Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skull Girls discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I actually thought they were going black and white, and I thought it looked really cool :D

I'm slightly disappointed it's in colour!

Is this going to be a disc release?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Nar, PSN and XBLA I think.

There were a few gameplay vids put up a while back that had less complete sprites. I'm really glad they shaded and coloured them properly - I thought the old ones were the finished product and looked blegh.

It's a shame a game with such nice looking sprites and an apperantly great combat system has a trailer like this that doesn't really flaunt the gameplay much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

They just keep popping up lately..
    Don't forget:
    http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/19/the-two-types-of-fighters-in-phantom-breaker/
    and
    http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/2/21/aquapazza-debut-trailer.html
    This actually took an SBO main slot too for 2011 without even being released yet. Up there with ST and SSF4 AE :confused: (Although they are actually splitting SBO into two separate events this year)

Chaos code is probably the most anime looking game I've ever seen. That Hisoutensoku CMV was awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?9000-Skullgirls&p=957545&viewfull=1#post957545
    It's okay for me to say this - netcode starts with a G, ends with an O, has a G and a P in the middle. Not "like" it, not "based on" it, really it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

GGPO is the best necode over short distances....but I still don't believemits best over longer laggier connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

An interview with the developers and playtest of Skullgirls is up on Giant Bomb : http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-skullgirls/17-3845/

The game looks better with the HUD and **** in place, but there's still an annoying disconnect between the characters and the backdrops.
    I'm still not gone on the art style, but the quality of the sprites is really nice. Cerebella in particular has some sweeeet animations.
    Combat also looks fun, nothing too crazy.

EDIT:
    Here's an old repository of concept art for the game showing off the characters and extra stuff they've since trimmed from the game.
    http://community.livejournal.com/skullgirls/7736.html

I love how they've been slowly developing this game on the net for years, so there's heaps of concept sketches floating around. ****ing love that ****.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The comments on that video made my head hurt. So much HERP DERP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I see five different games here and every one of them involve a bunch of anime chicks beating each other up in the most improbably ways imaginable. Where's the creativity gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Define "anime".

Now go back and play Street Fighter.

SF is "anime".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I'm aware of what anime is :rolleyes:

Street Fighter isn't just a bunch of generic anime chicks - and I used the term in the most derogatively shallow sense possible, as it's not one I normally use - slapping each other around. The characters in Street Fighter are all very distinct from each other, barring maybe the shoto parade, but they have solid reasons for resembling each other. In all of these new games, it's basically the same cute bouncy bimbos in every shot. The blatant, shameless and over-the-top focus on fan service is what I find hilariously sad.

Maybe the games' mechanics are fine. It's the utter lack of creativity in the characters I'm getting at. Two games at the same time, I could let it slide, but five?

While you're at it, don't forget Tekken, King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Art of Fighting, Darkstalkers, Virtua Fighter, Toshinden, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

GGPO is the best necode over short distances....but I still don't believemits best over longer laggier connections.

Longer laggier connections are gonna be laggy no matter what the system so who cares

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I'm aware of what anime is :rolleyes:

Street Fighter isn't just a bunch of generic anime chicks - and I used the term in the most derogatively shallow sense possible, as it's not one I normally use - slapping each other around. The characters in Street Fighter are all very distinct from each other, barring maybe the shoto parade, but they have solid reasons for resembling each other. In all of these new games, it's basically the same cute bouncy bimbos in every shot. The blatant, shameless and over-the-top focus on fan service is what I find hilariously sad.

Maybe the games' mechanics are fine. It's the utter lack of creativity in the characters I'm getting at. Two games at the same time, I could let it slide, but five?
    All the same, Skull Girls' artstyle is much more Western than "generic anime".

And if you can't see the difference between Touhou's moe-blob style, and Chaos Code's more shounen/Guilty Gear lines... well, more fool you! :)

to be fair Kiki the ameranime style of Skull girls is to me night and day to the other games in this thread but I can also appreciate to someone who didn't read alot of comics or manga they'd look exactly the same. Li,e to an uninitiated person, Joey Mad would definitely look anime.

Ultimates3_01SecondPrintingVariant.jpg

I actually think the character design is intriguing, they're not all maids or schoolgirls for once.the skull gimmick is cool too.

I WISH manga looked that good...

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I WISH manga looked that good...

It can if you read the less mainstream ones since they have to produce a chapter once a week. usual the slower realase ones have better art and colour :P Kiki thought u knew this.

Well, I do read Claymore & Mahou Sensei Negima...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

generic and anime are SRK's favourite two words!

It's down to preference really..and in fact GGPO lets you strike a balance between rollback(GGPO code) and input delay(more typical netcode). There is no best when it comes to long distance games..the trade-off is either having a visually jarring game(heavy rollback) or having your inputs later than when you actually press them. The former can cause situations where you'll choose the wrong action based on what you see..the latter leads to dropped combos, more difficulty reacting to high/lows, etc.

Personally I can't stand high input delay and would take my chances with rollback 90% of the time. The biggest issue is that its hard adjusting when your input delay is varying all the time .You need to modify your timing every time it changes. With different levels of rollback, getting used to it is much easier.

Two more videos from GDC.

The ratio system is interesting - first time it's been tried in a tag-team fighter I think.

• Advertisement

Dear Capcom:

please observe how 2D art with 3D models SHOULD LOOK.

I have no idea whatsoever in how you think these characters come across as "young" :confused:

Western cartoons have a good history of sexually-confident female characters, I'd say.
    Even dating back to the earliest days.
    Hecatom wrote:
    the thing is that none of the chars are lolis

people like to throw the word to much without knowing what it means

loli != female

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

he didn't mention the word loli

stop being a horrible poster kiki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have no idea whatsoever in how you think these characters come across as "young" :confused:

Western cartoons have a good history of sexually-confident female characters, I'd say.
    Even dating back to the earliest days.

Lol no they don't, I would say the earliest rumblings of anything even approaching equality for female characters in cartoons/ comic books would be the the 80's but to this day virtually all are highly sexualised and are waaaaaay more likely to get killed off if they're the centre of a storyline then men.

Female characters virtually always appeared as an object of desire, of support, or in some secreatary like capacity for years.

Alias is a great comic as it actually forces you to confront some of your own personal stereotypes about women in pop culture you probably didn't even realise you had.

I would also suggest people interested in gender issues in pop culture perhaps start with the "women in fridges" concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

**** just got deep.

WE-NEED-TO-GO-DEEPER.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Inception

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Random feminism in gaming point while we're on the topic, but I'm actually pretty impressed with how much of a female showing MvC3 ended up having: Just over a third of the characters (Assuming Shuma and Sentinel qualify as "guys" and Ammy qualifies as a "girl").

Excluding all-girl titles like Skull Girls, and the "harem fighters"; I think it has one of the better female-to-male ratios of any mainstream fighting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Ammy qualifies as a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Sent's a robot. So's Zero.

And Shuma is a "spit in the eye of god".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Voa wrote: »
    Sent's a robot. So's Zero.

Aye, I know plotwise Zero is a robot, but from a design perspective he's clearly a "guy" robot, much in the same way as Roll is clearly a "girl" robot.

The only reason I gave Sentinel the benefit of possible ambiguity is because of his generic robot design and his "Text-as-speech" voice.

Advertisement