Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skull Girls discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sairus wrote: »
    donations putting you into a raffle for a dual modded SG TE

Do you know if you need to donate during the live stream to be entered in for the stick?

Stream is gonna be on 2am to 8am GMT :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Do you know if you need to donate during the live stream to be entered in for the stick?

Stream is gonna be on 2am to 8am GMT :(

Yep, needs to be during the stream. I can go in on your behalf if you want. I wasn't going to enter.

Also, apparently some Japanese ST player said he'd donate up $50,000 to have the game at EVO. It's now sitting at $34,500 which puts it in the lead.

What an idiotic way to decide on an EVO slot! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Squigly footage:

In other news, after the surprise showing in the donation drive SG has been added to UFGT9 and CEO 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

On top of that, the Smash community was so impressed that several of them are interested in seeing Skullgirls at Genesis 3, one of their tournaments. Words from a TO of Genesis 3. There's some skepticism, but a looot of love in the thread.

Squigs is way too adorable. That forward walk. Great little gift to give to all those watching the stream too.
    Guess it's time for me to back and practice Gen in preparation for her stance sheniangans..

And it's really nice to see SG to start getting picked up for toirnaments. Hopefully it can maintain the buzz surrounding it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So now I have to hear "Doom" AND "Squiggley" AND "Bryan" being mentioned at FG tournaments?

God help me if SG, Tekken, and Marvel are played on the same day sometime!

God help me if SG, Tekken, and Marvel are played on the same day sometime!
    I find it entertaining that you think Skullgirls will ever have tournaments in Ireland :pac:

Top 8 of the BYOC Evo SG tournament will be streamed.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/02/04/skullgirls-gets-cash-exhibition-support-at-evo-2013/

I'm glad, it didn't sit right that an ancient franchise game famed for its bickering splintered community should get streamed over a brand new, almost fan created, indie developed game which probably needs the exposure a whole lot more.

I'm realise I'm likely to sound like I'm repeating myself, but here goes: Melee is arguably my favourite game ever. I like it way more and am more skilled at it than I could ever be at Skullgirls.

But I still wanted to see Skullgirls at Evo.

The reasons are pretty simple:
    • Being at Evo would really help the sales of Skullgirls, but wouldn't do anything for Melee, Brawl or Smash 4 (Smash Bros is already a very strong brand in US, not so much in Europe)
    • Those sales would help the Skullgirls company not go bankrupt, Nintendo is not in such any such situation.
    • Mike Z and the Skullgirls staff really want SG at Evo, Nintendo (trust me on this one), couldn't care less.
    • SG was specifically developed with awesome factors in mind to make it more convenient for tournament play (auto-button check, tournament mode etc). The most recent Smash game that was released was specifically designed to make it UNviable for tournament play...

Being honest I don't even know why the Melee community wants to be at evo so bad. It's not like their 12 year old community will fracture and die without Evo support. Aside from their top players having a crack at a decent prize pool (a prize pool they had to spend 94k to buy their way into...)

I fully expect the fracturing/dying to happen when Smash 4 is released on Wii U and 3DS; and no amount of Evo participation is going to change that.

So yeah, I'm glad SG got a commiseration prize for a good showing, but I'm disappointed it didn't win.

Melee casuals at Evo overnighter anyone? :pac:

Being honest I don't even know why the Melee community wants to be at evo so bad.
    From lurking on the SmashWorld forums I gather the main reason is that everyone hates Melee. They wanted to show everyone that it can stand toe to toe with 'real fighters'

Regardless of that reason I really wanted SG at EVO for the reasons you outlines above.

• Advertisement

Woohoo~

Skullgirls coming to Japanese PSN

Now to start Tempest.co.jp

Also, MikeZ was on Cross Counter tonight.

He talked about a bunch of stuff and showed more Squigly animations at about 0:50:00. He also revealed that she will be crowd funded. They actually are delaying that crowd fund initiative by a few weeks because the donation poll happened right during their original planned start.

Ravidrath then posted on SRK with some more details:
    But, yeah, we're crowdfunding her! This won't be a typical crowdfunding thing, though: when she comes out she'll be free for a limited time for everyone, and after three months or so, her price will go up to $5. This is to add a "ticking clock" element to it and try to minimize possible freeloaders, and encourage people to pay $5 now if they were planning on doing it the "normal" way.

We're still finalizing the rewards, but I can say that we'll have PC codes w/ beta access for one of the tiers. I think people should be excited about, since it means they'll get to playtest characters in development and provide feedback, something that... really doesn't happen outside of Japan? Or even inside of Japan, unless you're Daigo or something.

And...

The first stretch goal is a male character.
    The free to download thing is an interesting route to go - especially after a Kickstarter, but he goes on to explain some of the reasoning for it:
    The "free for everyone" bit is actually because this method is a lot cheaper than the alternative.

Sony and MS charge for codes, and it would be really expensive to buy them for everyone and distribute them. So this is a good way to work around that, and also hopefully get more people interested in the game, too.

You can take the Sairus out of Ireland, but you can't take the Skullgirls Rep/RS.ie reporter/TO out of Sairus!

You can take the Sairus out of Ireland, but you can't take the Skullgirls Rep/RS.ie reporter/TO out of Sairus!
    If only I spent all this time actually getting good at Skullgirls :pac:

Also, a fairly great screencap from Squigly's snap back:

5yd890.png

:cool: Dat ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Downloaded this game at the weekend, and by jaysus it's brilliant.

