Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭RiverOfLove

Spexy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've started knitting the blanket from Big and Little knitting Projects also, am looking to buy some of the wool in a shop though, would anybody know what I should ask for ? there are no details on the label, if it is DK or whatever, just that it's acylic/

I saw the recommended wool for that throw in the book or on the card. I forget which but I'll check it out later for you and write back here. I also saw that the throw will be completed with 60 issues. As far as I know as well the book/magazine will be out every fortnight so it seems like it's going to take a long time. 2 and half years if my maths are right. And pricy too with issues at 6.99. It does look lovely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can find similar patterns on Ravelry, I'm sure. Work out cheaper too! I'd also check sites like Black Sheep, Love Knitting and Deramores for patterns. They all have free patterns for download.

@ Spexy,

Don't worry I won't forget about your request. It will have to wait until tomorrow because I'm just after getting into bed.

I took a break from my blanket tonight and I began to knit a cap. Not for my head. It's for a doll. Just by chance earlier online I came across a pattern online and it looked very simple to knit and finish. I did a row or two of decreasing and it was turning out well. Then I dropped a stitch and I tried so hard to save it to put it back on the needle but I lost it. I casted the rest of the stitches off. It took the shape of a cap and I was so happy and proud of it. It was probably just as well I fceked up then because it probably wouldn't even fit the pet cat's ear never mind the dolls head that I had in mind. I know where I went wrong. I read about the term gauge but I never understood it but do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

shhling wrote: »
    Hi all I am just starting knitting for the first time ever. Went and got wool and needles yesterday. I am thinking of attempting a scarf and have looked at lots of videos on youtube. I was wondering is 90 stitches for the first row crazy? It looks right on the needle as to the width I would like

Depends on your patience, could end up ready for a/w 15!

What size needles and what yarn, chunky?

It will be about 20% wider than it looks on the needles unless you use purl.

Also have you thought about the edging?

My advice would be, size 8mm needles, chunky wool mix, say 20% and about 40 stitches, all in garter stitch. Nice easy starter scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Thanks for the response. My mum arrived out last night took one look at it and said it was way too wide so after me knitting it for 3 hours (I am really slow beginner) she rips its off. I googled it then and they recommended 30 stitches on a 6.5 which was the needle i had. Sure if i had stayed going i would nearly have ended up with a blanket!!!!! My mum hasn't knit in 20 years but it wasn't long coming back to her. Just a pity she didn't keep her patterns or needles but they all got misplace in a house move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The hat is going ok, I think. I couldn't master ribbing at the start, I just kept on making a massive tangle so I just did a few lines of plain knitting as a 'rib' instead and I actually think it looks better. I'm halfway through the orange part as of last night and once that is finished (hopefully tonight) the yellow part at the top should go quite quickly as I'll be reducing the amount of stitches every few lines to taper it in.

I couldn't get the exact shades of wool I wanted so I went with brighter shades and at the weekend I'm going to experiment with dyeing some knitted squares with a dark wash to see if I can bring it closer to the shades I want.

I'm going to practise ribbing at some other time when I'm not up against a deadline as I have an idea in my head about a jumper I might knit him. Though I'll have to learn Swiss Darning in order to manage it. Never thought I'd ever even think about making him a jumper but I really am enjoying making this hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spexy

I saw the recommended wool for that throw in the book or on the card. I forget which but I'll check it out later for you and write back here. I also saw that the throw will be completed with 60 issues. As far as I know as well the book/magazine will be out every fortnight so it seems like it's going to take a long time. 2 and half years if my maths are right. And pricy too with issues at 6.99. It does look lovely though.

Oh that would be great if you could check that out RiverOfLove. I knitted the first square in 2 hours so it's too long to wait in between issues, also, at 6.99 it is a bit pricey. I might bring the wool to a wool shop to see if they can identify the type it is and work my own pattern. The wool is nice and chunky and the big needles mean you'd knit it quicker than 2 years. 6.99 x 60 is about 420 euro............ a bit pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Oh that would be great if you could check that out RiverOfLove. I knitted the first square in 2 hours so it's too long to wait in between issues, also, at 6.99 it is a bit pricey. I might bring the wool to a wool shop to see if they can identify the type it is and work my own pattern. The wool is nice and chunky and the big needles mean you'd knit it quicker than 2 years. 6.99 x 60 is about 420 euro............ a bit pricey.

What you could do is get the first four issues and knit a large throw using just the pattern for the first four squares.

Hello, I checked out the book and the large cards and the bits of advertising and subscription papers that came with issue and I thought I saw something on the type of wool/yarn used for the throw but I checked it out anyways and there wasn't anything mentioned after all. Aside from the small print throw will be complete with 60 issues.

