

For a data point - My Blood sugar has been consistently reading higher across the board, on the same diet and more walking! Thighs are burning more than usual (for me, indicates a blood sugar spike and lo and behold, its gone from 8.5 to 9.8 in the past hour - time for a walk! )
    Hi Davork,
    Can I ask, what, in general, does your diet consist of?
    I am struggling with the weight a bit and need to lose a good bit at this point. Am getting my 30 minutes walks in most days and some days more but really need to focus on the diet for the next few months.

Anyone here from James get called in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

RTE news : NIAC to recommend restriction of AZ jab to over-60s

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0412/1209247-coronavirus-vaccine-ireland/

I wonder what impact this will have on those of us who have already recieved a first dose of AZ

Will we still be given a second dose after the 12 weeks or will we be moved to the Pfizer or Johnson and Johnson?

Donutz wrote: »
    RTE news : NIAC to recommend restriction of AZ jab to over-60s

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0412/1209247-coronavirus-vaccine-ireland/

I wonder what impact this will have on those of us who have already recieved a first dose of AZ

Will we still be given a second dose after the 12 weeks or will we be moved to the Pfizer or Johnson and Johnson?

I'd expect we'd be given a second dose as was the original plan - otherwise it's a disaster and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

CramCycle wrote: »
    Anyone here from James get called in yet?

Nope

kippy wrote: »
    I'd expect we'd be given a second dose as was the original plan - otherwise it's a disaster and a half.

The impression I got this morning from the talks from NIAC and NPHET were that the 2nd dose would be administered but there would be a longer wait time between doses than expected. Not sure if there is data there to back up this stance, but I presume there is (or at least hope). The risk is still very low of having issues, at this point I would take it in the morning but I am no longer a spring chicken sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

CramCycle wrote:
    The impression I got this morning from the talks from NIAC and NPHET were that the 2nd dose would be administered but there would be a longer wait time between doses than expected.

That's what I took from it except that we would still be given the 2nd dose at 12 weeks rather than 16 weeks.

People who have already received a first dose and who do not have a long term illness would be pushed back to 16 weeks.

Not sure if there is data there to back up this stance, but I presume there is (or at least hope). The risk is still very low of having issues, at this point I would take it in the morning but I am no longer a spring chicken sadly.

According to Dr Glynn last night you have a 1 in 100000 chance of developing rare blood clot and a 1 in 10000000 chance of dying. At least that's what I think he said.
    That's extremely low and I'm a but surprised that they are making a big deal out of it if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Donutz wrote: »
    According to Dr Glynn last night you have a 1 in 100000 chance of developing rare blood clot and a 1 in 10000000 chance of dying. At least that's what I think he said.
    That's extremely low and I'm a but surprised that they are making a big deal out of it if that is the case.

I think its more the media attention that this is getting, these things come up all the time in Phase IV trials but they are usually over a prolonged period of time, it gets listed as an ultra rare complication to look out for but unless there is an identifying feature, it doesn't stop a treatment. It also is the case that unlike other drug trials, they have to way up the risk of Covid vs the drug. In this case, numbers are dropping and as such, the risk of actually catching it is as well, which tilts the balance in favour of being uber precautionary. If the numbers were higher and growing, they wouldn't be as precautionary.

This said, I heard the head of the national blood clotting treatment hospital (I cannot remember the name or Anagram, apologies). Her view was that its not related to typical clotting issues and is an immune response, so having clotting issues before does not appear to be related to likelihood of the issue developing. Also that if you have had the first does without issue, the second dose is unlikely to spark it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Feck it! I'd take the second dose in 4 week if offered, although I have had flu like symptoms for well over a week (aches and pains in back tenderness around kidney area and chesty cough) it hasn't killed be so roll on 2nd dose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I listened to that interview on Morning Ireland with Butler of NIAC, total disaster really. She ended up undermining her own argument for the ban. How the feck can a 1/1,000,000 shot be considered worth even a days pause or a change in cohort? If only one person dies due to the roll-out being delayed it'll be one too many and NIAC will shrug