The Skullgirl on Nightmare setting is bloody impossible.

Nascimento wrote: »
    Downloaded this game at the weekend, and by jaysus it's brilliant.

The Skullgirl on Nightmare setting is bloody impossible.

360 or PS3? Would be interested in some games if it's the former.

Yreval wrote: »
    360 or PS3? Would be interested in some games if it's the former.
    If he's playing Nightmare mode he's on PS3 - that was added in the patch.

And yep, Nightmare is ridiculous (moreso than actual Ridiculous). I tried it a couple of times with a 3 person team and it just wasn't happening. I need to try it with Valentine and use her poisons to cheat it out.

What characters are you using?

Finished it with Filia on Ridiculous, and then tried Nightmare with Cerebella (possibly my fav character).

But I can't throw the Skullgirl, so it's a right royal pain in the rear.

(And yeah I'm on ps3)

Woo~ It came out in Japan yesterday. Man it was beautiful just being able to play ranked and unranked all night. Actual people playing Skullgirls! Who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Anythings possible in a land where fighters are actually popular. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New Skullgirls forum:
    http://skullheart.com/

• Advertisement

This game really is the business.

Beautiful to look at, and every character has superb tools for their fighting style.

Cannot believe I let it go a year before trying it out.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/02/21/skullgirls-currently-the-1-downloadable-playstation-3-title-in-japan/
    Only a week after its release, Skullgirls has taken Japan by storm, quickly climbing to the #1 slot on the PlayStation Network’s list of top downloadable PlayStation 3 titles.

G'wan Skullgirls!

(actually kind of surprised something drawn by Westerners is doing well there)

The crowdfunding thing starts on Monday and Big Band has been revealed to be the first extra DLC character stretch goal.

6PF2EIK.jpg

He's described as playing like 3S Q, but good. He's all charges with anti-air and command grabs.

Also, $30 in the Squigly fund will get you a PC Beta key and a Squigly TF2 hat.

Info on the crowd funding thing can be seen here: http://skullheart.com/forums/index.php?threads/salty-cupcakes-news-squigly-crowdfunding-and-more.175/

and here: http://skullheart.com/forums/index.php?threads/salty-cupcakes-news-big-band-confirmed-as-first-male-dlc-character.284/

I'm a little sad its not tank arm megatron panzer dude but he looks cool too.

I should really play this game, it sounds like it's fun now.

The crowd funding page is now active!
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing

Lots of information about Squigly and everything else in the description. The top tiers sold out in seconds. They really should have had more of those.

CostBreakdown.jpg

Squigly's got some really interesting mechanics going on. She's a Johnny from Guilty Gear style stance character, meaning she has command stances as opposed to swapping between entire playstyles like Gen.

Her tag out will leave a tombstone on the ground. Tagging her back in will always have her appear at that spot, so her raw tag can be used as a trap or in combos.

She also has a move where she forces the screen to center on her, dragging the opponent towards her. This can be used as an assist, so it'll really open combo doors.

She's also able to interact with corpses somehow, but it hasn't been said how that works yet. Life or meter gain maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I threw 30 bucks for the Steam pre-order and beta access!

I wanted one of the Patron Saint $1000 tiers to get a character design in one of the stages, but by the time I got money transferred into my debit card account and put a bid in they were gone. I missed it by less than a minute :(

She's currently on $130,000 of the needed $150,000 after just 15hours of being open.

They're unveiling potential DLC characters to be included in the vote for the third character every $20,000 and the roster currently looks like this:

DLC_Lineup_Uncovered02.png

For those not interested in waiting and would rather put my obsessive knowledge of Skullgirls trivia to use, the lines are arranged in character groups:

Line 2: Lab 8 (Peacock's crew)
    Stanley Whitefin, Hive, LeDuc, Illeum, Brain Drain, Andy Anvil

Line 3: Cirque de Carte (Cerebella's crew)
    Feng, unnamed Jack, unnamed Hearts, Regina, Beatrix

Line 4: Miscellaneous
    Unnamed Medici Mafia Enforcer, Eliza, Yu Wan, Minette, Beowulf, Scythana

Line 5: The Black Egrets (Parasoul's crew)
    Roxie the Riveter, Juju, Panzerfaust, Adam, Molly(?)

Line 6: Villains
    ? (possibly Irvin), Venus Lovelace, Aeon, Samson (Filia's parasite)

Wow man, a thousand bucks? You must really, really like Skullgirls :pac:

Toying with the idea of getting the $30 one, but then I might just wait...

EDIT: You must have been number 17 so. When I checked the site, it said 17 of 16 sold!

• Advertisement

Nascimento wrote: »
    Wow man, a thousand bucks? You must really, really like Skullgirls :pac:

Toying with the idea of getting the $30 one, but then I might just wait...

EDIT: You must have been number 17 so. When I checked the site, it said 17 of 16 sold!
    I dunno, everyone else on the board will probably tell you I only have a passing interest in Skullgirls ;D

And nope! I was trying to get in on the first batch when it was only 8 places. I went to sleep and when I woke up they'd expanded to 16 - all of which were already full. :(

Advertisement