Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

vitani wrote: »
    Made my first ruffle scarf last night with wool I got in Aldi at the weekend. It was 16C on the way to work this morning, but by god, I was wearing that scarf. :)

I want to make all my winter accessories this year.

My kids are 1 and 3 and I was cleaning out all the winter stuff I've made for them since I found I was pregnant with no.1 to make way for stuff that fits,

9 hats,
    2 scarves
    2 snoods
    7 mittens and
    5 sets of booties.

and thats just stuff for the charity shop, lots of odds found too.

Very easy to get carried away

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Probably a really obvious thing but I'm knitting my first piece of clothing " bridal bolero" I'm at the part of the back where I'm just finishing shaping the shoulders it says to bind off the rem 44 sts, do I just pull thru the wool , cast them off properly or just put it onto a spare needle there is a small rib to go around neck part later but I don't know if I pick it up or if I cast on new?? Sorry as I said virgin clothes knitter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bind off is Americanese (LOL) for cast off. So you cast off the stitches in order to finish shaping. The pattern should then tell you to join the shoulders and pick up the stitches to make the rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Bind off is Americanese (LOL) for cast off. So you cast off the stitches in order to finish shaping. The pattern should then tell you to join the shoulders and pick up the stitches to make the rib.

Thank you so much , that is exactly what the pattern tells me to do!! I'll be back when I'm trying to figure out how exactly I pick the sts back up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My kids are 1 and 3 and I was cleaning out all the winter stuff I've made for them since I found I was pregnant with no.1 to make way for stuff that fits,

9 hats,
    2 scarves
    2 snoods
    7 mittens and
    5 sets of booties.

and thats just stuff for the charity shop, lots of odds found too.

Very easy to get carried away

Not at the rate I knit! The ruffle scarf only took an evening to do, but usually I'm a slow knitter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

This isn't really knitting advice, just seeing if anyone can shed any light on this.

My gran used to love knitting, but one day she gave me her needles and stuff and said she had to stop because of her bad heart - apparently the doctor said it was bad for her heart (too exciting maybe). This was years ago and only recently have I come to question this... anyone know anything about it? Any doctors who would recommend their angina sufferers stop knitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

This isn't really knitting advice, just seeing if anyone can shed any light on this.

My gran used to love knitting, but one day she gave me her needles and stuff and said she had to stop because of her bad heart - apparently the doctor said it was bad for her heart (too exciting maybe). This was years ago and only recently have I come to question this... anyone know anything about it? Any doctors who would recommend their angina sufferers stop knitting?

If anything knitting would be good for her heart. It would relax her.

Strange doctor.:confused:

If anyone's interested, Vibes and Scribes have 15% off at the moment to celebrate the opening of their online shop.

The only thing I can think of is that he thought the constant movement of her arms might have caused a problem, but even that's a bit of a stretch. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes, it can happen. A friend of mine was also warned against knitting by her doctor because she has heart trouble. It think it must have been the tension (no pun intended). Her knitting tension was extremely tight which showed how tense she herself was. Knitting had no relaxing effect on her and only increased her heart rate.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Yes, it can happen. A friend of mine was also warned against knitting by her doctor because she has heart trouble. It think it must have been the tension (no pun intended). Her knitting tension was extremely tight which showed how tense she herself was. Knitting had no relaxing effect on her and only increased her heart rate.

That is interesting. I have never heard anything like that before.

I find knitting very calming, actually I have a knitting bag that says, 'I knit so I wont kill'

Its so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Big knitter

Hi all, I have the wool to knit Benjamin Bear, bought it in Aldi, but have mislaid the pattern. Can anyone help with a copy. Many thanks

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I find knitting very calming, actually I have a knitting bag that says, 'I knit so I wont kill'

Its so true.

I find knitting relaxing too. I was taught knitting in Home Economics class. We had to make a knitted stuffed duck. I wish I had of kept the pattern though I am sure I could find one online if I looked hard enough. :)

First thing I ever knit was a horrible pink scarf when I was 5, the nuns taught us how to knit, how I have no idea. I remember one nun saying my tention was a disgrace, I had no idea what she was talking about, but still she managed to get 14 5-year-olds to sit still and knit. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

The first thing I ever knit was a headband when I was about 7 :)

Does anyone else hate making up and finishing pieces? I love sewing usually but there's something about sewing something I've knitted that drives me mad. I finished knitting a cardigan for my daughter during the week but it's taking me nearly as long again to finish it off nicely.

I was the same but I learned how to properly steam and block and ladder stitch up my pieces recently. Before there were always disasters. I used to just start something else while wondering how I was going to fix the ill fitting item!

Is ladder stitch the same as mattress stitch? I just learned that in the past couple of weeks, and it's definitely making this cardigan look a lot better than any one I've previously made.

I just use back stitch on my pieces (which I HATE making up, BTW). Would that not be the right stitch to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

If anything knitting would be good for her heart. It would relax her.

Strange doctor.:confused:
    The only thing I can think of is that he thought the constant movement of her arms might have caused a problem, but even that's a bit of a stretch. Strange.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Jellybaby1, that must be it, I'm glad I wasn't just going completely mad anyway! :D Thanks for the replies vitani and candianwoman too!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I just use back stitch on my pieces (which I HATE making up, BTW). Would that not be the right stitch to use?

Mattress stitch gives a better finish over all, to me its like you're grafting the pieces together. I hate making up too but its worth taking the time to get it right. Which is why I am currently only making hats, toys and blankets!

Anyone seen the Tivoli Dash wool? It's really really nice and so easy to use. I made a black version of this long scarf the other day. I had it all done in a few hours, they'd be lovely Christmas presents! :)

dash-free-pattern.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm after getting back into knitting in a big way. Anyone have any recommendations for circular needles?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'm after getting back into knitting in a big way. Anyone have any recommendations for circular needles?

try to get a pair that have the size of the needle stamped on it, I have pony ones and they don't do that and I constantly figuring out which is which

Are they easy to use? A lot of patterns seem to call for them but I've only ever used straight needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Does anyone else hate making up and finishing pieces? I love sewing usually but there's something about sewing something I've knitted that drives me mad. I finished knitting a cardigan for my daughter during the week but it's taking me nearly as long again to finish it off nicely.

I hate sewing bits together or just in general, especially if I'm making amigurumi. I always seem to ruin the shape of whatever I've made when I go to sew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

aknitter wrote: »
    try to get a pair that have the size of the needle stamped on it, I have pony ones and they don't do that and I constantly figuring out which is which

Just a get a gauge ruler with the holes you can use for sizing. They are really cheap.

I love knitting in a round. Mostly cause I hate to purl :p making a scarf on circular needles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

anyone have a quirky mans christmas jumper pattern please

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Are they easy to use? A lot of patterns seem to call for them but I've only ever used straight needles.

I want them for the space! I'm making a cushion, and my long needles barely have the space on them for it.

Advertisement