Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

The hat is fab, I don't know how to crochet but have wanted to learn for ages I bought cath kidson book of crochet today online to make up an order for free delivery, it says it teaches beginner crochet and comes with all the materials to crochet a cushion! Has anyone seen it before ? I'm hoping its good :)

This is a bolero I knit for my flower girl was my first piece of clothing to knit
    I'm happy enough with it , nearly fin my bridal bolero too can't wait to see how it looks all finished

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That's perfect well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I started knitting a scarf on Thursday and it was coming along quite well, and really quickly. I'd planned to keep it for myself, but it was a friend's birthday yesterday and I figured I'd have it finished in time, so I gave it to her and she LOVED it! :D I'm very proud, it's the first thing I've knitted properly and it turned out surprisingly well. Very happy with myself! :)

My advice is to photo ask your projects so you can do them again in a rush if you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The hat is fab, I don't know how to crochet but have wanted to learn for ages I bought cath kidson book of crochet today online to make up an order for free delivery, it says it teaches beginner crochet and comes with all the materials to crochet a cushion! Has anyone seen it before ? I'm hoping its good :)

Thank you. I'm sure you know this already but if you get stuck on anything, youtube has tutorials on almost any stitch.
    This is a bolero I knit for my flower girl was my first piece of clothing to knit
    I'm happy enough with it , nearly fin my bridal bolero too can't wait to see how it looks all finished

Your bolero is fantastic.

cofy wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm sure you know this already but if you get stuck on anything, youtube has tutorials on almost any stitch.

Your bolero is fantastic.

Thanks so much I'm really enjoying knitting clothes really good sense of accomplishment :)
    So I got the crochet kit it's a nice little set 6 balls of I'd say 25g wool a 4mm crochet hook and a little book of basic crochet stitches not bad for a tenner!
    I haven't started with it yet but after a quick look I think I will be going the you tube tutorial way. exciting learning new crafts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Pic of the wrist warmers that I finished last night. :)

IMGA0325.JPG

I now have 45 squares for my blanket done too. :)

Thanks for the pic love that wool I've done a few teddys in that!
    Well done really good piece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Pic of the wrist warmers that I finished last night. :)

IMGA0325.JPG

I now have 45 squares for my blanket done too. :)

They are lovely - what yarn did you use? I must get me some of that!

• Advertisement

I think it's the same as what I used for this teddy
    If it is I got this in dealz

Yep it's the same one from Dealz, it's called Grey Sparkle. It took a little bit less than one ball to make the two wrist warmers, the buttons were 25 cent each so it cost me just under €2 to make them. :)

That teddy is gorgeous! Where'd you get the pattern?

Yep it's the same one from Dealz, it's called Grey Sparkle. It took a little bit less than one ball to make the two wrist warmers, the buttons were 25 cent each so it cost me just under €2 to make them. :)

That teddy is gorgeous! Where'd you get the pattern?

I've been making that teddy for a few yrs so I'm not positive but I think I got it from ravelry.com
    It's really simple to make too it's what I used for re-starting knitting.

Love that wool and people always ask me to knit stuff for them with it, has a lovely look for a lovely price :)

If you want I can pm you teddy pattern I only have my modified one though not the original

It's really cute I have to say. The teddy pattern I have was even simpler so I want to try something a little bit more complicated. :)

I've bought a few different colours of that wool from Dealz and people always say it's lovely too. Definitely well worth the money. Actually while we're on the subject of cheap wool I got a 100g ball in a shop called Mr Price in Tullamore the other day for €1.99.

That would be great, thank you :)

Just in case anyone wants it, here is the pattern for the wrist warmers:

http://craftylittlesewnsew.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/free-knitting-pattern-fable-mitts/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks Cork_girl for starting this thread all those years ago. It's been some time now since I've knitted anything, but I ordered some new pattern books online and bought some wool and new needles today so kerry4sam will be slowly gaining more patience (much needed patience).

/I cannot exercise at the mo due to fracture in lower spine and needed a new hobby so back to the auld wool n needles with me while I rest :)

Wonderful forum here too btw. Can't wait to start exploring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah. I had a mini splurge on Deramores this week. They had Rowan wool at 20% off, so I bought some wool and a King Cole hat/scarf/wrap pattern. I've also bought some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran to make my husband a new beanie for one of his Christmas presents.

Must finish some of my projects and start getting the stash down. My husband's beginning to squawk, so have to hide the new wool! :D

I know, I am stash busting at the moment - its harder than you think!

My husband is a big redditor and he put me on to this http://www.reddit.com/r/knitting once you get used to navigating its very good!

O, my eyes! Looks like a website from 1995!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

aknitter wrote: »
    I know, I am stash busting at the moment - its harder than you think!

My husband is a big redditor and he put me on to this http://www.reddit.com/r/knitting once you get used to navigating its very good!

I find this very useful for knitting advice and whatnot. I recommend as well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Hi folks, just posting on behalf of a friend on the off chance that somebody might have any of the old "Maggie - The Wool From Donegal" knitting patterns from the Magee factory? She was informed by somebody that the factory itself doesn't have them anymore due to an unfortunate clean-up.

She would be willing to purchase the patterns, or if anybody's feeling generous, would love a scan or a good quality picture taken of any patterns.

• Advertisement

I have no idea if this is any help to you, but the two convent schools I went to had these. The school is gone now, but maybe try a convent?

First pics of wedding bolero, I still have to do the finishing e.g the rib on the front!
    And the pics don't show the lovely fluffiness of the mohair but I'm happy enough with it, it's nice and delicate so will hopefully suit the occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Looks beautiful. Well done! Now you have to give us a pic of you wearing it, so's we can get the full effect! :D

Looks beautiful. Well done! Now you have to give us a pic of you wearing it, so's we can get the full effect! :D

Lol! I have until march to prepare myself for that picture!!
    Very nervous about doing the rib as it's so delicate I don't want to fill it with holes as this will only be my second time to use a circular needle first was with the flower girl one I put pics of earlier and there were a few holes around the neck area!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

That bolero looks fantastic. Would it be worth doing up a few practice ones in acrylic or something that you can frog, but you can get the hang of?

I've started doing a blanket, I'm knitting loads of squares. I'm managing one a day, so it's going fairly fast.

How big are you doing your squares? Mine are 14cm x 14cm. They're small enough so I'm managing about 1-2 a day. Started a couple of weeks back, I'm up to 52 squares. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    That bolero looks fantastic. Would it be worth doing up a few practice ones in acrylic or something that you can frog, but you can get the hang of?

I've started doing a blanket, I'm knitting loads of squares. I'm managing one a day, so it's going fairly fast.

:D

I only found out what that meant a couple of weeks ago. Still makes me laugh to see it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

How big are you doing your squares? Mine are 14cm x 14cm. They're small enough so I'm managing about 1-2 a day. Started a couple of weeks back, I'm up to 52 squares. :D

Mine are 20x20, I'm managing to finish one a day. At the weekend I'll probably get more done.

vitani wrote: »
    :D

I only found out what that meant a couple of weeks ago. Still makes me laugh to see it.

What does it mean? :confused::o
    CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Mine are 20x20, I'm managing to finish one a day. At the weekend I'll probably get more done.

I really should have made mine bigger. :o

• Advertisement

Advertisement