Your best bet would be what you mentioned above perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I've just learned to knit in the last few weeks, I'm really enjoying it! :) I also got the first big and little knitting projects book, I'm not sure if I'll keep getting it or not though. I might just see what the theme is each fortnight and judge it on that.

I knitted the first throw square from it as something to practise, but I haven't really done anything other than that bar scraps of wool that I've tried out different techniques on. I don't really know what I want to attempt first!

It's done! My hat is done! :D:D:D

Well very nearly done anyway. I still need to stitch it together and do the pompom but all the knitting is done. I can't actually believe it. I did it all in just 3 days of knitting too! I'm feeling like I've superpowers!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm doing quite well with my blanket. 17 squares done and another 2 that I mightn't include because I'm a bit iffy about them. I wanted to include a few patches with something simple like a heart or something in a different colour to the main colour but I don't know how to go about it at all. :p

Google a chart fit a heart, it will be squares with a black squares where you change colours.

Then look for inertia on YouTube. This is knitting in 2 colors in one row.

I can do this fine but my tention goes out the window.

To be honest, I'd do stripes instead for the blanket as you want each square uniform.

I've been doing either plain ones or stripes for that reason because I'm nervous of trying anything else. :p

Tbh I probably could do it but I need all the squares to be the same size.

Where is the best place for good value chunky wool? I've seen lots of nice double knit for low prices but I'd like some bright coloured chunky wool/yarn for a jumper. I don't want to spend too much in case I mangle it. I'm happy to buy online if it's better value.

iguana wrote: »
    Where is the best place for good value chunky wool? I've seen lots of nice double knit for low prices but I'd like some bright coloured chunky wool/yarn for a jumper. I don't want to spend too much in case I mangle it. I'm happy to buy online if it's better value.

Deramores and Black Sheep are the best places to buy cheap chunky (sounds like dog food!) online. In particular, check out the clearance section on Black Sheep. There's some serious bargains to be had. Or else Vibes and Scribes which are Irish.

Thanks ABajinin, I'm looking for new wool now. Can't wait to get started on my next project. What do people think would be a better idea for a beginner. A plain jumper with a picture embroidered on to it with swiss darning or to knit the picture in as I go. I'm leaning toward the darning as I think it would be easier but that's just a guess.

This is my hat and my little guy wearing it.
    DSC01183.jpg
    DSC01177.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Nearly finished my bridal bolero!! I just have a sleeve left to do, it's turning out really well with the mohair although I do wish I was able to get angora for the fluffiness

Nearly finished my bridal bolero!! I just have a sleeve left to do, it's turning out really well with the mohair although I do wish I was able to get angora for the fluffiness

Well done!

• Advertisement

Well done!

Thanks I'm delighted as before this I only ever knit toys with cheap dk wool, will post up some pics when it's finished hopefully will be done by the end of the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Fantastic!
    We want to see pics !!! :)
    It'll be lovely to sit back in years to come and say, while looking at the pictures, "I made this myself" :)

You have another few months ahead of you ... why don't you try to get angora wool and consider the mohair project as a trial run ? :)

ValerieR wrote: »
    Fantastic!
    We want to see picsc !!! :)
    It'll be lovely to sit back in years to come and say, while looking at the pictures, "I made this myself" :)

You have another few months ahead of you ... why don't you try to get angora wool and consider the mohair project as a trial run ? :)

I'm gonna see what way this looks when it's all finished but I don't think I'd like to do another I've put effort into this and if I didn't use it on the day it would never be used for anything!
    Fingers crossed the finishing all goes well :)

Dont give up on it, you may be able to brush it or felt it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Then look for inertia on YouTube. This is knitting in 2 colors in one row.

intarsia, maybe?

Yes of course, I would have thought google would have known what I'm trying to say be now!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

All, just a update on the blanket.
    Managed to knit the second side and sew them together.....Brother, sis in law and new baby love it.
    I'll have to post pics of the finished product when I get a chance.

All, just a update on the blanket.
    Managed to knit the second side and sew them together.....Brother, sis in law and new baby love it.
    I'll have to post pics of the finished product when I get a chance.

Def post pics I love to see other peoples knitting :)

I'm doing quite well with my blanket. I have 34 squares done and another one half done, I'm doing them in 5's so I have 7 different squares. Need to get some ideas to vary them a bit. I might do some with stripes and lay them vertically when I'm sewing up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

This is a hat I have just crocheted for my daughter

j7wa.jpg

Advertisement