An abundance of caution is now a screen for hiding behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Just sharing an interesting website I found which might help someone else learn more about their diabetes or have better control

https://dtc.ucsf.edu/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

I was due to get AZ in the Aviva today but this was canceled due to the AZ decision. When anyone who had an appointment canceled hears anything about a new appointment let us know! I'm thinking it could be a couple of months though :/

imfml wrote: »
    I was due to get AZ in the Aviva today but this was canceled due to the AZ decision. When anyone who had an appointment canceled hears anything about a new appointment let us know! I'm thinking it could be a couple of months though :/

It won't be a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uli84

I’m with Mater Hosp and haven’t heard anything, in fairness though type 1/2 diabetes is scheduled for May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jab done now waiting the for the side effects beyond a sore upper arm, also just got my retinopathy done so I've just about had enough of being a diabetic for the time being! :)

Got the results back - no change in my "slight background retinopathy" thought it would be nice to have known if I was slightly more or less slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi all
    I have been lucky enough to get the Freestlye Libre and its certainly a game changer so far!
    I have a very active lifestyle, I exercise every day, lots of different activities....
    To anybody in martial arts, can you train with others in a dojo, including sparring, with a sensor on your arm?
    Same query for wearing a wetsuit (for triathlons or surfing)?
    (I know, totally academic at the moment but at some stage all activities will resume in the future....)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pickboosgo

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi all
    I have been lucky enough to get the Freestlye Libre and its certainly a game changer so far!
    I have a very active lifestyle, I exercise every day, lots of different activities....
    To anybody in martial arts, can you train with others in a dojo, including sparring, with a sensor on your arm?
    Same query for wearing a wetsuit (for triathlons or surfing)?
    (I know, totally academic at the moment but at some stage all activities will resume in the future....)

I don't do any of them sports so I don't know for sure, but I think a wetsuit could possible cause compression lows so your reading might be off while wearing it but work again after.
    I would say you would be best getting tapes and maybe even a strap like thishttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084FK2QPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_S1GVAQ2QC3JJ6WCDE6F0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 to lessen the odds of it getting knocked off

I know from my time with the Libre that it held up well with sweating in bike races and it took a fair amount of force to get it off, almost to be leveraged so I wouldn't be overly concerned. Maybe an arm warmer or similar over it to reduce the risk of someone accidentally grabbing it in a throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

CramCycle wrote: »
    I know from my time with the Libre that it held up well with sweating in bike races and it took a fair amount of force to get it off, almost to be leveraged so I wouldn't be overly concerned. Maybe an arm warmer or similar over it to reduce the risk of someone accidentally grabbing it in a throw.

I have lost maybe 7 or 8 sensors over the years to simple things like removing jumpers and it has pulled on the sensor and they are expensive to replace. I would let people know if I was going to try a combat sport with the sensor on.

I have lost maybe 7 or 8 sensors over the years to simple things like removing jumpers and it has pulled on the sensor and they are expensive to replace. I would let people know if I was going to try a combat sport with the sensor on.

Sorry, when i think about it, mine came off in the oddest of circumstances, so it would stay on sweating buckets, in showers, direct blows but if I skimmed a door frame or like you, taking of a fitted jumper/long sleeved t shirt it would peel off with ease. I had completely forgotten that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Xofpod wrote: »
    Nope

Nope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Has anyone had an experience of not being able to attend their allotted vaccination appointment? Were you able to reschedule?

I got my first shot of Az a couple of weeks ago. I’ve no idea if I’ll be getting a second shot of it or if I’ll get a Pfizer jab. So I am unsure when I’ll get my second appointment. It is looking like we may have inter county travel in June and I am chomping at the bit to get away from Dublin for a break. Looking on Airbnb July and August appear booked out and June is very limited. So I want to book a week in June now. If my appointment arrives for sometime that week I’m nervous about the consequences. June 3rd would be 12 weeks since my first jab. Were they keeping to 12 weeks exactly? I know Pfizer was 4 weeks to the day.

Any ideas are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

AhHaor wrote: »
    Nope :(

And still nope here re vaccine appointment out of the James service.

Advertisement